BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Would You Trade Your 235 for an M2 Knowing...

06-14-2015, 01:49 AM   #23
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo View Post
Oh please, the m235i is a great car, but so, so far removed from what is considered one of the best m cars in along time- the 1M. Why do you think the 1M holds it's value, while the 235 depreciates like every other run of the mill bimmer? Because it's better in every way....feel, conection, spirit.
It actually holds it's value because only 6309 were produced....
If it wasn't because of that it will depreciate like an say an M3
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 05:39 AM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
All except the 1M.
The 1M isn't a true M. That's why it's not called the M1. The 1M is great for what it is, but my M235i is superior in almost every way and it's also not a true M.

My $0.02.
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #25
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo View Post
Oh please, the m235i is a great car, but so, so far removed from what is considered one of the best m cars in along time- the 1M. Why do you think the 1M holds it's value, while the 235 depreciates like every other run of the mill bimmer? Because it's better in every way....feel, conection, spirit.
It actually holds it's value because only 6309 were produced....
If it wasn't because of that it will depreciate like an say an M3
the reason why the 6309 becomes important is that there are waaaaaaaaay more than 6309 people who want one. 740 cars in the US of course.

rarity means nothing without demand....people are in love with the 1M. When I drive around NYC It's like a rock and roll star is driving the streets (well I AM a rock and roll star too). there are not too many modern cars that create so much excitement....it's not the rarity....it's the madness. The looks (insanely bulged), and the reputation (hooligan). I get notes left on my car...people shouting messages of love in traffic...taking photos, etc. The car is like an alien.

the low production number only adds to that!! but it's not the only reason! It's rare to have an unhinged and basic sports car produced by the Germans these days and surprisingly the 1M was this.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the reason why the 6309 becomes important is that there are waaaaaaaaay more than 6309 people who want one. 740 cars in the US of course.

rarity means nothing without demand....people are in love with the 1M. When I drive around NYC It's like a rock and roll star is driving the streets (well I AM a rock and roll star too). there are not too many modern cars that create so much excitement....it's not the rarity....it's the madness. The looks (insanely bulged), and the reputation (hooligan). I get notes left on my car...people shouting messages of love in traffic...taking photos, etc. The car is like an alien.

the low production number only adds to that!! but it's not the only reason! It's rare to have an unhinged and basic sports car produced by the Germans these days and surprisingly the 1M was this.
I don't disagree the 1M is a great car, but if they hadn't made only such a fewer of them, then the price wouldn't be $50k not

There might be 30k people who want one but there are only 6k available....even things that are a POS will go for crazy values just because they are really collectible...
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #27
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The DCT in the M3 is amazing. Hopefully the M2 gets this option
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #28
challer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Nope. Not enough value. If they gave it a proper M engine? Very likely. If they made a Gran Coupe? Definitely. No question.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:15 AM   #29
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

My word.
The amount of mis-information and comical comments here are just too damn high!
Hahaha
Trolls abound
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #30
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:

I don't disagree the 1M is a great car, but if they hadn't made only such a fewer of them, then the price wouldn't be $50k not

There might be 30k people who want one but there are only 6k available....even things that are a POS will go for crazy values just because they are really collectible...
you are totally right that if they made 30000 1Ms they would not have appreciated the way they did....however what I mean to say is that rarity is not the only factor in their current demand; on top of rarity it has uniqueness----which sort of gives that car the ideal 1-2 punch for collectability.

The thing about the 1M is; the way it was engineered and developed as almost a 'rogue' project within BMW is part of the story so the rarity was actually a symptom of the uniqueness rather than being the cause.

The M2 does not need to be so limited because it has full company support; unlike the 1M which was rejected as an idea initially and then given a limited test run which backfired against demand.

The M2 additionally has more time for development and engineering so it will have a much more refined and evolved nature in comparison, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
The 1M isn't a true M. That's why it's not called the M1. The 1M is great for what it is, but my M235i is superior in almost every way and it's also not a true M.
My $0.02.
As it happens that some folks working at the BMW M Division visit this Bimmerpost website: do them a favor and elaborate what you mean by "true" and "superior". They might be interested to learn from you why they made the mistake to rank the 1M as an ///M car.
      06-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #32
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNcOmINg! View Post
My word.
The amount of mis-information and comical comments here are just too damn high!
Hahaha
Trolls abound
X M2. Some serious amusement in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #33
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Quote:

you are totally right that if they made 30000 1Ms they would not have appreciated the way they did....however what I mean to say is that rarity is not the only factor in their current demand; on top of rarity it has uniqueness----which sort of gives that car the ideal 1-2 punch for collectability.

The thing about the 1M is; the way it was engineered and developed as almost a 'rogue' project within BMW is part of the story so the rarity was actually a symptom of the uniqueness rather than being the cause.

The M2 does not need to be so limited because it has full company support; unlike the 1M which was rejected as an idea initially and then given a limited test run which backfired against demand.

The M2 additionally has more time for development and engineering so it will have a much more refined and evolved nature in comparison, IMO.
Said simply- being a limited run only matters in so far as people want to buy the car. Very few of a lot of cars are ever made (Z4 35is, etc.)...but very few of those limited runs see the type of demand/appreciation that the 1M has seen.

That demand is driven by the quality of the product, not the limited quantity produced.

M235i is a fine car- one that I am personally thrilled that BMW makes... In part because it gives M the capacity to really give the M2 the edge it deserves (and that they gave to the 1M).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

This thread is hilarious! This guy is describing crowd reactions to his 1M as if it were a Ferrari La Ferrari or something lol!
I see 1M regularly here in SD, it's just a cool BMW, no one in the street gives a shit. Just like no one gives a shit about every M3 or any M out there (with maybe the I8 as the only exception)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #35
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
This thread is hilarious! This guy is describing crowd reactions to his 1M as if it were a Ferrari La Ferrari or something lol!
I see 1M regularly here in SD, it's just a cool BMW, no one in the street gives a shit. Just like no one gives a shit about every M3 or any M out there (with maybe the I8 as the only exception)
looks like you don't know him yet....after a while you start to get used to.... kind of
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #36
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Are people in here really trying to argue that the M235i is better than the 1M? I didn't know it was so easy to ignore the fact that the 1M is pretty unanimously considered one of the greatest BMWs of all time... Haven't seen a 2er in that discussion yet. Hopefully the M2 will live up to it's predecessor so I don't have to buy a Mustang or Focus.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #37
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo
Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post

My $0.02.
Only because it was low numbers. Still better than m235i.

Still was a quasi m car.
Appreciate 0