THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Lights - halogen or xenons?

11-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #45
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I wanted the xenons, but my dealer had a leftover car that had been sitting a long time. It has the halogens on it. Honestly, I'm not disappointed in their performance, and only really miss the cool halo look.

What is disappointing to me is the fact that for $45,000 I don't even get projector lenses...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #46
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

In my country, all pre ordered models come with Bi xenons. I don't see a good point against them!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #47
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

The only reason I got the xenon lights was for the LED angel lights.
I felt it was kind of ridiculous to drive a premium modern car with an outdated daylight driving light.
I don't drive much during night time and BMW standard halogen lights are actually pretty decent.
The xenon lights are brighter but it doesn't really mean you can see better
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #48
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

My first car with Xenon and I don't think I will ever go back. I haven't assessed the specific different in range of illumination, but there is a white crispness to the light which gives me the subjective feeling of seeing better, further, wider. Also, the turning feature is very helpful. Don't care much about the DRL rings about the headlamps which light up....just another appearance fad like Audi's design. The data I've seen on DRL is not persuasive as to their value, as most of the work was done in Canada where dusk/dawn hours are quite different. And, when the sun sets, the automatic headlamp feature does the job.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #49
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

While xenon lights give whiter and appeareance of extended range coverage they do not provide more contrast information.
This has to do with human eye different sensitivities at different wave ranges.
You can easily test this with different LED flashlights with different color temperature pointed at text on white sheet.
It is easier to read text with LED flashlights with lower color temperature than those with brighter light with higher color temperature.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #50
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
While xenon lights give whiter and appeareance of extended range coverage they do not provide more contrast information.
You can easily test this with different LED flashlights with different color temperature pointed at text on white sheet.
It is easier to read text with LED flashlights with lower color temperature than those with brighter light with higher color temperature.
Interesting.....well, it does feel better and life is a thoroughly subjective experience!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #51
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Xenon light does have one advantage of providing more even coverage (in addition to the added adaptive feature) due to use of projector lenses.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #52
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

The lighting package is a must!
I'd sacrifice another option for the lighting package.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #53
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG 228i View Post
The lighting package is a must!
I'd sacrifice another option for the lighting package.
I sacrified HK option to get the lighthing package and I must say that was the best sacrified I've made
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #54
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Anyone have their daytime running lights turned off all the time ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Anyone have their daytime running lights turned off all the time ?
I haven't done it yet, but have been thinking about doing that. When I saw the cooling fins on top, I figured I might be better off in the long run not generating all that for no real benefit.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #56
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, but what is the real impact of this particular factor on night driving? My key concerns, in priority order, are (1) being able to see the edges and markings on the road, (2) spot cars, pedestrians, and objects on the road or sides of the road, and (3) read signage. The further ahead and more clearly I can see these things, the better. Most signage (in the U.S. at least) has reflective material and/or is bottom lit, so having great headlights really isn't that critical for (3). I'm much concerned about (1) and (2), and I'd be very surprised if the xenons didn't provide some benefit over the stock halogens.

That said, Consumer Reports (which I believe performs objective tests on headlights) rated the xenons quite poorly:

Quote:
Headlights: Standard xenon HIDs provide a very bright and uniform pattern of light but, unfortunately, they do not provide sufficient forward seeing distance to allow a driver time to see, react and brake for objects or pedestrians ahead. This is also what we've seen with other BMW sedans. The adaptive function operates smoothly as it allows the lamps to swivel to provide added light in corners; it is well synced to steering inputs.
Source: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b.../road-test.htm

However, they didn't compare the xenons to the halogens, so it's not clear whether the halogens would be even worse. They also didn't specify whether the distance was poor with the low beams, high beams, or both. If it's just the low beams, it may be an adjustment issue.

Subjectively, I find the low beams pretty good and the high beams absolutely brilliant. I definitely prefer them to my E90 328i, which also has adaptive bi-xenons. The adaptive feature itself is probably only marginally useful, but it's certainly fun.

Even if the xenons don't provide a huge benefit in terms of safety, they sure do make the front end of the car look better and more modern.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #57
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One of the drawbacks in using projection lenses is sharp drop off in illumination outside the projected area.
I believe that is what Consumers Reports was pointed out.
I don't drive much a night time but I do see a much bigger illumination cut off at top on my 228i when projecting light to a wall in comparison with other cars I've driven with xenon lights.
Having this much light cut off is a disadvantage for seeing objects outside projected illuminated area as your eyes have beed adjusted to brighter illuminated area.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #58
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
One of the drawbacks in using projection lenses is sharp drop off in illumination outside the projected area.
I believe that is what Consumers Reports was pointed out.
I don't drive much a night time but I do see a much bigger illumination cut off at top on my 228i when projecting light to a wall in comparison with other cars I've driven with xenon lights.
Having this much light cut off is a disadvantage for seeing objects outside projected illuminated area as your eyes have beed adjusted to brighter illuminated area.
That's a good point. Consumer Reports often remarks on the "sharp cutoff" in the beam pattern for low beams.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #59
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I had the halogens on my first BMW and I immediately replaced the DRL rings with LEDs and lived with the halogen at night. I didn't make the same mistake this time around, the brightness of the rings are 5x better than anything aftermarket and they just complete the look of the modern BMWs. The visibility is increased by 5x as well, I can see everything now and with hi beams on it might as well be the afternoon. It's impossible to see in the rain with halos or xenons, its just shitty driving conditions so to me thats a wash. Also they will not go out nearly as often despite being more expensive to replace, but I wouldn't plan on having that problem for 5 years.
The effect they have on resale value is huge, people want a used car that looks like a new one, so there you go. Safety is always important so there is that and they look amazing if its me I would trade tech for xenons, yea i said it.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #60
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
I guess I'll be the odd man out. I have had Xenon lights on my 4 previous cars and now my current BMW has halogens and I am completely happy with them. Besides, the halogens do not have the moving parts to fail that adaptive xenons do as well as I would much rather replace a 20 dollar halogen bulb than replace a 300 dollar xenon bulb. But unlike most on here, I keep my cars well past the warranty expires. IMHO, if it is a short term purchase get the Xenons. If you plan to keep it for the long haul, go with halogens.
This is exactly why I did not order Xenons on my wagon. $1200 more up front, God help you if any of it breaks out of warranty. I think the Xenons are better, but not $1200 better, and I don't drive much at night.

The resale argument is only valid for people who failed math in the 3rd grade. You spend $1200 to get $600 more when you sell the car.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #61
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post

This is exactly why I did not order Xenons on my wagon. $1200 more up front, God help you if any of it breaks out of warranty. I think the Xenons are better, but not $1200 better, and I don't drive much at night.

The resale argument is only valid for people who failed math in the 3rd grade. You spend $1200 to get $600 more when you sell the car.
I think you need more than 3rd grade math to figure out that in the situation above you are getting 50% return on a depreciating asset and this is assuming that a car that is not equipped with xenons does not appreciate sooner. So considering how much they substantially improve the aesthetics, paying $600 at most over the lifetime of ownership is not so bad. While I agree that they are overpriced at 1200 and will take it a step further and suggest that they are standard equipment. That being said it really does make a difference in safety, looks, and resale.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #62
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

ive got xenons on my car and made sure to get them.

logically there is no reason to get them. i mean i have excellent night vision (They are really bright though), so i'd be fine without them (helps being partially colorblind).

that said they look cool. they should just be standard. if you don't care how they look then save the $1000, because personally i think the main reason to get them is they look cool (and yeah i'd get them every time).

its probably the one cosmetic thing i'd always get. that and well some sort of sports package on a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #63
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

get the lighting package man. is the reason they aren't standard to further underscore the fact that this is now BMW's entry level model?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #64
ozair123
Rep
Drives: bmw 2 series

Stuck with halogens

Hey guys, I was on the fence about the lights since it was a pretty hefty price. and when the car came, I immediately regret not getting the LED. does anyone know if I can get them aftermarket? and any website that might have them? I dont even like the plain non angel eye look of them during the day. So can even the plain angel eyes without anything else would be awesome? If anyone could lemme know
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #65
xtremcarl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair123 View Post
Hey guys, I was on the fence about the lights since it was a pretty hefty price. and when the car came, I immediately regret not getting the LED. does anyone know if I can get them aftermarket? and any website that might have them? I dont even like the plain non angel eye look of them during the day. So can even the plain angel eyes without anything else would be awesome? If anyone could lemme know
Ya, I would also like to know if anyone has upgraded their lighting. I currently have the xenon headlights and like them but the dealership has a car that is just what I am looking for without them and am thinking about getting it if I can get a good price instead of ordering something and waiting. I know you probably can't do adaptive without a ton of work but is a LED or xenon upgrade doable.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #66
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

I have had Xenon on my last several cars and would not go back to halogen. Get Xenon, quit worrying about it.
Appreciate 0