THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery ED order: production number timing

03-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
qfsk
Rep
Drives: 328xi

ED order: production number timing

I put a deposit in for 6MT 228 M Sport on February 22. My CA tells me that he placed an ED order that same week, but still has no production number or date confirmation.

How long does it normally take to get production number and delivery date confirmation after the ED order is placed?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfsk View Post
I put a deposit in for 6MT 228 M Sport on February 22. My CA tells me that he placed an ED order that same week, but still has no production number or date confirmation.

How long does it normally take to get production number and delivery date confirmation after the ED order is placed?
I got a BMW Welt delivery date confirmed within a few days of placing order. I had production number a week after placing order. You should have both by now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
qfsk
Rep

Took me 5 weeks to get production number because CA messed up order entry and had to resubmit after my numerous requests. When it was finally submitted right, it took exactly 72 hours to get the production number assigned.

Now second problem: CA claims PO cannot be done prior to VIN assignment and PoA is no longer necessary. Here is direct quote:
Power of Attorney is not accepted for European Delivery unless it is for military purposes.

We can not do the final paperwork until there is a vin number for the vehicle which will not be provided to us until the car goes into production which is scheduled for 5/21/15.
This sounds really fishy to me. What do you guys think? I did not ask about the final paperwork, only when PO/PoA will be submitted.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:

I have never heard of this before. I got my Production Number and delivery date confirmation in 3 days. You should really ask your CA about why you have not gotten it and keep digging till everything makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

If you already have a production number, you should have a confirmed delivery date. The production number means BMW has queued the build into their system, so it's gone beyond a simple order in the bank and is being processed for build.

I think I outlined my experience. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

Another thing to note is that BMW Euro deliveries for cars not coming out of dealer allocation are not tied to the dealer. So you can always get an ED build transferred to another dealer. In my opinion, try to always go with someone experienced with euro deliveries. If you can't for some reason, make sure it's someone who is going to work to learn the ropes and stay on top of things. If not, you're setting yourself up for a bad delivery.
      04-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Took me 5 weeks to get production number because CA messed up order entry and had to resubmit after my numerous requests. When it was finally submitted right, it took exactly 72 hours to get the production number assigned.

Now second problem: CA claims PO cannot be done prior to VIN assignment and PoA is no longer necessary. Here is direct quote:
Power of Attorney is not accepted for European Delivery unless it is for military purposes.

We can not do the final paperwork until there is a vin number for the vehicle which will not be provided to us until the car goes into production which is scheduled for 5/21/15.
This sounds really fishy to me. What do you guys think? I did not ask about the final paperwork, only when PO/PoA will be submitted.
I've already signed the PO/PoA for my June ED. The PoA allows BMW AG to register the car in your name and get the tourist license plates. Not sure why your CA would say that's not accepted.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm guessing they meant PoA for picking up the car. That's true. But yes, you must always sign a PoA to get registration handled.

It really sounds like you're going to have to print out all documents explaining the timeline or what needs to be done through this process and hand it to your client advisor.
      04-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
qfsk
Rep

Thanks to all who responded so far, very helpful.

I did exactly what hyperzulu suggested - sent a list of items that need to be completed by certain dates straight from ED wiki to my CA. Let's see what he has to say to that.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:

A PO needs to be completed before they will start production. My CA sent me the PO and PoA two weeks ago for my May 4 ED. A few days ago, I was informed my car was starting production and will be completed April 14. Your not going to get a VIN until car is produced and they can't do that without a PO. My CA was very particular about the PO and PoA being signed in blue ink, so BMWNA can confirm it is a legitimate order from a customer.

It sounds like the CA you are working with is not very familiar with the ED process. My CA is very experienced with doing ED's and the process has gone like clockwork exactly like most people have experienced in the forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your CA should be asking you for things like your birthdate, social security, copy of your passport which includes your signature (this has to match the signature on the PO and all other documents), driver license, insurance, drop off date and location, place of birth, profession, total days of insurance coverage required in Europe. These are entered into the PO. You then get a copy of the PO to sign. Previous poster is correct that the PO is submitted 30 days before build. You won't get a VIN before PO. VIN comes maybe a week before the car starts being built.

That being said then, you probably won't need to enter in a PO or PoA for a bit, since your pickup date is likely several weeks away still.

Hopefully your original dates were honored even if your CA doesn't know what he's doing. It took me 11 days to get my production number, but that was considered long and unusual and due to heavy volume in Jersey for ED requests.