THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum lease vs finance. the ultimate struggle.

08-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Regardless of $$, Chances are you will be disappointed owning versus leasing especially coming from a reliable Japanese car.
These are not cheap cars to maintain & stuff breaks early in life, usually right after warranty expires.
This was the case with me on my 135i- zero confidence going from A to B or any trips.
Because of this, I will never buy a bimmer again. Lease? Maybe but still a hassle to go to dealer if something goes out under warranty. Even under warranty, the stealerships wouldn't cover my dead battery which left me stranded while on a date... Cost me $400.
One & done for me... Back to a slow reliable Honda for me...
Too bad you had to go through that. Sucks. That's the main reason why I never buy first year models w/ newer engines. The only reason I went with this particular car was because of the solid feedback from the enthusiasts here who claimed the N55 has been stellar in all of the models it's been offered in. I was sold enough to take that initial "risk" even though I have warranty until 2021.

You shouldn't generalize your experience with all models and engines, though. Doing such, you're only convincing yourself of your own convictions.

Cars are becoming more reliable, especially BMW, VW, Audi etc. But I guess we could all play it "safe" and drive a Honda/Toyota, and be chastised of our driving experience? I'll take my chances, and pay my maintenance bills when out of warranty with a smile on my face. It's a cost of owning a higher end, sport oriented car. If one can't get over it, they probably don't appreciate the car for what it is anyways.

It absolutely sucks when you don't expect problems with a newer car and get caught with your pants down. But with your philosophy, we should never buy anything new. Everything made by man, can and at some point WILL fail. Sometimes you get a lemon, and sometimes it leaves a sour taste in your mouth on the brand. I've seen this in almost every brand of car and many have since gone back to their beloved brand because of the newer innovative tech etc that's being released each year.

Unless you're just trolling, I'd say you caught some bad luck. My cousin has a first year 135i and it's still going strong at 180k kms, no issues. He can't be THAT lucky?
      08-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Honda? Toyota? Those are not cars. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Too bad you had to go through that. Sucks. That's the main reason why I never buy first year models w/ newer engines. The only reason I went with this particular car was because of the solid feedback from the enthusiasts here who claimed the N55 has been stellar in all of the models it's been offered in. I was sold enough to take that initial "risk" even though I have warranty until 2021.

You shouldn't generalize your experience with all models and engines, though. Doing such, you're only convincing yourself of your own convictions.

Cars are becoming more reliable, especially BMW, VW, Audi etc. But I guess we could all play it "safe" and drive a Honda/Toyota, and be chastised of our driving experience? I'll take my chances, and pay my maintenance bills when out of warranty with a smile on my face. It's a cost of owning a higher end, sport oriented car. If one can't get over it, they probably don't appreciate the car for what it is anyways.

It absolutely sucks when you don't expect problems with a newer car and get caught with your pants down. But with your philosophy, we should never buy anything new. Everything made by man, can and at some point WILL fail. Sometimes you get a lemon, and sometimes it leaves a sour taste in your mouth on the brand. I've seen this in almost every brand of car and many have since gone back to their beloved brand because of the newer innovative tech etc that's being released each year.

Unless you're just trolling, I'd say you caught some bad luck. My cousin has a first year 135i and it's still going strong at 180k kms, no issues. He can't be THAT lucky?
They are appliances.

I think one thing that BMW should do is to qualify the owner. For example, they should say:

Do you think that your car should be a reliable transportation appliance?

If yes, do not buy a BMW.

I enjoy working on my car, and by far the only compliant I have is that BMW cheaped out by removing the dipstick from the engine so I have to drain the oil from the drain plug. The oil filter is a walk in the park. Too easy.

I won't mention the time my 7 series transmission was replaced 3 times and BMW purchased the car back from me. This event alone as made me a customer for life.

All in all, BMW is a car for car nuts. If your not into cars, then please don't buy, please!
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #25
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
They are appliances.

I think one thing that BMW should do is to qualify the owner. For example, they should say:

Do you think that your car should be a reliable transportation appliance?

If yes, do not buy a BMW.

I enjoy working on my car, and by far the only compliant I have is that BMW cheaped out by removing the dipstick from the engine so I have to drain the oil from the drain plug. The oil filter is a walk in the park. Too easy.

I won't mention the time my 7 series transmission was replaced 3 times and BMW purchased the car back from me. This event alone as made me a customer for life.

All in all, BMW is a car for car nuts. If your not into cars, then please don't buy, please!
Boy do I disagree. Any modern car you buy should be reliable. That's not to say things may not break occasionally. But if you spend $25,000 and up,you should expect it to start every time you turn turn or push the starter. Even BMW. If you abuse your car,that's a different story. Apparently a lot of BMW owners abuse their cars. Not every BMW owner is a car nut. BMW is a luxury car that's fun to drive,most of the time. I was on Wisconsin US 43. North of Milwaukee. The road was so bumpy,I was extremely uncomfortable. Perhaps it's the RF tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #26
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Yeah I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Boy do I disagree. Any modern car you buy should be reliable. That's not to say things may not break occasionally. But if you spend $25,000 and up,you should expect it to start every time you turn turn or push the starter. Even BMW. If you abuse your car,that's a different story. Apparently a lot of BMW owners abuse their cars. Not every BMW owner is a car nut. BMW is a luxury car that's fun to drive,most of the time. I was on Wisconsin US 43. North of Milwaukee. The road was so bumpy,I was extremely uncomfortable. Perhaps it's the RF tires.
That's why I think BMW is discontinuing the free maintenance program. They know internally that the car is becoming more reliable.

My critique is for non-enthusiast car buying crowd that usually buys the badge and finds out buyers remorse. Folks in this crowd aren't really interested in cars at all except for prestige value and would be better off in a honda or a toyota.

If your a driver and like to do your own basic maintenance, the layout of the BMW is a walk in the park. Try doing basic maintenance on other platforms, and you'll know the meaning of frustration. I talking about you Audi

Overall, I still think a BMW is worth buying over leasing anyday of the week. Reliability be damned.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0