THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Allocations as a Sales tool?

04-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
scratchypants
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 M240i XDrive

Allocations as a Sales tool?

So I decided I wanted an M240i, 6MT. After spending many hours on the (extremely buggy) bmw.ca configurator, I head to one of the dealers near me. This was mid-March. The SA tells me that there are no allocations left in Canada for April's run and that it would have to wait until May, with a probable July delivery. This sucks because in the meantime I'm racking up about 650 KM's per week on my would-be trade-in. Oh well.

They call me 2 days later and say that there might be a slot available, but I would have to come down right away to secure it. Riiight. "Thanks - but I can't right now...". I call another dealer to verify the availability of this miracle slot and they tell me there is one available. I head down there and negotiate a deal and slap down a deposit. I'm skeptical because come on - one left? With how many vehicles being sold per day across the country? What are the odds?

This second dealer calls me 3 days later with the bad news that the slot had already been taken by the dealer to which it had originally been allocated. The original dealer had filled out the paperwork but delayed in entering it into the system. Suuure.

So I got my deposit back and am now in a holding pattern, thinking maybe about trying to buy something used that I know is real and actually exists. Dealer 2 calls me last night and says that they were very sorry for getting my hopes up and they called BMW directly to get me a slot as soon as possible and promised me a June delivery.

Is there no shame?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Based on what I've seen, allocations are given to the dealer.. It's not where there's allocations for a region and dealers can use them as needed.

What a dealer can do ... They can trade. For example. I ordered in March, and my dealer didn't have any allocation for March and they weren't sure if they would get additional allocation when April came around. They ended up trading an X5 allocation to get the 230xi vert allocation for my order.

Good luck with your order!
      04-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

My dealer called me the last week in March, because of the AARP discount, which I was unaware of. I had been thinking about a 2-series, as my 128 goes out of warranty soon.

Yes, I'll pay 16 bucks for a $2,500 discount, on top of the dealer discount. So, I ordered on March 30.

They knew I would want to order a car, to get a stick. The dealer was able to trade an allocation. By 4/4, I had a production number and a VIN.

I do give credit to the dealer for keeping me in mind, and working to get an allocation. It pays to be on the ball.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

AARP got you a 2500 discount? I'm suddenly rethinking my aversion to finally being labeled; that's more than twice what BMWCCA would be, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

Yeah, I didn't want to be labeled, either. But, 2,500 dollars is 2,500 dollars. The dealer discounted an extra 1,700, and my BMWCCA membership gets me another 500.

The $1,500 number for AARP had been bounced around on this forum. My salesperson told me that it is actually $2,500 if one is buying, which I am.

I was on the fence about doing something this spring. But, the AARP discount pushed it over the edge. Again, credit to the dealer for notifying me about it with enough time to be able to order my preferred build (stick, and LSD).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
Yeah, I didn't want to be labeled, either. But, 2,500 dollars is 2,500 dollars. The dealer discounted an extra 1,700, and my BMWCCA membership gets me another 500.

The $1,500 number for AARP had been bounced around on this forum. My salesperson told me that it is actually $2,500 if one is buying, which I am.

I was on the fence about doing something this spring. But, the AARP discount pushed it over the edge. Again, credit to the dealer for notifying me about it with enough time to be able to order my preferred build (stick, and LSD).
I have heard you can't stack the BMWCCA discount with Fleet, which is what AARP discount is.
      04-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
smitty16s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 and X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I have heard you can't stack the BMWCCA discount with Fleet, which is what AARP discount is.
I just want to verify. The AARP discount is if You're a member? You don't have to be a specific age? So I could combine USAA, AARP, and BMWCCA discounts?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty16s View Post
I just want to verify. The AARP discount is if You're a member? You don't have to be a specific age? So I could combine USAA, AARP, and BMWCCA discounts?
My understanding on this is as follow. Anyone can join AARP and get the discount, but it's a limited time test offer... I think it's scheduled to be pulled in May.

As for combining the discounts, it can NOT be done. Not sure of the USAA, but I've heard time and again that BMWCCA and Fleet (AARP) can NOT be stacked.
      04-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #9
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep

The BMW CCA discount is done post-delivery. One has to show proof of membership, and proof of a new BMW purchase. The dealer has nothing in this process.

I did that in '09, and in '13, and I expect to do it that way again. For a 2-series, it's just $500, but hey, that would pay for Bavsound speakers.
Appreciate 0