THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Clicking and Clunking

11-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
MessageMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M 235i

Clicking and Clunking

I know this issue has been addressed several times on the forums but so far I have only seen that people have encountered the clicking when turning (usually at low speed). I know that the issue with the clicking is related to wheel torque and can be easily fixed but I am concerned with an additional clunking sound I hear when I am breaking and nearing a stop.

As I approach the stop I will hear it once, normally every time I am stopping and not listening to music I will hear it and it bugs me. The owner before me took very good care of the car, I assume he just did not notice this as you do have to have the windows down and music off and listen carefully.

I just want to know more about the issues before taking them into Service so that no time is wasted trying to diagnose the problem. Thank you all in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #2
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Take it to the dealer, I had this happen to me, they replaced my wheel bearings. I have heard of them just tightening up the lugs or some other remedies. In my case though, they replaced both front wheel bearings.
      11-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
MessageMan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Take it to the dealer, I had this happen to me, they replaced my wheel bearings. I have heard of them just tightening up the lugs or some other remedies. In my case though, they replaced both front wheel bearings.
Do you really think the clunking is coming from the wheel bearings? It sounds like it is emanating from under the front portion of the car, whereas the clicking sounds more outward.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessageMan View Post
Do you really think the clunking is coming from the wheel bearings? It sounds like it is emanating from under the front portion of the car, whereas the clicking sounds more outward.
Hmm it is really hard to gauge what your clunking might be then, since it is being conveyed over a message board. The sound is clear as day to you, but typically when you try to explain it to others, everyone might have a slightly different idea.

If you have someone that can help you out, go to an empty parking lot, and try recreating the sound, can have them walk near the car as its coming to a stop. Because of acoustics inside the cabin, it can be misleading. Judging by your description, I would doubt it is actually wheel bearings, it could be something with your brakes maybe? suspension?
      11-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Probably the best way to figure out what to check next is to eliminate the bearings.

Lift your wheel up. Push on the top and bottom of the tire. If there's movement then it's your bearings.

Push at the 3 and 9 clock positions. If there's movement that direction then it's a suspension component.

Make sure you make the steering wheel lock before doing this so that the wheel can't turn. Make sure your lug bolts are torqued to 105 ft lbs as well. If you have recently had tire work done a tech may have short cut the process and used the impact to reinstall your wheels on the car. When torquing make sure you alternate the position when tightening to seat the wheel properly.

Pull the wheel off and check all the brake pad retaining clips. If one has broken or cracked then it would cause the pad to shift ever so slightly when you brake until it stops. That could potentially be the clunking.

This should help you narrow down what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Are you on the stock suspension? Front end clunking can usually be attributed to a loose/worn anti-roll bar link or a strut top hat. The top hats in these cars have had a history of prematurely wearing out and the bearing will start to clunk, especially at slower speeds where more things can be heard. These top hats wear out quicker on car with lowering springs and/or camber changing parts which put additional stress on the bearing.

Lastly, the clunking could also be worn pads shifting inside the caliper under initial braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
MessageMan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Are you on the stock suspension? Front end clunking can usually be attributed to a loose/worn anti-roll bar link or a strut top hat. The top hats in these cars have had a history of prematurely wearing out and the bearing will start to clunk, especially at slower speeds where more things can be heard. These top hats wear out quicker on car with lowering springs and/or camber changing parts which put additional stress on the bearing.

Lastly, the clunking could also be worn pads shifting inside the caliper under initial braking.
Stock suspension, the car is a year and a half old with 12k miles on the odometer by the way. The clunking sound is much like the sound of running over a manhole cover at a low speed or one of those metal plates sometimes found on roads as bandaid repairs.

If it is the suspension, is it an easy fix? I am scheduling service for next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessageMan View Post
Stock suspension, the car is a year and a half old with 12k miles on the odometer by the way. The clunking sound is much like the sound of running over a manhole cover at a low speed or one of those metal plates sometimes found on roads as bandaid repairs.

If it is the suspension, is it an easy fix? I am scheduling service for next week.
Sounds like a top hat issue. If so, this is easily fixed. I could do it myself in about 30 minutes. BMW will say it takes 3 hours. You've got a warranty so nothing will be out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

Just chnaged to yellowstuff pads over the weekend. I think there were a couple clicks on the first few stops.

Probably just then pads settling in though.
Appreciate 0