THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW 228i C-Pillar Noise

02-12-2024, 05:16 AM   #1
BiggestBMWFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i, BMW 330i

Question BMW 228i C-Pillar Noise

Good day,

I recently bought my wife a 2014 BMW 228i.

I noticed while driving a noise / rattle coming from the LHS rear of the cabin.

Upon further investigation it turns out the noise / rattle is coming from the c-pillar area - see attached image. I sat in the back seat while my wife drove and found if you apply pressure to the corner of the glass with one finger the noise disappears.

Any idea how to resolve the issue? Is there perhaps a frame or bracket the secure the glass that may require tightening?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #2
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
The rattling typically comes from the child seat lock covers. Maybe check there first. Many owners will add a foam tape to prevent it from rattling or remove the cover altogether. The position is very close to where you have the arrow pointed so perhaps it could just be a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:20 AM   #3
BiggestBMWFan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
The rattling typically comes from the child seat lock covers. Maybe check there first. Many owners will add a foam tape to prevent it from rattling or remove the cover altogether. The position is very close to where you have the arrow pointed so perhaps it could just be a mistake.
I took the car into my local BMW dealer and it was indeed the rear side window causing the problem.

Initially BMW quoted me to remove and re-install the side window. I was then informed that the rubber around the window may be damaged during the removal process and that unfortunately the rubber is not available separately and that I would need to then purchase an entirely new side window at a huge cost.

I decided not to go ahead with the repair.

I will have to try and figure out if there is another less expensive alternative to addressing the rattle.
Appreciate 1
Dom14790.50
      03-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Have you identified the actually case of the noise? Perhaps an automotive glass company can "adjust" the window.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 02:43 AM   #5
BiggestBMWFan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Have you identified the actually case of the noise? Perhaps an automotive glass company can "adjust" the window.
No, they did not identify the actual noise which is incredibly frustrating.

Maybe I should take the car to a automotive glass company and she what they suggest.
Appreciate 0