THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Random 1st gear stutter/stumble with 6MT

10-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #23
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethemanuals View Post
When you say chatters, what exactly do you mean? This thread seems to be talking about power (I don't experience that, launches are pretty smooth for me) but every time I take off in this car the engine makes this awful clicking sound, and also only when it's warm. It sounds like the engine wants to stall. Anyone else had that happen?

(By the way, I'm not just letting the clutch out and allowing the engine to shake...This happens even when I rev to about 1200 and slowly let the clutch out while maintaining revs)
After re-reading the thread, maybe my issue is different from OP's. When im releasing the clutch (when car is warm), it feels the the engagement is skipping for a lack of a better word. This skipping is the 'thud-thud-thud' im talking about. When i first drive the car in the morning, i can release the clutch while giving it very little rpms (~800rpms) and it just goes. Smooth engagement. Only when driving for a while does it start chattering. If you've ever driven a subaru, its a common thing on cold starts. But again, mine does it when its warm.

Wanted to add: Basically its the same sound/sensation as when releasing the clutch with no gas and the engine/car starts shaking. But in my case, im giving it gas and the sound/sensation is somewhat amplified. The slower i release the clutch, the more it thuds as its fully engaging. If i give it a little more gas and release quicker, it'll thud just once as it fully engages, but sacrifice a smooth takeoff.

Last edited by JoyRin; 10-29-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
savethemanuals
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRin View Post
After re-reading the thread, maybe my issue is different from OP's. When im releasing the clutch (when car is warm), it feels the the engagement is skipping for a lack of a better word. This skipping is the 'thud-thud-thud' im talking about. When i first drive the car in the morning, i can release the clutch while giving it very little rpms (~800rpms) and it just goes. Smooth engagement. Only when driving for a while does it start chattering. If you've ever driven a subaru, its a common thing on cold starts. But again, mine does it when its warm.

Wanted to add: Basically its the same sound/sensation as when releasing the clutch with no gas and the engine/car starts shaking. But in my case, im giving it gas and the sound/sensation is somewhat amplified. The slower i release the clutch, the more it thuds as its fully engaging. If i give it a little more gas and release quicker, it'll thud just once as it fully engages, but sacrifice a smooth takeoff.
Yeah, it sounds like all three of us have slightly different issues then.

Maybe clutches just wear differently which causes slight variation in the way they grab?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobil View Post
I share your pain too...I've only ever driven stick, and after 30000 kms...I'm still stuttering this car off the line...

Doesnt help that the Throttle mapping differs between the modes, and I change my shoes often between work dress shoes, runners, boots all contributing to me occasionally looking like a rookie at stoplights...
Yep to all of that. You either leave the line at a snail's pace, carefully engaging 1st or you fly off the line. It's really hard to find that middle ground, but without the clutch stop, I'm far more consistent. Maybe BMW intended the 6MT to drive this way so as to sway us towards 8AT and DCTs automatics (tin foil hat on)

I will say that launching this car hard is very easy. I can really feel that line between a fractional amount of spin and avoiding bogging.
My man!!!! You hit the nail on the head. I just removed my clutch stop (I installed it the day I got my car a very long time ago) and it drives SO MUCH SMOOTHER!! I wish I never installed the clutch stop to begin with...it drives like it should have from day 1!
      05-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #26
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

My car is a manual trans, 16,000 miles. When I start from a stand still in 1st gear, my car is starting to stutter/shake. always giving it 1000-1500 revs when releasing the clutch. So i am not lugging it. Sounds pretty familiar to the OP.

Just curious if anyone has any updates with their car. Any clutch failures or related?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Here's another update. As noted previously, I much prefer the power delivery of DSC Off, but the initial throttle delay/deadness and the fairly common clutch judder issue in 1st is annoying. I also find that the Sport throttle is just a bit too quick. About a week ago I bought a Sprint Booster V3 is hopes of being able to control throttle sensitivity in the Comfort throttle and perhaps improving the clutch judder. So far, the results have been promising for the most part. I will update this thread and create a separate 6MT Sprint Booster thread once a get a little more drive time in. So far, I've driven with it in 40 degree day up through 80 degree temps. I want to see how it drives with some real heat soaking which will be today (mid 80s, muggy). My reviews are always honest, detailed, and I'll give you all the positives and negatives. So far, take-off and the 1-2 shift smoothness are improved.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I get this too and find switching modes will stop it as well as slightly higher rpm at engagement (even 250rpm) will eliminate it for me. This was also brought up on the m4 forums as well and I think the consensus is that it happens due to the highly frictional material on the clutch disc which would also explain why it happens more to me after I've been driving it hard for a while. So far, the two methods have solved it for so I'm ok with it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2017, 10:27 PM   #29
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
I get this too and find switching modes will stop it as well as slightly higher rpm at engagement (even 250rpm) will eliminate it for me. This was also brought up on the m4 forums as well and I think the consensus is that it happens due to the highly frictional material on the clutch disc which would also explain why it happens more to me after I've been driving it hard for a while. So far, the two methods have solved it for so I'm ok with it.
Mine also does it worse after I drive it harder. Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #30
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yep to all of that. You either leave the line at a snail's pace, carefully engaging 1st or you fly off the line. It's really hard to find that middle ground, but without the clutch stop, I'm far more consistent. Maybe BMW intended the 6MT to drive this way so as to sway us towards 8AT and DCTs automatics (tin foil hat on)

I will say that launching this car hard is very easy. I can really feel that line between a fractional amount of spin and avoiding bogging.
After hours of searching the forums, I've finally stumbled upon someone else having the same issue as myself. Sorry to revive this old thread, but was there ever a fix? My car has this issue with no clutch stop installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #31
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex'er View Post
After hours of searching the forums, I've finally stumbled upon someone else having the same issue as myself. Sorry to revive this old thread, but was there ever a fix? My car has this issue with no clutch stop installed.
The fix, don't use COMFORT mode, plenty of throttle and quick use of the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #32
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
The fix, don't use COMFORT mode, plenty of throttle and quick use of the clutch.
ah ha! I almost always use comfort mode. I will try that on my commute home. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #33
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
ah ha! I almost always use comfort mode. I will try that on my commute home. Thanks
I'm interested if you found that SPORT mode and more throttle minimized the rough clutch take-up?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm interested if you found that SPORT mode and more throttle minimized the rough clutch take-up?
I'm the OP and yes, frustratingly, using the Sport throttle does help to greatly minimize the occasional rough clutch take-up. I'm just using the Sport throttle modes now because I became so frustrated with how hard it was to get the car off the line in the Comfort modes. The throttle and clutch in this car really takes some finesse to get the car off the line and execute a 1-2 shift smoothly under light throttle. More so than any other manual I've owned and/or driven in the past 28 years.

I'll be adding a catted downpipe next spring and per the reviews, a DP helps throttle response. Maybe then I'll go back to the Comfort throttle and see how it behaves.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #35
Thalia949
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i conv - 6MT

Quote:
For me, this is the solution. In comfort mode, especially when cold, I get a stutter. Sport and a little more throttle is a lot more predictable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #36
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, using Sport mode and more throttle did indeed minimize the rough clutch take-up! Contrary to other scenarios in this post, in colder weather the problem no longer reappears regardless of which mode you're in.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #37
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, using Sport mode and more throttle did indeed minimize the rough clutch take-up! Contrary to other scenarios in this post, in colder weather the problem no longer reappears regardless of which mode you're in.
Yeah, I heat soak and reduced power right in the lower rpms is a big culprit and in the cooler fall/winter air, heat soak isn't much of an issue.

Driving in Sport+ really does help, I just wish the throttle wasn't as aggressive. Something between the Comfort and Sport throttles would be ideal for the 6MT, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #38
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Something between the Comfort and Sport throttles would be ideal for the 6MT, IMO.
This! 100% Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #39
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 6MT

Quote:

Exactly my issue now. When the car is cold (just started), smooth engagement. After driving for a while, I get juddering from standstill; can't really avoid it, even by riding the clutch.

And recently I hear a sound when idling in neutral and clutch engaged (goes away when I press clutch pedal). I think it's one of the bearings (input shaft). I'm going to try to have it covered under warranty, but I somehow doubt that the dealer will do anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #40
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
this thread. . . I'm glad it popped up!

I can engage 1st in all my other cars perfectly except the f22 when warm. I thought the clutch was contaminated or glazed. this thread make me feel better, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #41
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46, F22, F30

Garage List
1990 BMW 325i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 318ti  [0.00]
2003 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ig1983 View Post
Quote:

Exactly my issue now. When the car is cold (just started), smooth engagement. After driving for a while, I get juddering from standstill; can't really avoid it, even by riding the clutch.

And recently I hear a sound when idling in neutral and clutch engaged (goes away when I press clutch pedal). I think it's one of the bearings (input shaft). I'm going to try to have it covered under warranty, but I somehow doubt that the dealer will do anything.

I kind of have a noise also when just idling and I'm off the clutch. goes away when I push the pedal. I thought it was just the old getrag rattle any e30 owner is familiar with (I have no idea if this is a getrag, haha)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 01:12 AM   #42
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
(I have no idea if this is a getrag, haha)
Nah, it's got the ZF now.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:25 PM   #43
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6MT MGM/CR

Quote:

I'm reviving this thread again it seems. This is exactly what my car has started doing. I took delivery with only 9 miles on it and just passed 10k. Doesn't matter how slowly or carefully I get into first, it shudders a bit right before it catches. It feels like you either didnt give enough gas and let clutch out too far and it shakes, but I KNOW I'm doing it properly. The stutter is there every time, no matter how much throttle I give. Unlike the previous posters, I am in sport 100% of the time. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer so we'll see what they say. I'm a little disappointed that this seems to be so normal. Anyone else having issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #44
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I have over 50k on the car/clutch now and it's done it off and on since new. It usually happens driving in stop and go and the clutch getting hot and chattering. Other times I feel my timing is just off slightly and I'm to blame. Overall it doesn't seem to hurt anything as my car is Stage 2 and I get no slippage from power.
Appreciate 0