THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stepping in line to custom order a 228i THP (hoping for allocation in December)

11-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
ivierlin27
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mini Cooper S

Stepping in line to custom order a 228i THP (hoping for allocation in December)

Hi all.

I have been lurking here for a while as I've worked through my new car decision process.

Since I don't have an allocation, yet, I'm still able to change things in my build so I'd like to see what people think about the various choices.

This will be a lease, not a purchase, if that makes a difference for people's opinions.

First off, I'm going with no line as my wife doesn't like the sport seats to the extent that she wouldn't want to even ride in the car with them. I was indifferent, so that decision is made. I wish I could still get estoril blue, but oh well... mineral grey will have to suffice.

I don't see the premium package as being worth the $4k extra, though it has some nifty extras in it. I do like the power seats, which I may get as a separate option, but I don't want the moonroof (extra weight and I really don't use it on my current car).

The track handling package is where I am laying my money down as I'm all about handling (I currently have an 05 mini cooper S with upgraded rubber). I appreciated the adaptive suspension on the m235i when I test drove it and the adaptive steering was nice as well.

I'm currently not looking at getting the tech package as the 2015s will do bluetooth streaming by default. I don't travel in my car much (we have a mazda CX-5 for long trips with my family of 4), so I don't really need navigation (my iPhone 6 plus will do in a pinch). The other features of the tech package were not overly compelling, to me (texts, office integration, social app integration, etc) except the remote control features (I'm a gadget geek, so it looked intriguing). I just don't think I can justify the cost just for "nifty" features.

I mostly drive in the city and during the day, so I'm not too inclined to pay for the lighting package. I know people like it for the look of the car and such, but I don't anticipate buying the car at lease end, so I'm not worried about its appeal in that respect. $1k for different lights just seems to be ridiculous.

I live in Austin, TX, so the cold weather package isn't needed (it is mildly cold 3 months out of the year).

I haven't gotten to test drive a manual transmission (none anywhere within 200 miles of Austin), but I'm planning on going manual anyway. The 8 speed is pretty nice, but I prefer to row my own (I like controlling when I'm in neutral).

That's pretty much it.

My entire build at present, in a short form, is this:
2015 228i - $32,100
Mineral Grey Metallic - $550
Black SensaTec - $0
Silver Matte Trim - $0
Track Handling Package - $2,200
Manual Transmission - $0
Power front seats with driver seat memory - $995
Destination & Handling - $950
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSRP - $36,795
Invoice - $33,885 (from edmunds)
current incentive - $500 (holiday)

I hope to negotiate to around $34,500 after incentive, but we'll see what I can do.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivierlin27 View Post
Hi all.

I have been lurking here for a while as I've worked through my new car decision process.

Since I don't have an allocation, yet, I'm still able to change things in my build so I'd like to see what people think about the various choices.

This will be a lease, not a purchase, if that makes a difference for people's opinions.

First off, I'm going with no line as my wife doesn't like the sport seats to the extent that she wouldn't want to even ride in the car with them. I was indifferent, so that decision is made. I wish I could still get estoril blue, but oh well... mineral grey will have to suffice.

I don't see the premium package as being worth the $4k extra, though it has some nifty extras in it. I do like the power seats, which I may get as a separate option, but I don't want the moonroof (extra weight and I really don't use it on my current car).

The track handling package is where I am laying my money down as I'm all about handling (I currently have an 05 mini cooper S with upgraded rubber). I appreciated the adaptive suspension on the m235i when I test drove it and the adaptive steering was nice as well.

I'm currently not looking at getting the tech package as the 2015s will do bluetooth streaming by default. I don't travel in my car much (we have a mazda CX-5 for long trips with my family of 4), so I don't really need navigation (my iPhone 6 plus will do in a pinch). The other features of the tech package were not overly compelling, to me (texts, office integration, social app integration, etc) except the remote control features (I'm a gadget geek, so it looked intriguing). I just don't think I can justify the cost just for "nifty" features.

I mostly drive in the city and during the day, so I'm not too inclined to pay for the lighting package. I know people like it for the look of the car and such, but I don't anticipate buying the car at lease end, so I'm not worried about its appeal in that respect. $1k for different lights just seems to be ridiculous.

I live in Austin, TX, so the cold weather package isn't needed (it is mildly cold 3 months out of the year).

I haven't gotten to test drive a manual transmission (none anywhere within 200 miles of Austin), but I'm planning on going manual anyway. The 8 speed is pretty nice, but I prefer to row my own (I like controlling when I'm in neutral).

That's pretty much it.

My entire build at present, in a short form, is this:
2015 228i - $32,100
Mineral Grey Metallic - $550
Black SensaTec - $0
Silver Matte Trim - $0
Track Handling Package - $2,200
Manual Transmission - $0
Power front seats with driver seat memory - $995
Destination & Handling - $950
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSRP - $36,795
Invoice - $33,885 (from edmunds)
current incentive - $500 (holiday)

I hope to negotiate to around $34,500 after incentive, but we'll see what I can do.
Should have zero problems getting that!! I got 9.1% of MSRP on my 228i. You should be able to do muxh better than $34500!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
ivierlin27
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mini Cooper S

I hope so, too!

Edmunds TMV seems to think there is little room for negotiation, listing it at $35,504 after $500 rebate.

I'm going to try for around invoice after rebate, giving the dealer $500, but I'm prepared to go a bit higher.

We'll see.
Appreciate 0