THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What will void warranty?

08-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
samo1211
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

What will void warranty?

I will be buying my m235i in December through ED, and cant decide whether or not to extend the warranty till 100k miles? is it worth it? what does it all cover? my main concern is what kind of upgrades can i put in without voiding it, ie: intake, exhaust, etc.. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

The bigger the mod the higher the risk of voiding warranty. Basically in terms of mechanical they have to proof that the mod is a direct fault.

Cosmetic mods... No risk

Things like intakes are low risk... As its easily removable.

Cat back/axle back exhausts are relatively low risk.. It's simple piping.

Downpipe/hpfp/intercoolers relatively high risk.

Jb4/tuning in general.. Now this depends who you talk to... Some will say low risk some will say high risk. I think it's high risk. Some say its untraceable and some say it is
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

There have been past reports of N20 engine blown from tuning. So far all of the owners have their engine covered by warranty without any struggle.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #4
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo1211 View Post
I will be buying my m235i in December through ED, and cant decide whether or not to extend the warranty till 100k miles? is it worth it? what does it all cover? my main concern is what kind of upgrades can i put in without voiding it, ie: intake, exhaust, etc.. thanks!
Doesn't the computer record just about everything? Coding, speeds, temps, RPM's, MPG, etc.? Could it be condemming diary?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
samo1211
United_States
Rep

So, I mean if I put a cold air intake on it, and then something went wrong but it wasn't because of the intake, and I took it to get it checked and they seen I had the intake installed, would they say anything? Or as long as the intake wasnt causing the problem, they wouldn't care?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I suppose an engine swap would probably do it. Or maybe sleeping with the service manager's wife.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
dfwmods
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Quote:
If you plan on tuning I would stay away from an extended warrantee. Get your own independent mechanic.
      08-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
With rare exceptions, there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty". Modifications can/will result in no warranty coverage on the modified parts, but if, for example, you put a tune on the car and your stereo stops working, they have to cover it unless they can prove that the tune was the cause.

Where the gray area lies is when a modification COULD have contributed to a failure. You put on a tune and the diff blows up 200 miles later even though you have not even done a single full throttle launch yet. They say it did, you say it didn't. BMW has more and better lawyers than you do, have fun.

For this reason on my 3-series I went with the OEM Performance Intake and Exhaust to liven things up. No question of coverage with those parts, makes the car sound a lot faster. I waited until the warranty expired to do the 3-stage intake manifold and tune. Still waiting actually, got the parts but haven't found the time. And leave to get my M235i on Wednesday!

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #9
samo1211
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
With rare exceptions, there is no such thing as "voiding the warranty". Modifications can/will result in no warranty coverage on the modified parts, but if, for example, you put a tune on the car and your stereo stops working, they have to cover it unless they can prove that the tune was the cause.

Where the gray area lies is when a modification COULD have contributed to a failure. You put on a tune and the diff blows up 200 miles later even though you have not even done a single full throttle launch yet. They say it did, you say it didn't. BMW has more and better lawyers than you do, have fun.

For this reason on my 3-series I went with the OEM Performance Intake and Exhaust to liven things up. No question of coverage with those parts, makes the car sound a lot faster. I waited until the warranty expired to do the 3-stage intake manifold and tune. Still waiting actually, got the parts but haven't found the time. And leave to get my M235i on Wednesday!
Ohh, okay i see what you're saying, thanks, i was thinking about getting the m performance exhaust already put on it? but i haven't heard of it actually adding any power? other than sounding better and then maybe having less back pressure but haven't actually seen numbers on added power
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #10
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Ohh, okay i see what you're saying, thanks, i was thinking about getting the m performance exhaust already put on it? but i haven't heard of it actually adding any power? other than sounding better and then maybe having less back pressure but haven't actually seen numbers on added power
I would expect minimal actual power gains. But don't discount how much faster a louder car can feel, even if by the numbers it isn't any faster. I doubt that the Performance Exhaust and Intake combo adds more than 5hp to my N52, but the car sure feels faster because you can actually hear it. Stock it was whisper quiet and somewhat uninvolving. Not really a problem with an M235i...

R&T had an interesting editorial about the effect of sound and such on the "butt dyno" a few months back.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
samo1211
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I would expect minimal actual power gains. But don't discount how much faster a louder car can feel, even if by the numbers it isn't any faster. I doubt that the Performance Exhaust and Intake combo adds more than 5hp to my N52, but the car sure feels faster because you can actually hear it. Stock it was whisper quiet and somewhat uninvolving. Not really a problem with an M235i...

R&T had an interesting editorial about the effect of sound and such on the "butt dyno" a few months back.
Yeah that makes sense, i guess for now ill just go with an intake, possibly exhaust and lowering springs, than when warranty expires ill try some more stuff out
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #12
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Don't let "warranty" worry you, really. It can however influence that it is best to buy quality products (even if paying more) over cheap knockoffs or the most bargain items. Be smart, it's an expensive car, give it quality stuff, install it well (or pay for it to be well installed) and don't worry about warranty - if you are reasonable, so will the warranty claims be.