BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Closeup BMW M2 photos - M double slat grilles and peek at Long Beach Blue

07-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #155
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
If BMW added a color at Leipzig for the M2, it could have been any color. The only valid counter argument I can think of is that BMW has plans for more LBB cars to come out of Leipzig, and going with another color would have disrupted those plans.
This may very well be BMW's rationale behind the colour choise but then LBB on the M2 would no longer be "special". In which case, why not use a current, and more desirable, colour?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #156
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes... and the setup and changeover process.... isn't an easy process... so... while 30 colors are possible... they are not possible ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Cool to see the list of 30 colors.. THANK YOU. The fact that EIGHTEEN of the 30 are grey/white/black/silver says a lot already... and realistically.. only 4-6 of those colors are bright colors.... 2 reds... 2 oranges... and throw in a couple of the blues for good measure.
Quote:
... and it's clear that BMW is using three stage paints that vary in shade as part of their bright colors..

Valencia Orange
Austin Yellow
Long Beach Blue
Yas Marina Blue
etc..

And even the non white/gray/black colors for the M3/M4... Sakhir orange, is a color that changes a lot along with Silverstone.
Some of those colours look good in any light. While LBB can look good in certain light, what most take issue with is the light in which it does not look good and the colour that it appears as, i.e. turquoise. Would you buy a turquoise M2 if that was the colour that it always appeared as? Perhaps you would. I wouldn't.

Had BMW chosen a more suitable colour then there wouldn't be so many comments and threads about this one colour.

One solution could have been to drop Estoril Blue or Deep Sea Blue from the standard cars and either (i) assign it to the M2 as a replacement for LLB or (ii) assign a new blue to the M2 as a replacement to LLB. Problem solved. Still the same number of colours and same types of colours. No impact to the paint process. Seems easy enough.

In the end, I'm not pinning my hopes on any of this happening because I know it won't happen - BMW has already decided on the colour palette. I rarely respond to threads such as this as I prefer to wait until the final product is officially announced by BMW. I was only responding to the question: What blue BMW colour would you consider "special" then? Nothing more or less than what others have previously posted.
In any case, I will be patiently waiting for an M2 CSL (or equivalent) and, if it happens to be released in the same colours as the standard M2, then I'll just buy an AW M2 CSL and, when I get bored with it, I'll wrap it. My colour problem solved. Then again, I'll also be cross-shopping an M2 CSL against a GT4 - now there's a car with a colour range.

Quote:
here is a very light blue " Yas Marina " - 1M...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144799
I like this colour.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #157
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The question you want answered is does [WHATEVER COLOR - EVEN WITH HIDEOUS STRIPES OR POLKA DOTS] work on a car like the Porsche Cayman GT4 ?

Yes........

^ I wouldn't go that far.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #158
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Some of those colours look good in any light. While LBB can look good in certain light, what most take issue with is the light in which it does not look good and the colour that it appears as, i.e. turquoise. Would you buy a turquoise M2 if that was the colour that it always appeared as? Perhaps you would. I wouldn't.

Had BMW chosen a more suitable colour then there wouldn't be so many comments and threads about this one colour.

One solution could have been to drop Estoril Blue or Deep Sea Blue from the standard cars and either (i) assign it to the M2 as a replacement for LLB or (ii) assign a new blue to the M2 as a replacement to LLB. Problem solved. Still the same number of colours and same types of colours. No impact to the paint process. Seems easy enough.

In the end, I'm not pinning my hopes on any of this happening because I know it won't happen - BMW has already decided on the colour palette. I rarely respond to threads such as this as I prefer to wait until the final product is officially announced by BMW. I was only responding to the question: What blue BMW colour would you consider "special" then? Nothing more or less than what others have previously posted.
In any case, I will be patiently waiting for an M2 CSL (or equivalent) and, if it happens to be released in the same colours as the standard M2, then I'll just buy an AW M2 CSL and, when I get bored with it, I'll wrap it. My colour problem solved. Then again, I'll also be cross-shopping an M2 CSL against a GT4 - now there's a car with a colour range.

I like this colour.
You keep mentioning "suitable" and "desirable" when that's completely subjective. The whole reason I love LBB is because it does in fact turn turquoise. With the right mods, I think it'll look amazing. LBB looks almost identical to Atlantis Blue, which was a pretty desirable (again subjective) Individual color that people paid a pretty penny for.

Let's say they do offer YMB as the loud color for the M2, I don't see how that would be any different as YMB is just as polarizing as LBB, if not more. You'd have the same amount of people bitching and moaning. And while I love Estoril Blue, that color is offered from an X1 to a Z4. So how can you really say it's special? It's futile to have a discussion about colors because it's so subjective anyway. I do however think that the M2 is going to look brilliant in any of those 4 colors though.

Either way, as I've said a million times before: I want to get an M2 because of the way it drives. Not because what colors are available.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #159
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

I like this colour.
You keep mentioning "suitable" and "desirable" when that's completely subjective. The whole reason I love LBB is because it does in fact turn turquoise. With the right mods, I think it'll look amazing. LBB looks almost identical to Atlantis Blue, which was a pretty desirable (again subjective) Individual color that people paid a pretty penny for.

Let's say they do offer YMB as the loud color for the M2, I don't see how that would be any different as YMB is just as polarizing as LBB, if not more. You'd have the same amount of people bitching and moaning. And while I love Estoril Blue, that color is offered from an X1 to a Z4. So how can you really say it's special? It's futile to have a discussion about colors because it's so subjective anyway. I do however think that the M2 is going to look brilliant in any of those 4 colors though.

Either way, as I've said a million times before: I want to get an M2 because of the way it drives. Not because what colors are available.
You're right, it is all subjective and all I did was post my opinions, which happen to align with many others.

I think that Atlantis Blue photo is borderline turquoise - although I might even think that it looks nice! - but I've seen too many photos that show how else LBB might look and it isn't for me.

I recall YMB being just as divisive - there's no pleasing everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #160
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Don't get worked up, forum fellows.
The real reason why the M2 gets LBB: a bean counter at BMW massively mixed up, by mistake, figures when ordering a batch of LBB paint for the whole X5M production. And so the X5M, X6M and the M2 get it.

I would bet the X1 as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:04 AM   #161
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
BMW also presented the X4 Concept in it. Someone's toddler at BMW Design must be madly in love with this color.
(source)

07-02-2015, 03:25 AM   #162
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Don't get worked up, forum fellows.
The real reason why the M2 gets LBB: a bean counter at BMW massively mixed up, by mistake, figures when ordering a batch of LBB paint for the whole X5M production. And so the X5M, X6M and the M2 get it.

The X1 is getting Long Beach Blue in M-Sport Guise.

The X2 will be getting LBB too !!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #163
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
The question you want answered is does [WHATEVER COLOR - EVEN WITH HIDEOUS STRIPES OR POLKA DOTS] work on a car like the Porsche Cayman GT4 ?

Yes........
No.

I have yet to see LBB in person, so I won't judge like everyone else because, you know, sometimes things look different IRL than on the Internet; and we still got AW. You can't go wrong with AW.
      07-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #164
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:

Yes........
No.

I have yet to see LBB in person, so I won't judge like everyone else because, you know, sometimes things look different IRL than on the Internet; and we still got AW. You can't go wrong with AW.
Agreed. Colors and exhausts must be seen and heard in person, respectively, before a purchasing decisions are made.
If you don't do that, you might as well test drive the GT6 concept on your PlayStation before deciding if the M2 is for you!
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #165
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
You're right, it is all subjective and all I did was post my opinions, which happen to align with many others.

I think that Atlantis Blue photo is borderline turquoise - although I might even think that it looks nice! - but I've seen too many photos that show how else LBB might look and it isn't for me.

I recall YMB being just as divisive - there's no pleasing everyone.
Absolutely. I've said it since day one, there's a lot of green/turquoise in LBB depending on the lighting. I think with CF aero parts, a nice brushed aluminum finish wheels and a small drop, an M2 LBB is exactly what the doctor ordered for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Agreed. Colors and exhausts must be seen and heard in person, respectively, before a purchasing decisions are made.
If you don't do that, you might as well test drive the GT6 concept on your PlayStation before deciding if the M2 is for you!
+1. Great analogy
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #166
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The question you want answered is does Long Beach Blue work on a car like the M2? Yes........
I hope I don't come off as rude when I say: that's not the question. The question, at least to me, is whether or not the color LBB conveys an effeminate quality.
And the other cars which BMW is painting this color implies the answer is - yes. The X4, x5 and x6 are cars preferred by women (confirmation, http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-women-761218) and are offered in LBB. I don't think that's happenstance.
Believe me when I say I like women. But the car is shaping up to be visually aggressive and LBB, as the of flagship color, does not, IMO, carry that message well enough.
I reserve the right to change my mind and recant all I've said when I see it fully decked out in LBB!
I'm probably not normal which is fine but the colour is the last thing that interests me on this car. Can't wait to hear and feel how it drives!

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #167
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I'm not a huge fan of LBB but I'm only looking at pictures. I think my first choice would be mineral grey. If CF roof is in play then alpine white.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #168
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3ccable View Post
I witnessed LBB on the X6M on an overcast day and it appeared teal in hue, as others have mentioned. Admittedly, I liked it, but I can understand why it would not appeal to the masses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Agreed. I saw this color on a fleet x6m at Watkins Glen Sunday. It is a nice color but didn't seem to fit the iconic image of bmw. Reminded me of a 90s Saturn color.

Name:  X6M_Frontview.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  31.8 KBName:  Sadness_InsideOut.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  16.2 KB
      07-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #169
M3ichael
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW ///M3 DCT

Great photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #170
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
I am still not sure about LBB. When it looks turquoise i don't like it, when it looks more blue it looks awesome. Both very different shades. My wife and daughter's fav colour is turquoise I'm sure they would love it.
You only have to look at the blue calipers to see how far away from blue it is. Use the first stripe in the ///M logo on the caliper as references and the 2nd pic shows how I wish it looked all the time. How can they be so different??
Don't worry about the blue calipers color harmony. LBB and the blue interior stitching may suit well with a 'Pepsi Next' can inside the cupholder.

Name:  Pepsi_Next.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  32.8 KB
      07-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #171
B///MW
Lance Bombardier
United_States
Rep
Drives: It varies

This is me, realizing that, living in New Mexico, may obligate me to order a turquoise M2!

Last edited by B///MW; 07-02-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #172
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Yeah yeah, we get it that you don't like LBB even though you've probably never seen it IRL, Artemis.

Bemo said it very well.

Quite surprised you guys are fine with one interior choice. I dislike non ventilated leather and if it is really gonna be black leather like in the 1 M, I won't be very happy. Sweaty ass crack sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #173
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
I am still not sure about LBB. When it looks turquoise i don't like it, when it looks more blue it looks awesome. Both very different shades. My wife and daughter's fav colour is turquoise I'm sure they would love it.
You only have to look at the blue calipers to see how far away from blue it is. Use the first stripe in the ///M logo on the caliper as references and the 2nd pic shows how I wish it looked all the time. How can they be so different??
Don't worry about the blue calipers color harmony. LBB and the blue interior stitching may suit well with a 'Pepsi Next' can inside the cupholder.

Attachment 1236880
I'll take it!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #174
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yeah yeah, we get it that you don't like LBB even though you've probably never seen it IRL, Artemis.

Bemo said it very well.

Quite surprised you guys are fine with one interior choice. I dislike non ventilated leather and if it is really gonna be black leather like in the 1 M, I won't be very happy. Sweaty ass crack sucks.
Better than dry chafing ass crack.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #175
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I'd get some sleep if i were you.

yeah he definitely needs some sleep and new eyes..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #176
B///MW
Lance Bombardier
United_States
Rep
Drives: It varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
My CA is on the look-out to let me know the first LBB to land in one of our two local dealerships, to experience in person. It truly could be an attractive color consideration for an M order, especially with the given single interior color combo.

Last edited by B///MW; 07-02-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0