THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Advice for a First Time BMW owner

05-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
timmyzai
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Advice for a First Time BMW owner

First off, I want to say thanks to this forum. It has been very informative thus far and it seems like the BMW community is very friendly and helpful.

I am in a debate right now and was hoping if some of you guys/gals who are more familiar with BMW's could chime in to help me with my decision.

I have always been a huge fan of the 1M ever since it was released, but relocating to Hong Kong from Canada after university as well not having enough funds for a brand new car at the time, the 1M ownership seemed rather difficult. Fast forward a few years (had a R56 Mini cooper S during this period as a first car in HK), I am finally in a position to upgrade to my next car. Obviously, I looked at a few pre-owned 1M's here in HK, but some were not in the best of conditions, while others were asking for ridiculous amounts of $ (surprisingly all of these cars still sold) . After reading the forums and educating myself with the M235I, I put down a deposit for a 6sp EB M235i with HK and Alcantara a week ago. The delivery date is expected to be in August.

Long story short, a few days ago 2 VO 1m's popped up for sale on the local car classified site. There is one that caught my eye as it only has 5800km on it. His current asking price is a little high (698,000 HKD which is about $90,000 USD compared to my M235i which comes out to 671,000HKD or $86,000 USD. Yes 100% tax on cars SUCK). My deposit for the M235i is non-refundable as well

Regardless, I will go check out the car this weekend. Assuming everything is fine, I guess my question is would you guys go with the M235I or the 1M. I have test driven the auto M235i and it definitely satisfies my needs as a car. In Hong Kong, I can only drive the car on weekends and the commute to each location is quite short anyways. No such things as track days and even long stretches of spirited driving is difficult to find. I love everything about the M235i especially the interior compared to the dated 1M's interior. The fact of owning a brand new car with warranty gives me that piece of mind as well. The 1M is out of warranty (2 years factory warranty only in Hong Kong), so I am worried that if there are problems with the car, it will get quite costly. As mentioned, I've never owned a BMW before, but coming from a S2000 (canada) and a Mini (hong kong), I would imagine going into the stearlership will cost an arm and a leg compared to what I'm used to.

Yet, to me the 1M just seems more special to own even though I have never driven one before. Test driving in HK is extremely difficulty even from the dealer, never mind a private sale. I realize this a 2 series forum so opinions maybe bias which is fine. I just need some opinions, both positive and negative. The practical adult side of me tells me to go for the brand new car, but the fun, car enthusiast side of me tells me to go for the ///M car. Please help and thanks for your replies!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

If you can only drive on weekends go for the 1M. It is an exciting car that will always be special and many are being wrecked or tracked. You can always get an M235. Also you get warranty with new car but it will sit most of the time anyways. Just drive the 1M or even listen to it cold start. Once you do that the 235 will feel somewhat soft and compromised. The steering on 1M is quick and better feedback. It's lighter, louder, stiffer and cannot be missed. I think with you driving mostly weekends are perfect for The Little Beast. There is a commercial here about a guy that dumps a young Brooklyn Decker then sees her on tv the way she looks now. If you miss the opportunity to own a 1M. You might feel like that guy once the new car smell wears off the 235i. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
timmyzai
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Thank you for your input. I never thought about the warranty being a waste especially if I can only drive the car at most two times a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If you can only drive on weekends go for the 1M. It is an exciting car that will always be special and many are being wrecked or tracked. You can always get an M235. Also you get warranty with new car but it will sit most of the time anyways. Just drive the 1M or even listen to it cold start. Once you do that the 235 will feel somewhat soft and compromised. The steering on 1M is quick and better feedback. It's lighter, louder, stiffer and cannot be missed. I think with you driving mostly weekends are perfect for The Little Beast. There is a commercial here about a guy that dumps a young Brooklyn Decker then sees her on tv the way she looks now. If you miss the opportunity to own a 1M. You might feel like that guy once the new car smell wears off the 235i. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

If it's a weekend warrior only, go for the 1M because of the rarity but only if it is indeed low miles, and in good shape mechanically and cosmetically.

Assuming it is and you keep it that way, it may even appreciate some more in value over the years.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
If it's a weekend warrior only, go for the 1M because of the rarity but only if it is indeed low miles, and in good shape mechanically and cosmetically.

Assuming it is and you keep it that way, it may even appreciate some more in value over the years.
Yes great point. If you take care of it it will also hold it's value well. All the new cars are getting softer more electronic and there will be a strong desire for a car like the 1M. It's funny because cars nowadays are getting so soft and automated that they are putting alerts to wake you up! Trust me if you are falling asleep behind the wheel of a 1M. Get medical care. You don't need a lighted coffee cup warning light. If anything you might need a soiled seat indicator if you turn off traction control.

After you compare both ask yourself which one would Steve McQueen drive? As good as the 235i is, I would bet it's the 1M.

Please watch this video, especially between 38-44 second mark. I've seen it 100 times and that burnout still gives me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvpnKRLDO4
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
if i where u i would go for the 1M, i got the m 235 i cause i use the car everyday and i have a baby girl, and i need the guaranty, i need that peace of mind, but in your case i get the 1M in a heartbeat, don´t think about it just get the M...
2013 BMW E 82 135 i Retired
2012 BMW F 20 116 i Retired
2011 BMW E 81 116 i Retired
2007 BMW E 87 116 i Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'd go 1m. Much more rare and will hold it's value better over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Please watch this video, especially between 38-44 second mark. I've seen it 100 times and that burnout still gives me goosebumps.

Love this video!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I'm not a car expert but IMHO I'd go with the M235i. First, I would never ever own a BMW w/o a new car, bumper-to-bumper warranty. If u think the cost of purchasing a BMW is high, wait until u try to repair one off warranty at a dealer. Second, no doubt the 1M has the caché of being a true M car, but performance wise they're about the same, and those god awful rabbit headlights on the 1 series are a deal breaker for me. Third, I'd much rather drive a new over a used car any day with the leatest in design and technology. U can easily get the M2 in a few years when it comes out to replace the M235i.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
leon1984
Captain
Rep
Drives: Old Mini! (M235i gone)

1M…. you will lose less money, it will make shorter and less exciting driving more of an occasion and your mileage shouldn't mean you have to worry about repairs or maintenance..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
a_newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 HS M2C, '14 EB m235i-past

I came from Hong Kong as well. I like 1M a lot, but I don't have the luck of driving one. If you sometimes need to give friends or family a ride around town, you could switch to comfort mode in m235i for better ride, while you can't do it in 1M. When you feel like having a fun drive around New Territories or roads on the hilly Hong Kong island, you could switch to the sport or sport+ mode (even though, it might not be as fun as driving a 1M, I would think it would be a good compromise). This is just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
I'm not a car expert but IMHO I'd go with the M235i. First, I would never ever own a BMW w/o a new car, bumper-to-bumper warranty. If u think the cost of purchasing a BMW is high, wait until u try to repair one off warranty at a dealer. Second, no doubt the 1M has the caché of being a true M car, but performance wise they're about the same, and those god awful rabbit headlights on the 1 series are a deal breaker for me. Third, I'd much rather drive a new over a used car any day with the leatest in design and technology. U can easily get the M2 in a few years when it comes out to replace the M235i.
The 1M is not about Cache, actually the snobs to this day put down the 1M because the M3, M5, etc have bespoke engines, etc. Yes, the headlights are weird but the 235i taillights are awful too.

As far as new technology goes, it brings very little to the table. Digitized sound over real exhaust sound. It still sounds weak.

Electric steering, ok newer technology but it's not as quick as the 1M rack and less feedback.

No more analog temp gauge, OK you can dig around for a tiny digital oil temp display while you stare at an M235i badge. OK, new technology noted.

Now lets look at the 1M. Aluminum subframe, shock housings, aluminum this and that..... some would say that is newer technology than steel housings and suspension bits in the 235i.

Full lock differential..... some might say, newer technology than open diff.

Composite, floating cross drilled disks... again some would say newer tech then solid disks.

369 foot lb overboost function.... a first in M cars and as far as I know not part of 235i.

So I guess the original poster needs to weigh whether he want's fluffy technology or functional "core" technology. He also needs to consider whether he is buying if for his personal thrill or his friends' comfort.

As far as friends go, I can tell you with certainty that my friends enjoyed going our for ride in the 1M a lot and never, ever complained about it being stiff or loud. They had big grins on.

Luckily, he can't go wrong with either, they both have their plusses and minuses, it's just a matter of what makes one happy, but he can always get a 235i or M2 down the road. 1Ms are being modified, wrecked, tracked and he might miss an opportunity to get one of the coolest BMWs in many years. It would be especially sad in the OP's case because he is a perfect case for the 1M where he mostly drives it for pleasure on weekends.

Last edited by nachob; 05-23-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Wait for the M2 and that will be win win

The 1M is a special car...more of a track beast that only a mother could love (butterface with a hot body)

The M235i is a great fun car for everyday driving. A pocket rocket with a sexy face but not much ass

So which one would you rather bang?!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Wait for the M2 and that will be win win

The 1M is a special car...more of a track beast that only a mother could love (butterface with a hot body)

The M235i is a great fun car for everyday driving. A pocket rocket with a sexy face but not much ass

So which one would you rather bang?!

I loved this!

Actually the 1M will bang you if you
Are not careful, especially with traction control off.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Major006
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Like you, I am a Canadian and have relocated to HK some years ago. I ordered the m235i back in late Feb but my car is only due for delivery in July.

Unless you do not care for the deposit, which is not a small sum, you should stick with the m235i. There is no point handing over Hk$60k to BMW Hk for free!

Although I love the 1M, I think you can get the m235i now, and upgrade to the m2 in a few years. I think the m2 should be about Hk$900k tops when it comes out, which should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
timmyzai
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks for the awesome video. That just made my decision even more difficult

Quote:
Yes great point. If you take care of it it will also hold it's value well. All the new cars are getting softer more electronic and there will be a strong desire for a car like the 1M. It's funny because cars nowadays are getting so soft and automated that they are putting alerts to wake you up! Trust me if you are falling asleep behind the wheel of a 1M. Get medical care. You don't need a lighted coffee cup warning light. If anything you might need a soiled seat indicator if you turn off traction control.

After you compare both ask yourself which one would Steve McQueen drive? As good as the 235i is, I would bet it's the 1M.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
timmyzai
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep

Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciated as you guys brought up many points that I overlooked regarding the 2 cars. I will check out the 1M this weekend and see how much the seller is willing to neg. If I can work out the numbers and can justify losing my deposit, i'll make a decision then. If not, August cannot come soon enough

Sorry to go a bit off topic ( 2addicts really needs a regional ASIA section ) but For those of you living in HK, regarding the resale value, does it get affected significantly if the car has a "0" owner compared to a "1" owner on the car documentation? For those not living in Hong Kong, this may seem weird but HK has this strange system determining the owner. If the Car is bought brand new from dealer, the first owner is considered the "0" owner..

The 1M I am considering already has a "1" meaning the current owner is already the 2nd owner of the car, and if i were to purchase it I would be "2" essentially meaning the car is 3rd hand. If i were to resell it, do you think this would be a deal breaker because as many of you pointed out, one of the strong reasons to go for the 1M is the strong resale value..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 02:12 AM   #18
Major006
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Unless you keep the 1m for over 10 years while driving her very little, keeping it sort of like a collectible, I don't think resale value (at least in hk) will go up in the short term.

I do not think the 1m having the "1" already in the registration document is a problem because I think this is reflected in the price already. I have seen a 1m with similar mileage awhile ago being a "0" owner and the asking price for that was hk$810,000.
Appreciate 0