THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Steering Wheel

05-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Post Steering Wheel

Anyone else's M-Performance steering wheel (stock on M235 and M240) making a lot of noise? Not the column, but the actual plastic itself. Lots of creaking / cracking anytime I turn the well / pull on it / etc etc.

Update: A lot of the noise seems to come from the middle / bottom part (where the M logo is). But it's also pretty prevalent wherever the plastic parts are on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I had the same issue when they changed my steering wheel for the first time. There should be a screw or nut there behind the logo, you can try to tighten it
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Yes. It's worse in warm weather. Mine has gotten better over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
DrunkPandaBear
Rep

So I noticed the noise gets worse when loosened but then worse again when tightened to the max...guess I'll try and find that happy middle-ground.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I think the problem is that they designed it to come apart easy so the covers can be changed out. Its a compromise to be able to customize the steering wheel.

I find that mine doesn't make noise if I dont touch the plastic. Even if I do, it's not that loud. I hope they do improve it though, being that this is what you touch the most, it should feel more soild.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
My steering column cover(s) rattle quite a bit over rougher roads

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
caraway81
Rep
Drives: M235i

Yeah, mine seems a bit loose too when the ride's bumpy. Curious as to why it's a common complaint.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPandaBear View Post
Anyone else's M-Performance steering wheel (stock on M235 and M240) making a lot of noise? Not the column, but the actual plastic itself. Lots of creaking / cracking anytime I turn the well / pull on it / etc etc.

Update: A lot of the noise seems to come from the middle / bottom part (where the M logo is). But it's also pretty prevalent wherever the plastic parts are on the wheel.

The simple fix is to tighten the screw behind the steering wheel. If you find that it's still making noise after tightening that screw, then you need to tighten the other two screws that hold this entire piece together. To get to those other screws you need to remove the airbag. It's not hard at all. You just need to disconnect the negative end of the battery and proceed with steps 1-3 in the thread below. In step 2 you don't even have to unplug anything since you'll have access to the two screws you need to tighten. Just simply tighten the two screws and the push the airbag back into place and your done. Mine was squeaky before I installed my M Performance Electronic wheel and tightening these three screws took the problem away.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1204092
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
DrunkPandaBear
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito310 View Post
The simple fix is to tighten the screw behind the steering wheel. If you find that it's still making noise after tightening that screw, then you need to tighten the other two screws that hold this entire piece together. To get to those other screws you need to remove the airbag. It's not hard at all. You just need to disconnect the negative end of the battery and proceed with steps 1-3 in the thread below. In step 2 you don't even have to unplug anything since you'll have access to the two screws you need to tighten. Just simply tighten the two screws and the push the airbag back into place and your done. Mine was squeaky before I installed my M Performance Electronic wheel and tightening these three screws took the problem away.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1204092
I'll have to give that a try. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Any good dealership will take take of this if you just show them the problem. Might be a good alternative to removing the airbag yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
DrunkPandaBear
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Any good dealership will take take of this if you just show them the problem. Might be a good alternative to removing the airbag yourself.
Have taken it to the dealership twice for this.
First time they over-tightened that middle screw to where the noise was even worse and you can tell it was over-torqued to where the pieces almost overlapped instead of being flushed (if that makes sense).

Took it back again and was met with the response of "We tested the steering wheel on other 235/240's and they made the same noise so this is not an issue / everything is working normal".
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post

Why take it to the dealer and spend 1-2 hours of your time for them to come back and tell you that there's no problem, or even worse, for them to make some other part start squeaking because they don't know what they're even looking for.

This is a 10-15 minute job at most. I know it sounds very daunting taking the airbag out, but it's a very simple job. The hardest part is probably disconnecting the negative cable from the battery! Which reminds me... don't close your trunk once you disconnect the battery. Keep it open fyi!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've never spent 1-2 hours at a dealer. If I bring a car in under warranty for any reason, I request a courtesy car and they are happy to give me one. My take is that BMWs are expensive and we deserve our asses kissed.
Appreciate 0