THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Why does my car need high octane gasoline

11-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #23
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
The car is 50k, and you are worrying about saving pennies. When you are arguing whether its safe to run if you don't use full throttle etc.

Honestly, just keeping it in eco-pro, or changing your driving habbits significantly will save you more at the pump than running lower octane.

Its pointless to use 91+ in econoboxes, but why even risk it with our cars?
I never use eco-pro only sport+. Comfort on occasion if traffic is heavy which is the case at the beach in summer. You make a good point, switching to 93. Which brand 93 is best. Shell, Sunoco, or other.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #24
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

93 octane is the same across the board. However there is a difference in the additive packages used by gas retailers.

Short answer to your question, only frequent stations that sell "TOP TIER" gasoline. I believe BMW (and I know for sure MINI) recommends using only that type of gasoline in their cars. Many other brands do also. That gas keeps injectors clean and keep your car running better. It will in all likelihood save you the expense of injector replacement down the road if you keep your car for a long time.

Here is a list of stations selling Top Tier Gas:

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Make of mental note or put a copy of the list in your car when filling up. More and more sellers are jumping on the Top Tier wagon.

Note: "RaceTrac" gas in not Top Tier
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I never use eco-pro only sport+. Comfort on occasion if traffic is heavy which is the case at the beach in summer. You make a good point, switching to 93. Which brand 93 is best. Shell, Sunoco, or other.
Personally I like shell or chevron. But that's mainly because there is a shell a block from my house, and one like 1 mile from my work.
      11-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I would put in a plug for ECOPRO mode. I recently did a loooong highway trip, and found that eco pro is great for boring open road cruising - basically anywhere I would set the cruise control. You don't notice it, and I saved about 5-7% in fuel (significant over 2600 miles). Kind of amusing to have it continually 'advising' me to reduce speed to save even more fuel, but REAL annoying in heavy traffic (no engine braking), and it freaks me out when it auto-stops, so I had to remember to turn it back to comfort in traffic or at the tollbooths.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #27
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I would put in a plug for ECOPRO mode. I recently did a loooong highway trip, and found that eco pro is great for boring open road cruising - basically anywhere I would set the cruise control. You don't notice it, and I saved about 5-7% in fuel (significant over 2600 miles). Kind of amusing to have it continually 'advising' me to reduce speed to save even more fuel, but REAL annoying in heavy traffic (no engine braking), and it freaks me out when it auto-stops, so I had to remember to turn it back to comfort in traffic or at the tollbooths.
Haha yeah, I HATE eco mode around town, but if you got cruise control on its great, set it to 75 or something and enjoy the 34mpg
      11-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
93 octane is the same across the board. However there is a difference in the additive packages used by gas retailers.

Short answer to your question, only frequent stations that sell "TOP TIER" gasoline. I believe BMW (and I know for sure MINI) recommends using only that type of gasoline in their cars. Many other brands do also. That gas keeps injectors clean and keep your car running better. It will in all likelihood save you the expense of injector replacement down the road if you keep your car for a long time.

Here is a list of stations selling Top Tier Gas:

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Make of mental note or put a copy of the list in your car when filling up. More and more sellers are jumping on the Top Tier wagon.

Note: "RaceTrac" gas in not Top Tier
Thanks, there is a Shell and Exxon nearby. Making the switch. Vroom Vroom.
Appreciate 0