THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2014 NYIAS: BMW 228i with Track Handling Package

04-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #23
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Actually, the Adaptive dampers on the M235 are different than the Currently available Adaptive dampers on the 228. There was an interview with one of the M bosses and he said that the M235 had electronic sensors or valves ( I can find it at the moment) but it was unique to the M235. He even went as far as saying that if you spec'd the Dynamic handling package on an MSport 228 you were NOT getting the same suspension and the M235. So it looks like it will no longer be unique...
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #24
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms644 View Post
This really doesn't provide much that isn't available as of now. The car pictured here that is being passed off as a 228i with Track Handling Package is actually just a sport line 228i with Dynamic Handling Package, PSS tires, and M Sport Brakes. The only options this track package adds that aren't currently available are the PSS tires and the ability to have the M Sport Brakes without having to spec the M Sport Package. I'm not sure why they're claiming "unique 18-inch light alloy wheels", they're the exact same wheels that are available now on the sport line model (hence what you see pictured). If you're skeptical then go build a 228i on BMW's website, spec it with sportline, and compare the wheels to what you see pictured here.

So let's work out projected costs for this track handling package: it includes adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport Brakes, and PSS tires. Currently both the adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering are available through the Dynamic Handling Package ($1000), the M Sport Brakes are $650, and then that leaves the PSS tires. I like to state facts and not make speculations based on nothing but intuition so I won't speculate as to what I believe this Track Handling Package will cost. But I'm sure it will be quite a bit more than the $1650 total cost (for the Dynamic Handling Package and M Sport Brakes) + what the average enthusiast values the PSS tires at. Putting it together in a package just helps to mask the individual costs/values of each item individually. BMW marketing at its finest.

As per the confusion for the "mechanical steering rack", this isn't some entirely new rack and it is not a hydraulic rack. It's the same electric power steering setup that is currently available on the 228i through the dynamic handling package and the one that's standard on the M235i. In the most non-technical explanation possible, the mechanical steering rack just refers to the gears that mesh together and allow you to turn the front wheels by turning the steering wheel. Every steering setup on every car has a mechanical steering rack. The power assist is what varies car to car, and the only type of power-assist that is available on any 2-series is electric power assist. The only reason there is mention of the mechanical steering rack is so that they can add in the bit about the variable ratio of the gears themselves which help to make this "variable sport ratio" BMW speaks of. The ironic part is that most track enthusiasts actually prefer a direct ratio since it is more predictable and doesn't vary with the number of degrees off center the wheel has been turned. Hope this helps clarify any confusion or ambiguity, which is something I strongly believe BMW utilizes to it's own advantage when determining pricing for these packages.

^This

I'm laughing my ass off at the people who were so easily fooled by BMW PR department.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #25
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
This what caught my eyes:
Quote:
M Sport Brakes system.
The M Sport Brakes system features fixed, four-piston calipers at the front axle and two-piston calipers at rear, with particularly large brake discs (front disc diameter 13.4 inch, rear 13.6 in. ).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #26
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
wait until you see the price tag...you will be able to get M235i for same $$
Most will be pleasantly surprised by the price once it's announced publicly.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #27
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Actually, the Adaptive dampers on the M235 are different than the Currently available Adaptive dampers on the 228. There was an interview with one of the M bosses and he said that the M235 had electronic sensors or valves ( I can find it at the moment) but it was unique to the M235. He even went as far as saying that if you spec'd the Dynamic handling package on an MSport 228 you were NOT getting the same suspension and the M235. So it looks like it will no longer be unique...
Just had a call with a BMW Genius who had researched that the Variable Sport steering remains electronically actuated in either the Dynamic Handling Package or Track Package, so that difference is confirmed as non-existent. I asked her to research whether there is more than one version of MAdaptive suspension for 228i vs M235i, and how they are offered among these packages, and she will call back again.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
2buyer
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i Sport

I was on the verge of ordering a 228i M-Sport with DHP & M-Sport brakes anyway. I love that I can have the Michelins from the factory (as I would have eventually replaced the run-flats with them anyway). If you're going stealth (or budget), you may want track pack w/o M-Sport (as shown above in NY), but I would want the steering wheel, bodywork, wheels and mirrors of the MSport (over the Sport Pack). If Track Pack is less than the $1,650 I would have been paying over M-Sport anyway, I'll be happy enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #29
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

i would love for BMW to have a track pack for the M235i.

$3,500

comes with recaro seats and LSD

04-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #30
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
i would love for BMW to have a track pack for the M235i.

$3,500

comes with recaro seats and LSD

And don't forget a set of lightweight wheels, not the 25 pounders they keep using.
      04-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #31
math4scher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 MINI Cooper S 4 Door

Mark. When do you think one can order and/or get a production slot for a 2015 228i with the Track Handling Package? Do you know of any other changes and/or offerings for the 2015 228i or the 2015 M235i? THANKS
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #32
BuckSM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

My 228i gets here in two weeks and I feel like I'm missing something every time I read about the track handling package. My 228i optioned with MSport Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Technology Pkg, and Dynamic Handling Pkg.

The DHP is listed with Adaptive M Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, and M-Sport Brakes. It also says with asterisk that it "Requires M Sport Line". Now, the ONLY difference I see between DHP and THP is the Michelin Pilots. I also see people stating that M-Sport Pkg is incompatible with DHP. Am I missing something between the DHP and THP?

Mind you, I ordered my 228i through a U.S. Military Sales dealership so prices are different.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
CF22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Doing some math from the 2015 order guide a nicely "track" equipped 228i can be had for less than $40k. No LSD though but still very good.

MSRP: $32,100
Dest.: $925
M-Sport: $3000
Track Pack: $1600
Light Pack: $900
Color: $550

Total: $39,075

The wheels with the Pilot SS included with the M-Sport and Track Pack are listed as Ferric Grey 461M, same as the current M-Sport wheels just different color, are these actually lightweight?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #34
ryancolucci
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinax View Post
My 228i gets here in two weeks and I feel like I'm missing something every time I read about the track handling package. My 228i optioned with MSport Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Technology Pkg, and Dynamic Handling Pkg.

The DHP is listed with Adaptive M Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, and M-Sport Brakes. It also says with asterisk that it "Requires M Sport Line". Now, the ONLY difference I see between DHP and THP is the Michelin Pilots. I also see people stating that M-Sport Pkg is incompatible with DHP. Am I missing something between the DHP and THP?

Mind you, I ordered my 228i through a U.S. Military Sales dealership so prices are different.
Dynamic Handling package does not include m sport brakes that is a seperate option. Not sure what you mean by msport not compatible with DHP since you ordered your car with both. I have both packages as well do def compatible.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #35
BuckSM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancolucci View Post
Dynamic Handling package does not include m sport brakes that is a seperate option. Not sure what you mean by msport not compatible with DHP since you ordered your car with both. I have both packages as well do def compatible.
Yeah, I realize it is "compatible" since I got both, I was just mentioning that a different user reported that it was incompatible.

Maybe the way they work the packages over here is different. My DHP includes M-Sport brakes. It is a US standard 228i but ordered through a Military sales dealership in Germany.
Appreciate 0