THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Extended warranty info

11-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #45
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It also depends on when you take the warranty. Definitely do it towards the end of original, but beyond that whether or not you are doing a lease buyout, getting a used car, etc. having a financing event can impact the decision as well. You often get a discount on MF from BMWFS if you roll the extension into the financing. Just got a 3-year old 328 w. 19K for GF, by the time I got the discount on the interest rate (which was REALLY low to begin with) getting the CPO with Maintenance out through 6/100K only ended up costing me $1500. No brainer at that point, that's one brake job.
Please help me understand your advice to add the warranty at the end, unless that is just related to uncertainty at purchase time of keeping the car for that full timeframe. I seemed to get a better discount by negotiating for the BMW warranty at the vehicle purchase time than I think I would get as a standalone at the end of year 4. The whole thing was a cash deal, so there was no financing involved.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #46
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Please help me understand your advice to add the warranty at the end, unless that is just related to uncertainty at purchase time of keeping the car for that full timeframe. I seemed to get a better discount by negotiating for the BMW warranty at the vehicle purchase time than I think I would get as a standalone at the end of year 4. The whole thing was a cash deal, so there was no financing involved.
I guess it depends on the level of discount, but regardless of whether or not you plan to keep the car when you first get it, a lot of things can happen. You could total the car day one in which case that money is gone and you get no benefit from it. I guess in that way it's analogous to doing a cap cost reduction on a lease. If things go according to plan it's fine, if not you can get burnt. I also don't know that the discount is so huge that I'd risk throwing away thousands to potentially save hundreds. You can always shop around for the extension once you get close to the end.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #47
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I guess it depends on the level of discount, but regardless of whether or not you plan to keep the car when you first get it, a lot of things can happen. You could total the car day one in which case that money is gone and you get no benefit from it. I guess in that way it's analogous to doing a cap cost reduction on a lease. If things go according to plan it's fine, if not you can get burnt. I also don't know that the discount is so huge that I'd risk throwing away thousands to potentially save hundreds. You can always shop around for the extension once you get close to the end.
Thanks...got it. More a matter of risk management than the straight financials of timing the purchase.
Appreciate 0