THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What's up with X1 & 4 series drivers?

05-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

What's up with X1 & 4 series drivers?

They're giving us a bad name..
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/5/1...ident-7739270/
      05-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Hmm, I wonder what it could be that makes X1 and X4 drivers more likely to get into accidents.. Evoque drivers too, it's a real mystery why the owners of these cars would reverse into other cars in the Starbucks parking lot.

I actually saw an Evoque soccer mom ram a poor guy outside CVS the other day, she backed into him hard enough to lift his car off the ground. The look of despair on his face was priceless and she didn't help by laughing at it.

Stereotypes are real apparently.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Hmm, I wonder what it could be that makes X1 and X4 drivers more likely to get into accidents.. Evoque drivers too, it's a real mystery why the owners of these cars would reverse into other cars in the Starbucks parking lot.

I actually saw an Evoque soccer mom ram a poor guy outside CVS the other day, she backed into him hard enough to lift his car off the ground. The look of despair on his face was priceless and she didn't help by laughing at it.

Stereotypes are real apparently.
Stereotypes exist because there's a certain amount of truth to them. The trick is realizing that not everyone who drives an Evoque is a Victoria Beckham wannabe who wears sunglasses so dark she can't see properly out of them and (ahem) laughs at any accident she causes.

That said, it's safer to assume this until you actually see behavior that rebukes the stereotype. That sounds harsh, I know, but in the case of vehicle profiling it has saved my hide many, many times over.

As for the OP's point: the X1 and 4 Series are classic "gateway" models often purchased by those who want to project a certain social image but who don't, in fact, actually belong within the image. That creates a mental superiority complex in some that affects everything from interpersonal behavior to attention span. I'm sure that effect is part of the reason for the statistic.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Stereotypes exist because there's a certain amount of truth to them. The trick is realizing that not everyone who drives an Evoque is a Victoria Beckham wannabe who wears sunglasses so dark she can't see properly out of them and (ahem) laughs at any accident she causes.

That said, it's safer to assume this until you actually see behavior that rebukes the stereotype. That sounds harsh, I know, but in the case of vehicle profiling it has saved my hide many, many times over.

As for the OP's point: the X1 and 4 Series are classic "gateway" models often purchased by those who want to project a certain social image but who don't, in fact, actually belong within the image. That creates a mental superiority complex in some that affects everything from interpersonal behavior to attention span. I'm sure that effect is part of the reason for the statistic.

My wife told me I was being silly for profiling other drivers based on their choice of car - until I (unfortunately) proved my point when my last car was destroyed by a big gold minivan
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I haven't driven a 4 series, I wounder if they are hard to see out of?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

This is from my observations.

4 series - mostly driven by douchebags and guidos
x1 - inattentive teens/older ladies that don't really car about driving and would jump at the chance of fully autonomous cars
      05-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post

x1 - inattentive teens/older ladies that don't really car about driving and would jump at the chance of fully autonomous cars
exactly my opinion as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post

Hilarious.... Couldn't agree more..

I'm right by a international border so the only 4 series I see are 20 somethings who stop often and find excuses to hold up Dolce & Gabbana bags above their heads so everyone can see them and flock to their mad coding skillz.

X1's aren's an issue in my area as much as X3 and 5... Never seen more inattentive people in my life. If you aren't in their Facebook feed or actually chatting to them at the time, they will probably run into you and then sue you for damages to their plastic surgery.

They are always a source of amusement for me.

My stereotype qualifier is dirt and maintenance.. If you see a X5 that is totally covered in road grime and never been washed, switch lanes or park far away immediately.. They have zero respect for their vehicle or anyone else other than Kanye..

Surprisingly, I have not seen this with X1 owners.....

Yet..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00