THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum car stuck at port - going on 3 weeks...

05-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

car stuck at port - going on 3 weeks...

My car was delivered almost 3 weeks ago at the port in Baltimore and it suffered some minor damage a door (it was described to me by the dealer as something that we wouldn't even notice, but the VPC are such perfectionists that they wanted to fix it - who knows what the truth is).

they've since told me multiple times over the last 10 days that the car has been released for pick up, but today, still no car. It seems like my dealer doesn't have much control over the trucking company and when it gets picked up, but at what point should I start being upset about the delay and is there anything I can do about it?
Appreciate 1
BPC45.50
      05-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
My car was delivered almost 3 weeks ago at the port in Baltimore and it suffered some minor damage a door (it was described to me by the dealer as something that we wouldn't even notice, but the VPC are such perfectionists that they wanted to fix it - who knows what the truth is).

they've since told me multiple times over the last 10 days that the car has been released for pick up, but today, still no car. It seems like my dealer doesn't have much control over the trucking company and when it gets picked up, but at what point should I start being upset about the delay and is there anything I can do about it?
Wasn't this a plot line in season 2 of The Wire?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Which dealer?
where are you located ?

well it sounds like at least paint damage and maybe sheet metal. and paint damage may mean blending in to other panels. So when you finally inspect car do it under sunlight and also under indoor lighting. when inspecting car under bright sunlight it can be difficult so try with and without sunglasses and in direct sunlight and in partial shade.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Which dealer?
where are you located ?

well it sounds like at least paint damage and maybe sheet metal. and paint damage may mean blending in to other panels. So when you finally inspect car do it under sunlight and also under indoor lighting. when inspecting car under bright sunlight it can be difficult so try with and without sunglasses and in direct sunlight and in partial shade.
I wouldn't take/pay for it. Order another one.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Lease or own?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayevman View Post
Quote:
Which dealer?
where are you located ?

I wouldn't take/pay for it. Order another one.
If own yes when resale time comes any potential buyer if doing a PPI will notice paint work. Lease if you're not planning to keep who cares.

That said a LOT of new cars get little issues either in port at dealer whatever and no one ever knows. My sister in law was test driving a Q5 got rear ended at like 15mph. When it came back to dealer they made sure everyone was ok then fixed the cosmetic damage to the bumper and sold it without disclosing anything. Not to us but I know for a fact someone else unwittingly bought it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If own yes when resale time comes any potential buyer if doing a PPI will notice paint work. Lease if you're not planning to keep who cares.

That said a LOT of new cars get little issues either in port at dealer whatever and no one ever knows. My sister in law was test driving a Q5 got rear ended at like 15mph. When it came back to dealer they made sure everyone was ok then fixed the cosmetic damage to the bumper and sold it without disclosing anything. Not to us but I know for a fact someone else unwittingly bought it.
I know someone this happened to. The guy bought a new F250 and within weeks the rear tires were wearing out uneven. The truck had been rear ended really hard, they fixed the body, but the frame was bent. They sold it to him like that, unknowingly to him.

There are alot of shady dealers out there...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
airansun
CRCL GME
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i & 2003 Miata SE

Ask the dealer for full disclosure of the damage and repair. I bet there are photos somewhere, but I doubt you'll ever see them.

Consider asking for a discount, depending on what you learn.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Which dealer?
where are you located ?

this is BMW Silver Spring. i'm in DC. my CA has been awesome and was highly recommended by forum members so no issues with him - but I need something more than "there's nothing I can do" - the car is either forgotten about and no one is coming for it or the damage was more significant than indicated...

either way, i have to imagine they could send a truck there if they "had" to..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Lease or own?
lease. i'm not super fussed by the damage TBH, assuming it was minor as described. it's gonna get dings within he first month as I'm in DC...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airansun View Post
Ask the dealer for full disclosure of the damage and repair. I bet there are photos somewhere, but I doubt you'll ever see them.

Consider asking for a discount, depending on what you learn.
agreed. i figure there is potentially some extra discounting that could occur. or alternatively, they could waive some of the fixes required for my lease turn in (current car needs two new tires, number, and some minor body work - all in ~1K)...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
this is BMW Silver Spring. i'm in DC. my CA has been awesome and was highly recommended by forum members so no issues with him - but I need something more than "there's nothing I can do" - the car is either forgotten about and no one is coming for it or the damage was more significant than indicated...

either way, i have to imagine they could send a truck there if they "had" to..
My car went from the port of Baltimore to Towson dealership in 3-days, or sometime similar.

BMW Silver Spring in one of those Mile-One owned retailers. No doubt that company has some great sales-people. Had an amazing sales guy at their Catonsville dealership. It's their upper level - sales managers that 'bite', and couldn't buy from them.

Have a few stories, but the one that is representative is. Years back at their mercedes dealer in silver spring, went to pick-up my new c-class. The car was in the very large drop off area in the indoor service bay. All the new cars for pick up were facing to the exit, but my car was facing the entrance with the passenger side of the car close to a wall, they did that so I wouldn't notice the two door dings in the rear door - they positioned the car so I couldn't get the sight angle to observe the defect.

Shit like that is from being run by low life's at the top management.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd use it to leverage a better deal or a break on your turn-in, but trying to reorder seems extreme for a lease (and would really stretch out the wait). IIRC, a relative of mine had a similar situation that the dealer basically gave him a free pass on body issues when he turned it in, so he didn't need to fix any of the door rash, a real good deal as they were down in NYC bumper-cars and he had already accepted that it was not going to stay nice - I think he got the offer b/c he asked if they could delay the repairs for a year or two so as to include some of the acquired damage (I guess down there you budget for yearly ding-repair like others do for a good detailing). If you have doubts about extent of damage, you can take it to a body shop for frame check - if it was really major damage that will affect frame alignment, then resolving it won't depend on your not noticing at pickup.
Appreciate 0