THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any hands on reviews of the M240 yet?

08-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Any hands on reviews of the M240 yet?

I am making that decision between M2 and 240 - they both have solid merits, and are different machines of course. But they are in the same family tree. Waiting for the online reviews, either video or text. Or from members here who have driven the 240.

Here is my thought process on my next car- but I need to read and see some reviews (and test drive it of course- for whatever good that does)

As a 12 year BMW owner- 3 E46- ZHPs (Sedan, Convertible and now a 2004 Coupe that I love) , A Z4 M Raw, metallic beast but really serene for everyday amazing and my current 435GC- I like it a lot- not toal love- its too big for total love but I drive a lot to Houston and Dallas and this is a highway magic carpet- but then a lot of cars are these days and this was 60+ k. But this is my 4 door when i need to take customers or family- its a Panamera "lite" LOL- I thas 10mm spacers i Front and 13mm in the back H&R. Thats all I have done to it.
My Current ride

And my current SpaceGray ZHP 2004 only 35k miles!

But I digress - I am going to be selling my 3rd (and last) ZHP- a simply wonderful BMW And part of me wants to create the modern version of the ZHP- NOT the ZHP that is available on the 4 series- that’s more cosmetic and is expensive - but I want a smaller car and the 2er is it.
So its not the money- I’m not loaded but its going to take 60k for either M2 (Automatic) with Xpel film (wouldn’t buy a new car without it- even my 2004 ZHP is wrapped with Xpel on the front bumper and hood and mirrors) But I am torn between modding a M240 or going full on with the M2.
I will NOT track this car However, living where I do in South Texas- I let my inner Aryton Senna out on the beautiful winding roads through the Texas Hill Country from San Antonio to Austin. And I do that as often as a I can- lots of cool things up in those hills.

FOR the M240:
> Newer Engine
> Stones throw to the M2 on HP and Torque
> Can get AWD but I wont- rear drive only for me
> DCT on both- I have shifted for 30 years- too much traffic for an ED to shift any more- Ill take the speed bump and give up the "better feel"
> Newer version of the Sat/Nav system (I really dislike the current version in my M4)
> Slightly quieter- I will be upgrading the sound system in either one no matter what.
> More choices for interior- and exterior for M240 but doesn’t matter to me - I LOVE mineral Gray- perfect at night, perfect in bright Texas sunlight - Doesn’t show any swirls and looks still OK even a little dirty-And the BMW Carbon fiber bits look 100% PERFCET match to Mineral gray- even more than black! So either 240 or M2 will be MG. Period. I would pick the brown leather for the interior but I could take black too.
> Looks more restrained of course than the M2- a bit “frumpy” but I will take care of that.
> ~ 8000 less than the M2 both fully loaded.

AGAINST THE M240
> Its not an M2!
> Whats with the “M” 240? - many threads on this of course but put me in the camp of just calling it the 240 please. Maybe an M here and there on the interior- but calling it an M240 is both confusing and being wayyy to much a of a poser but I can take those side M logos off anyway and will.
> No pretending the M240 is in the same handling league as the M2- but do I really need it when I take my country drives? – The M240 is no M2 but its no slug wither- especially with the coil over mod listed later. I surely wont need it in the traffic jams and other crap on the I35 between San Antonio and Dallas.
But that said, I have not yet reconciled the Oregami Fangs of the M2- maybe seeing it live will change my mind- but while functional look like they are trying a bit too hard. I think I can make the M240 look jus as racy without being full on M

So here are the mods I would do to the M240 that would bring me up to the 8k price difference between the two:
1> Bilstein or other Coilovers and lowering the car ~15-20mm $ 2500 - $ 3000 installed
2> BBS or HRE gunmetal 19x 9 wheels with spacers and tires $ 3000 Installed
I don’t care what BMW car you own- BMW looks are heavily influenced by the wheels and they all look good lowered. The M240 would look great lowered with the right 19’s.
(Sell the stock wheels and tires and get back $ 1500? But not factoring that in)
3> Carbon Fiber Front air dam (still looking for the right one) $ 1500
So that is ~ $ 7500 added to the 240

4> UPGRADES TO BOTH CARS THAT CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT.
BMW Carbon fiber mirror caps Look EXCELLENT with Mineral Gray.
I will also get the Alcantara wheel on either car- my hands stick on the on the BMW leather wheels.
Threads have been started on that as well. But again that is an add on to both cars so they cancel each other out.
No I don’t get the sound of the M2- no its not on “rails” but its very close. Speed of the two cars are a toss up, M240 slightly quieter slightly more restrained and a bit better as a daily driver IMO.
No its not an M2, but the E46 ZHP while pretty much perfect but not an M3.
And I would go straight to the M2 if it was the M235- my wife has one its nice but not special- 0-60 in 4.2 starts getting “special”- and the M235 is nice but the M240 tweaks it up a bit.
Or just say F it and get the M2- but those dam fangs just grind my gears.

Last edited by ZilberGrau ZHP; 08-19-2016 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

M2 is better in every way. So check your wallet and make the choice.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilberGrau ZHP View Post
I am making that decision between M2 and 240 - they both have solid merits, and are different machines of course. But they are in the same family tree. Waiting for the online reviews, either video or text. Or from members here who have driven the 240.
Not really all that necessary to wait as we've already heard reviews of the 340i and the m240i will feature the same engine tuned for an extra 20 hp and 30 torque. It does appear to have better tuning upside than the N55, but if you are leaving the car stock it will be about in line with the M2 to 100, probably a little slower as it's heavier and down on HP, but won't handle near as good, stop near as good, and steering feel won't be as precise.

The real world cost spread of the DCT vs. auto M2/M240i is about $8k. The only way to choose the proper car is to drive both and understand what is most beneficial to you along with the cost spread. The M240 will handle just like the M235i as they didn't update the suspension, so it has a little extra torque and slightly tweaked tranny, but the handling and overall feel won't be much difference than current m235i as we've witnessed in the 340i reviews.

If you want a softer ride with the adaptive suspension, more color choices, aren't going to push the limits of the car, want AWD and $8k is a big deal to you the M240i is your car. If you want to feel like you are on rails and fully connected to your vehicle and the price spread isn't important then the M2 is a much better overall performance car...better brakes/cooling/suspension/beefed up engine internals/DCT vs. regular auto/and lighter weight.

It's not going to be a comparable car around a track or in how it feels to drive as the M2 is just better in every respect. It is a price decision and also if that extra $ will get you a return in how you feel when you drive it. To me the answer is no, my tuned m235i is quicker than the m2, I won't track the car, I like the adaptive suspension options and I value $8k. But to many the reverse is true and I get that.
      08-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire
In OP's case being in TX I agree. Someone in the northeast, I may try to argue for the merits of an M240 xDrive if it's their only car. Note I said try, I'd still land in the camp of "fuck it" and deal with the M2 with snows on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
mwickens
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
…check your wallet and make the choice.
And check your ability and desire to wait many, many months.
      08-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
OP has 2 cars already, and waiting is not the car's fault. M2 is still better.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
One of the main reasons the M2 is out for me... My '97 is falling apart and it's time for a new bish in the driveway.

Although tbh there are a couple for sale around the US if you want one that badly, you're just going to pay MSRP at best.

Edit: Also no xDrive, color choices, and last but not least, the look. The M2 is a better "looking" car and more aggressive, but not everyone wants that. Personally I think it looks a little "boy racer" while the M240i is more humble.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Wozich
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 GO1 X3 30d LCI

I heard that the M2 doesn't feel as fast as the M235i ABOVE 200kph. Now that the more powerful M240i has come out that gap must be even bigger then. Considering that the M240i makes the same torque as the M2 in overboost function it should be close. Plus it has the newer B58 engine.

Here's a video comparison of the M2 and M235i uploaded just a while ago today:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozich View Post
I heard that the M2 doesn't feel as fast as the M235i ABOVE 200kph. Now that the more powerful M240i has come out that gap must be even bigger then. Considering that the M240i makes the same torque as the M2 in overboost function it should be close. Plus it has the newer B58 engine.

Here's a video comparison of the M2 and M235i uploaded just a while ago today:
At the 0:22 mark, it seems as though the M235i has caught up with speed at about the 180km/h mark (in terms of speed and not distance traveled) and as I continue watching this, it appears that the M235i actually goes much faster than the M2 towards the 240km/h mark ....not sure the distance traveled if the M235i has caught up to the M2, I doubt it...
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
jmull3r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Lexus IS300 F-Sport

^^watching those seems like getting a loaded M240i xDrive convertible for the same price ($59k) is the better choice because of the option of getting both the all wheel drive, and a drop top. I think the M2 is obviously mainly for tracking the car, being able to say you own a BMW "M", and for more aggressive cosmetic looks. But if there was an M2 convertible, I like the more aggressive lines of the M2 so personally I would go with that.
      08-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
I disagree It depends what you want
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's also in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

OP I think it's pretty simple. M240i you get AWD option, new B58 engine which can be clearly tuned to keep up with or surpass the M2 in a straight line, and some other randoms such as more color options. You get a car that's more oriented towards a cross between performance and comfort.

M2, you get a car that's oriented more towards performance and less towards comfort. It's louder, it's wider and more aggressive. It has the old N55 engine. It has less options for colors, and you can't get AWD. It will be not a whole lot faster in a straight line (maybe even slower), but will fairly handily beat an M240i around a track with lots of corners, since it's just built for that. With the M240i you may be able to tune it to beat a stock M2, by adding LSD and a Dinan tune or something, but in stock form the M2 is a better track car and aggressive driver.

Edit: case in point: in the video, look how much louder the M2 is (and seems to ride a little rougher, but that could just be me). Hard to decide between the two IMO, but the long wait for the M2 might very well be a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Depends on if you're leasing or keeping. I guarantee that the M2 will keep it's value.
      08-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #15
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Depends on if you're leasing or keeping. I guarantee that the M2 will keep it's value.
There is absolutely no guarantee of that. If they ramp up production and start spitting more out than you can expect the same kind of depreciation that M3s see.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
No more than an m3
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Drive a 235 on the lot now to get a feel for the car and expect a bit of additional power from the 240. Otherwise the same car, really.
      08-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #18
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Did they get rid of the dumbass piped-in fake exhaust sound for the 240 or is it still there?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Did they get rid of the dumbass piped-in fake exhaust sound for the 240 or is it still there?
Active sound? I am pretty sure it's still there and also there on the M2. I think the other M models have it as well.

Doesn't really bother me... If it's gonna make my engine sound better (and louder so I know when to shift) then so be it. They could have put less sound suppressing equipment around the engine so it's a louder car to begin with, but I like the active sound solution as well...

Although I can see how hardcore fans of cars and driving would hate it and view it as sacrilege. You can disable it I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #20
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
Active sound? I am pretty sure it's still there and also there on the M2. I think the other M models have it as well.

Doesn't really bother me... If it's gonna make my engine sound better (and louder so I know when to shift) then so be it. They could have put less sound suppressing equipment around the engine so it's a louder car to begin with, but I like the active sound solution as well...

Although I can see how hardcore fans of cars and driving would hate it and view it as sacrilege. You can disable it I think.
I heard it for the first time last night. It didn't bother me. I'm not sure if it can be disabled
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #21
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
I heard it for the first time last night. It didn't bother me. I'm not sure if it can be disabled
There's a video on the M2 forum of someone who disabled it, I think by coding it out. Or disconnecting something. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #22
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
There's a video on the M2 forum of someone who disabled it, I think by coding it out. Or disconnecting something. I don't know.
Meh. More trouble than it's worth
Appreciate 0