THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help w M240i Options

05-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #23
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

You're right, 461s are not available for me as standard...I'm sure I could've special-ordered, but I'm starting to like the 436s more and more. I'm gonna keep it pretty stock at first, but I may go to Dinan springs/bumpstops, camber plates and maybe 12.5-mm spacers to fill out the fenders a little more with the stock wheels/tires.

I test-drove a used M235i with all-black Sensatec, and thought it was pretty nice...but the Terra just spoke to me. I like the contrast, and the two-tone seems more upmarket. Terra actually looks good when it's a little dirty, but you can't say the same for Oyster.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
You're right, 461s are not available for me as standard...I'm sure I could've special-ordered, but I'm starting to like the 436s more and more. I'm gonna keep it pretty stock at first, but I may go to Dinan springs/bumpstops, camber plates and maybe 12.5-mm spacers to fill out the fenders a little more with the stock wheels/tires.

I test-drove a used M235i with all-black Sensatec, and thought it was pretty nice...but the Terra just spoke to me. I like the contrast, and the two-tone seems more upmarket. Terra actually looks good when it's a little dirty, but you can't say the same for Oyster.
Yeah oyster is a nice interior colour w black or possibly even grey exterior colour, but it's so light (almost white) meaning it will get a tad dirty unless u are careful. I had cream-beige in my former 335i (basically almost as light as oyster but not as nice as oyster since it still has a touch of beige in it). I take really good care of my cars, so it wasn't a problem to keep clean, and I used black floor mats. However, saddle brown would have been a better choice (it's a tad orangy) but sportier than cream beige. It seems the brown interiors (terra, saddle brown) are the preferred choices, especially now that u can get an anthracite headliner and black shadow line on the windows. It's the brown colour on the doors that sells it for me, as u can see them when the doors are open.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #25
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Yeah oyster is a nice interior colour w black or possibly even grey exterior colour, but it's so light (almost white) meaning it will get a tad dirty unless u are careful. I had cream-beige in my former 335i (basically almost as light as oyster but not as nice as oyster since it still has a touch of beige in it). I take really good care of my cars, so it wasn't a problem to keep clean, and I used black floor mats. However, saddle brown would have been a better choice (it's a tad orangy) but sportier than cream beige. It seems the brown interiors (terra, saddle brown) are the preferred choices, especially now that u can get an anthracite headliner and black shadow line on the windows. It's the brown colour on the doors that sells it for me, as u can see them when the doors are open.
We had Saddle Brown on our Mineral Green X5. Looked great even 7 years later. It's a perfect brown--not too dark, not too light, and very natural looking.

We have Oyster on the new X5 (the spouse's). Only time will tell how it looks in the long run. Can't say I'm optimistic. I have a black interior for my 240 convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i
Quote:
We had Saddle Brown on our Mineral Green X5. Looked great even 7 years later. It's a perfect brown--not too dark, not too light, and very natural looking.

We have Oyster on the new X5 (the spouse's). Only time will tell how it looks in the long run. Can't say I'm optimistic. I have a black interior for my 240 convertible.
LOVE saddle have on wagon. Wish they offered it on 2 so nice w BSM.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I believe Saddle will be available as part of the LCI on the 2018 2s.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Quote:

Oh shit that's awesome. I do love my CR but that's def the best brown they offer. If I don't keep the vert SB here I come. Maybe if I add a 2GC to the stable.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #29
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh shit that's awesome. I do love my CR but that's def the best brown they offer. If I don't keep the vert SB here I come. Maybe if I add a 2GC to the stable.
Yes. This is the only LCI addition I'm a bit envious of. It would look pretty amazing with Estoril, and the new blues they're introducing.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #30
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Orbit Gray:
I have these on my Estoril/oyster 228ix Msport. I like them.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #31
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post

So is saddle brown going to be available on 2018 M240xi coupe too? What external colours will be offered? Saddle goes well w blue, Terra goes better w grey, and it's hard to say which is better w white or black. Saddle can get too orangy depending on the dye lot... terra isn't quite as natural a brown (more like a football brown).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #32
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Actually I believe the 2018 LCI (AKA facelift?) for the 2 series will be offering Cognac leather not saddle brown. I'm not sure of the difference between them, but suspect they are pretty close and a tad too orangy depending on the dye lot. I'll post some more insights I've learned about the 2018 MY soon, but at face value I don't like the changes their making, and will likely stick w 2017 MY.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #33
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

My bad. I did read somewhere recently that the new leather color is Cognac. Not sure how that differs from Saddle Brown.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #34
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Not a fan of the Mineral White. Too much silver hue in sunlight for my taste. It's a classy, upscale color that better suits the 5/7 Series, but the Alpine is sportier and matches the 2 Series very well. Plus, it's $700 cheaper.
I've had several chances now to see the Mineral white in the sun (and I feel the same way every time I do) and I agree 100% it's just not white in the sun - I dunno what colour it is - silver, matte white, creamy/golden white... I dunno but it ain't white and I don't like it. MAY BE on a larger non-sports car it would work, but on the M240i u gotta stick w AW.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #35
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've had several chances now to see the Mineral white in the sun (and I feel the same way every time I do) and I agree 100% it's just not white in the sun - I dunno what colour it is - silver, matte white, creamy/golden white... I dunno but it ain't white and I don't like it. MAY BE on a larger non-sports car it would work, but on the M240i u gotta stick w AW.
Agreed. Mineral White is a little to close to the pearl whites of Lexus, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #36
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

As for style 436M vs. 461M, as eloquently enunciated above they both come in a ferric (i.e., medium dark) grey for the M240i in Canada. Only 436M is offered on the M240i in the U.S., albeit it also comes there in orbit grey (really dark grey), which is a $500 upgrade in Canada (they only come standard w RFTs performance tires, but u can get the preferred non-RFTs performance tires for yet another $400 on top of that - $900 is too much IMHO, and I'm not convinced the orbit grey is that much better if at all). Although I'm torn between 436M vs. 461M, I'm gonna take some family advice and go with style 436M (ferric grey) w non-RFTs performance tires (and they had better be a staggered setup of MPSS). The family thinks 461M is just too spindly and plain, and prefer the fuller, more complex look of 436M. What do ya think, my blessed comrads?

Here's a few pics (not sure how to add pics darn it - need help):

436M (ferric grey):
http://www.passportbmw.com/assets/in...86646/ip/9.jpg
http://www.passportbmw.com/assets/in...86646/ip/2.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps2f09b730.jpg

461M (ferric grey):
https://pk56.files.wordpress.com/201...rricgrey-a.jpg
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/e90ga...3/IMG_0831.jpg
http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AET...0499302_1b.jpg

Last edited by Dr. Indiana Jones; 05-15-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #37
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep

I think you'll like the grip and ride quality of the non-RFT MPSS's. Run-flats tend to feel lumpy....I test-drove an xDrive with Pirelli RFTs and was not impressed. Are you going to get a winter setup as well?

The 436s do look more aggressive, and I'm a fan of the Ferric Gray...you can see the shapes of the spokes much better. The Orbit Gray looks like some high-schooler went crazy with black Plasti-Dip. I think the 436s are the wheel that most people (North Americans, at least) associate with the M235i/240i, so 10 or 15 years down the road they'll still look "right."
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #38
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll like the grip and ride quality of the non-RFT MPSS's. Run-flats tend to feel lumpy....I test-drove an xDrive with Pirelli RFTs and was not impressed. Are you going to get a winter setup as well?

The 436s do look more aggressive, and I'm a fan of the Ferric Gray...you can see the shapes of the spokes much better. The Orbit Gray looks like some high-schooler went crazy with black Plasti-Dip. I think the 436s are the wheel that most people (North Americans, at least) associate with the M235i/240i, so 10 or 15 years down the road they'll still look "right."
Thx rightrudder... as always, I appreciate your insightfulness. I agree the orbit grey is just too dark, and not worth the extra $. To clarify, technically the overall cost in getting them w non-RFTs is actually $665 not $900 in Canada ($500 for the option, but residual value on a lease increases by $235, so net extra cost is $265) + $400 for the non-RFT special order. It's also very comforting to know that in the U.S., they only offer 436M on the higher model M240i/xi in either ferric grey or orbit grey. Also, at my local dealer, all the M240i/xi's on the lot are 436M... no one it seems (at least not the dealer) is selecting 461M in ferric grey, or ponying up for the orbit grey 436M. Only the M230i/xi had the 461M (albeit in the less desirable light/non-ferric version). So it seems there is a lot of truth to your claim that the 436Ms are the wheel that most people (North Americans, at least) associate with the M235i/240i.

I didn't know that about perf RFTs riding "lumpy", but then again I've only driven RFTs in past BMWs in A/S format.

As for winter, although I have an older set of all-square 17" rims w Toyo winter tires for higher-end sports cars (can't recall the exact model offhand) and they have lots of tire left on them, I'm toying with selling them and basically getting another aftermarket set with the same specs likely. I usually buy from Superior Tire in Toronto, Canada, so my choices are limited. What are your feelings on going down to 17" all-square (presumably 7.5 inch tire width across the board) for winter? My tire guy generally recommends 17"s, but I suppose u could run 18"s? All square is probably a good idea too for winter?

Last edited by Dr. Indiana Jones; 05-16-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #39
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones
Quote:

Thx rightrudder... as always, I appreciate your insightfulness. I agree the orbit grey is just too dark, and not worth the extra $. To clarify, technically the overall cost in getting them w non-RFTs is actually $665 not $900 in Canada ($500 for the option, but residual value on a lease increases by $235, so net extra cost is $265) + $400 for the non-RFT special order. It's also very comforting to know that in the U.S., they only offer 436M on the higher model M240i/xi in either ferric grey or orbit grey. Also, at my local dealer, all the M240i/xi's on the lot are 436M... no one it seems (at least not the dealer) is selecting 461M in ferric grey, or ponying up for the orbit grey 436M. Only the M230i/xi had the 461M (albeit in the less desirable light/non-ferric version). So it seems there is a lot of truth to your claim that the 436Ms are the wheel that most people (North Americans, at least) associate with the M235i/240i.

I didn't know that about perf RFTs riding "lumpy", but then again I've only driven RFTs in past BMWs in A/S format.

As for winter, although I have an older set of all-square 17" rims w Toyo winter tires for higher-end sports cars (can't recall the exact model offhand) and they have lots of tire left on them, I'm toying with selling them and basically getting another aftermarket set with the same specs likely. I usually buy from Superior Tire in Toronto, Canada, so my choices are limited. What are your feelings on going down to 17" all-square (presumably 7.5 inch tire width across the board) for winter? My tire guy generally recommends 17"s, but I suppose u could run 18"s? All square is probably a good idea too for winter?
I run square 17" all year round and love them. If roads by you aren't great they definitely help especially in the winter when you often can't see exactly what you may be driving over. For winter especially smallest wheel that will clear the brakes to maximize sidewall and if lots of snow the narrower the better.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #40
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep

If appearance is important you could go 18s for winter, but 17s will be cheaper and lighter. A 17x7.5 square setup is great, with a winter tire of either 215 or 225 section width, typically with 45-50 profiles. I've had really good luck with Bridgestone Blizzaks...I'm a SoCal guy, but I've done two AlCan winter rallies driving into the Arctic Circle, then Anchorage, from Washington state, and the Blizzaks were exceptionally good on ice...for a non-studded tire.

On one Alcan, we drove all the way to Tuktoyaktuk on the MacKenzie River ice road, as seen on Ice Road Truckers. Too much fun! 4400 miles in nine days is a little grueling, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #41
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think the 461M's in Ferric Gray would look great! The spoke design makes the wheels look bigger than the 436M's and as you say, they'd be easier to clean. Of course, the real answer is whatever suits your eye.

BTW, I didn't find the 436m's all that hard to clean, but then again I've had some pretty intricate alloys on my cars over the years. Everything's relative.

Picking colors and wheels seems so simple on the surface, but I agonized over interior/exterior color & trim for weeks!! Finally went with Estoril Blue/Terra Dakota/brushed trim/Ferric 436M wheels and I'm feeling good about it. (First World problems )
Thx Rightrudder and BEM-S4 for your insights! Here's the latest:

My family and I FINALLY got to see the 461M (ferric grey) in person on a 2-series, and to my utter surprise, they now want me to go with them instead. The 436M looks real good on my min grey M235i, but the 461M seems better suited to an AW M240xi. [Anyway Indy, sho is crushing his hat at the moment, is very glad this mind-numbing decision is finally over, and I placed the order (ahem in midst of switching to style 461M).]

As for winter set-up, I spoke to some BMW parts dudes, and they basically agree w what u've both said. Although I think u could get away w 18"s, I'm probably going to take everyone's suggestion to go w 17"s (cheaper, and more sidewall to plow thru the snow better, in an all square set-up, and I think they only come in 7" (215??) width.

Now what about these Bridgestone Blizzaks! I'm used to running Toyo Garritt's w the crushed walnuts in the tread (they've been pretty good - on my second set). I was leaning towards Michelin X-ice next go around, assuming I can sell my existing set of winter rims. R the Blizzaks really that good, especially when it comes to ice? I've always been partial to Michelin for longevity and performance, but they can be v expensive.

P.S. I'm going to try to post a thread about the differences between the 2017 & 2018 M240i, in case anyone is debating them.

Last edited by Dr. Indiana Jones; 05-20-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thx Rightrudder and BEM-S4 for your insights! Here's the latest:

My family and I FINALLY got to see the 461M (ferric grey) in person on a 2-series, and to my utter surprise, they now want me to go with them instead. The 436M looks real good on my min grey M235i, but the 461M seems better suited to an AW M240xi. [Anyway Indy, sho is crushing his hat at the moment, is very glad this mind-numbing decision is finally over, and I placed the order (ahem in midst of switching to style 461M).]

As for winter set-up, I spoke to some BMW parts dudes, and they basically agree w what u've both said. Although I think u could get away w 18"s, I'm probably going to take everyone's suggestion to go w 17"s (cheaper, and more sidewall to plow thru the snow better, in an all square set-up, and I think they only come in 7" (215??) width.

Now what about these Bridgestone Blizzaks! I'm used to running Toyo Garritt's w the crushed walnuts in the tread (they've been pretty good - on my second set). I was leaning towards Michelin X-ice next go around, assuming I can sell my existing set of winter rims. R the Blizzaks really that good, especially when it comes to ice? I've always been partial to Michelin for longevity and performance, but they can be v expensive.

P.S. I'm going to try to post a thread about the differences between the 2017 & 2018 M240i, in case anyone is debating them.
You're on the right path with 215/50-17 or 205/50-17 winter tires, square set up. Narrower produces more psi downforce on the contact patch to cut through snow, and you can see for yourself on the 1010tires.com calculator that these sizes will fit.

Here's the primary difference between XIcexi3 and WS80...the Michelins have a performance edge and are better in the winter when on dry surfaces. The Blizzaks are softer and will have the edge for snow/ice traction at the cost of dry surface performance. The choice depends on your philosophy of how to get through winter...give in and try to have the best traction in the worst conditions, or try to maintain a performance attitude on any dry surface you can find when its sub-freezing out.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-20-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Choose the particular winter wheel carefully in 17" sizes. The 17x7.5" winter Rial wheels I used on my 135i, which have the correct BMW offset and bore do not clear the rear brake calipers and are paper thickness close on the front calipers on the M240i.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Choose the particular winter wheel carefully in 17" sizes. The 17x7.5" winter Rial wheels I used on my 135i, which have the correct BMW offset and bore do not clear the rear brake calipers and are paper thickness close on the front calipers on the M240i.
This is a great point! Using the online tool at tirerack.com, you can specify "MSport Brakes" to only see wheels which clear the blue calipers. Doing so, I found a nice set of Anzios. Better to pick this choice than the "staggered" option for winter wheels and tires.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0