THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Dr. Ian Robertson: "We have no plan for a stand alone M car"

12-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Dr. Ian Robertson: "We have no plan for a stand alone M car"

Quote:
BMW and McLaren have collaborated in the past on a supercar, and for some reason that historic connection seems to make everyone think that the two automakers are going to do it again. It's either that or the fact that many fans tend to bunch BMW and Mercedes into the same lump of clay, and given that the Tri-Star is building both supercars and hypercars out of sheer need for dominance, the crowds expect BMW to follow Not so, said BMW Director of Sales and Marketing, Dr Ian Robertson in an interview with Motoring. While other automakers are using their talents to roll out dream machines that can lap the Nurburgring 0.00001 seconds faster than the competitor, BMW is chasing the dollars. Low volume supercars don't tend to attract those too well. What does make money are the high-volume halfway sports cars, much like what BMW's M Sport line produces. According to Robertson, M is way too busy working on those cars and tending to the current M flock to focus on a standalone supercar. "We have no plan at the moment for a stand alone M car, like Audi or AMG," said Robertson.

"M is simply too busy. If you look at M and the work it has done, a lot of the development has been with M Performance, and it?s the same with i and the plug-in hybrids over pure electric vehicles,? he followed, referencing how BMW's i brand has also been quiet due to being busy electrifying the rest of the lineup. For those wondering why BMW's M can't just do both given that AMG is busy with the R50 hypercar, the AMG GT, and the bevy of AMG 43 and 63 models it has coming out, Robertson has another answer: he doesn't want to jeopardize the i8 and all that it stands for.

The hybrid sports car is a symbol that BMW is focusing its efforts on the future, and to build a conventional supercar would be a step backwards. "I was clear with my mind that if we were bringing in an i8, we should not have another one based on it or competing with it from M," claimed Robertson. "The i8 is a completely new interpretation of sports cars. We should never confuse that." Like it or not, it appears that we're stuck with BMW's current crop of souped-up sedans, coupes, and SUVs. It's not a bad thing considering how good cars like the M2 and X6 M are, but it sure isn't as exciting as what's going on at Mercedes' AMG fiesta.
http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=36812
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

So we can wait for the next m-performance 2 series grand tourer as that marketing niche still isnt forfilled than to expect something truely awesome...
Thats basically what it says.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

M8 was supposedly a go, and I thought they were working on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I don't blame them one bit. I wouldn't either. I'd rather see BMW produce a good looking four door electric sedan that drives like a BMW. Basically, revisit the i3 but this time don't make it look like a lunar rover.

I see a lot of people on this forum wanting BMW to build a super car, but honestly raise your hand if you're actually in a position to buy it.
Appreciate 2
MasterP719.50
pz6193275.50
      12-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I don't blame them one bit. I wouldn't either. I'd rather see BMW produce a good looking four door electric sedan that drives like a BMW. Basically, revisit the i3 but this time don't make it look like a lunar rover..
You mean the 2017 330e iPerformance? It exists already.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You mean the 2017 330e iPerformance? It exists already.
No, I mean a pure electric car with no ICE.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't blame them one bit. I wouldn't either. I'd rather see BMW produce a good looking four door electric sedan that drives like a BMW. Basically, revisit the i3 but this time don't make it look like a lunar rover.

I see a lot of people on this forum wanting BMW to build a super car, but honestly raise your hand if you're actually in a position to buy it.
So basically what you're saying is BMW buyers aren't as wealthy as a Mercedes buyer or an Audi buyer. The reason a super car is important is because of the technology that is brings to the rat of the lineup. Not to mention the prestige. The superset segment is becoming a niche market itself these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

The Audi is essentially a Huracan so those platforms are shared. No need to craft a bespoke product like BMW would.

MB doesn't make a supercar either. The AMG-GT is a "sports car" in the 911S segment.

I don't see BMW as supercar player either.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #9
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

Raises hand. I could buy a BMW supercar if they ever were to offer one, and 3 cylinder econoboxes don't count. I was so f'ing disappointment with the i8 both as a sports car and a DD that I went to AMG after years of being loyal to BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
MB doesn't make a supercar either. The AMG-GT is a "sports car" in the 911S segment.
Yeah, a 'sports' car that whoops the best 'supercars' that Ferrari has to offer. And your justification doesn't work for recent 'supercars' such as the SLR and SLS BS. Besides, forget supercars they're even coming up with a hypercar now while BMW sticks to poverty spec minivans. AMG is in a different league now. Proper AMG 'big boys toys' start at over $130k all the way up to over half a million such as the 6X6 (and probably over a million dollars with the new hypercar) where M has no presence whatsoever. M just overlaps with the cheaper end of AMG's line up but the days of them being direct competitors are long gone IMHO with M cucking to "volume" and "BMW i".
Appreciate 5
Nkc1600.50
6ixSpd5996.50
Law6377.00
MKSixer34171.50
      12-11-2016, 04:14 AM   #10
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

What he said. Word for word.
      12-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

Its a City Car.
      12-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

We don't need a super sports car, not in the current form anyway.
      12-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #13
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Nobody really needs a BMW either, it's a want kind of thing.
Appreciate 5
c63er876.00
David701567.00
Law6377.00
MKSixer34171.50
      12-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The people who are buying AMG GT'S and 911 Turbo's disagree.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have already said this numerous times... they have the perfect base and CFRP architecture to build a supercar in the i8...

Pair the I8s electric motor w a DCT and the M3's S55 motor, redo the entire suspension, axles and driveline for a true sports car... nope won't happen, BMW will instead build a 15th version of an M3, another minivan or add another M Suv. If things in their cars don't change soon.... this may be my last bmw.
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Would rather see them put effort into a new //M Z instead of "M Performance" seat belts etc
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #17
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have already said this numerous times... they have the perfect base and CFRP architecture to build a supercar in the i8...

Pair the I8s electric motor w a DCT and the M3's S55 motor, redo the entire suspension, axles and driveline for a true sports car... nope won't happen, BMW will instead build a 15th version of an M3, another minivan or add another M Suv. If things in their cars don't change soon.... this may be my last bmw.
The brand is too busy chasing money to notice that there is still a market for those bespoke cars.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #18
DeeteeM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6m

Dr Ian Robertson sucks.
More cars like X6M > Less cars like a Prius

Halo low production cars help build customer loyalty and make their brands aspirational purchases.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #19
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its a City Car.
If you mounted a telescoping camera and solar panel to the roof it would be perfect for traversing the surface of Mars.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #20
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

That 15th version of m3 is called Chilean Edition or Munichese Edition
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #21
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

They have taken a page out out Porsches book with M3 edition this and M3 edition that.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0