THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos highway/winter proofing my bmw

10-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

highway/winter proofing my bmw

Here's my 2016 228i in alpine white I ordered it back in March and it was divided in April I'm very happy with it so far but now I find myself driving alot more for work. does ideas anyone have any ideas on how to "highway proofing my car" I live in the Chicago area[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Have you considered a clear bra for the front end?
Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      10-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Winter tires are a must.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh
Have you considered a clear bra for the front end?
I tried but it didn't really come out to well
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Keep your following distance as open as possible so you don't get sand blasted and plenty of room to navigate around pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillz17 View Post
I tried but it didn't really come out to well
Have it done professionally

Its a lot less expensive than having the front of a hood/bumper repainted
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

That's the thing I'm having a hard time finding a place near me. I've found a couple places but I'm not trying to pay $1200-2500 for just getting my bumper and hood covered
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Call IND they are local I am SURE they could recommend a shop. DIY is just a bad idea with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh ok I'll look them up thank ... everyone has been so helpful thanks everyone Keep them coming if you guys have any other tips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Clear bra is the answer. It's not cheap, but it sure is cheaper than getting a repaint
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 01:49 AM   #11
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillz17 View Post
That's the thing I'm having a hard time finding a place near me. I've found a couple places but I'm not trying to pay $1200-2500 for just getting my bumper and hood covered
This will be cheaper than repainting/repairing any rock chips. You pay for quality, I don't regret mine at all. You can barely tell its there and it's self healing film. It has saved my hood countless times on the autobahn.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Following stuff could be done to make winters easier but it costs money so be prepared to pay. And invest time in the car. I did this with my BMW 120d from 2013 until i got the M235i 2015 witch i just let it sit in the garage during the winter and bought an "crap" car during winter times. And drove around.

$$$$ A small scale in terms of how expensive or cheap it is to do of the following below witch i have written.

$ = Cheap
$$ = Not to expensive
$$$ = Expensive
$$$$ = Got damn it i hate cars, Expensive.

1-$$$-Ceramic coating so dirt won't stick as easy and is easier to clean during winter times.
2-$$$$-Protection film across the front and side around wheel arches where stone chips is not easy to repair. Like Xpel or such.
3-$$$-Good winter tires if you want to avoid damage go without spikes for your own sake and others behind you. (there is nothing worse then being behind a car and som cheap a* who has bought some cheap china tires with spikes witch just falls of his/hers tires and bombards your car with metal spikes from their tires, Because they don't care about cars at all.)

4-$-Keep your distance to other cars especially on the highway.
4.1-$-Try taking roads that maybe be a bit longer but has more snow on them then just bare asphalt to work, Cause driving on simply snow is so much better then driving on roads that are salted like crazy, This trick is fantastic during winter times not only is it better for the car, But the car keeps it self cleaner for much longer.
5-$$-Try to wash your car at least once a week. Not a full wash but to wash of dirt and salts. ( I have the fortune to have a garage in witch i can wash my car everyday after driving during winter. Wash as in just wash of dirt that is loose, but do a proper wash every 2nd week.)

!!!Most Important!!! Wash the underside of your car that is the part witch is most exposed during the winter times because all of the salt that can get in to small hidden spots and cause corrosion from within.

6-$-Try to bring a few water filled bottles with you in the car witch is filled with warm water so you can just pour on the front, side and back of the car after a drive to work or so the dirt wont stick to much. (This one is easier said then done, Its a commitment that demands a bit of you)

7-$$$-Try to keep a heater in the car or if it is build in to the car use the engine heater, This saves the engine life a lot during the winter cause the engine block won't cool to that point where it is dangerous to heat it up to fast when starting the car in the morning and driving off.
8-$$-Avoid using those scrapes and such on the windows (The risk of damage on the windshield is very high) better use a defrost spray or pour washer liquid across it the ice will melt instantly and won't be to dangerous like when filling a water bottle with warm water and pour it across the window witch can cause it to shatter even if it is a rare thing these days on new cars.

9-$-Best advice is if you have a Garage keep your car in the garage this saves the car from a lot of trouble during winter time even if the garage only has a temperature between 4-5 C it is still better then having it outside. This also goes in summer times the winters may take its toll on the paint job, But the sun does it part to, especially if you have a paint job like red,blue, yellow so called bright colors the sun will cause it to look bleached and washed out over time. So keeping a car in the garage is great both during winter & summer.

10-$$$$-If all steps above are a bit to much work during winter to keep your car clean and neat, Then store it away during winter times, Place it on a pair of cheap winter tires, and keep it there and no you don't need to charge the car it is not a car from 1980s the battery won't drain it self. And buy your self an older car witch you can just run thru a automatic car wash that should be enough to keep it alive.

Last edited by Nahlem; 10-25-2016 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
Pillz1737.50
      10-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looking good!
Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      10-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Looks good! I live close to the Willis Tower. Just got my hands on some winter tires for my 235. Luckily I don't drive to work often and I have indoor parking, but weekly/biweekly washing to keep the salt away is a good bet.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #15
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

Call Ross from Midwest Autoban

he did my M240 a few weeks ago with great results! and is MOBILE 312-325-3903
they only use xpel
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #16
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M
Following stuff could be done to make winters easier but it costs money so be prepared to pay. And invest time in the car. I did this with my BMW 120d from 2013 until i got the M235i 2015 witch i just let it sit in the garage during the winter and bought an "crap" car during winter times. And drove around.

$$$$ A small scale in terms of how expensive or cheap it is to do of the following below witch i have written.

$ = Cheap
$$ = Not to expensive
$$$ = Expensive
$$$$ = Got damn it i hate cars, Expensive.

1-$$$-Ceramic coating so dirt won't stick as easy and is easier to clean during winter times.
2-$$$$-Protection film across the front and side around wheel arches where stone chips is not easy to repair. Like Xpel or such.
3-$$$-Good winter tires if you want to avoid damage go without spikes for your own sake and others behind you. (there is nothing worse then being behind a car and som cheap a* who has bought some cheap china tires with spikes witch just falls of his/hers tires and bombards your car with metal spikes from their tires, Because they don't care about cars at all.)

4-$-Keep your distance to other cars especially on the highway.
4.1-$-Try taking roads that maybe be a bit longer but has more snow on them then just bare asphalt to work, Cause driving on simply snow is so much better then driving on roads that are salted like crazy, This trick is fantastic during winter times not only is it better for the car, But the car keeps it self cleaner for much longer.
5-$$-Try to wash your car at least once a week. Not a full wash but to wash of dirt and salts. ( I have the fortune to have a garage in witch i can wash my car everyday after driving during winter. Wash as in just wash of dirt that is loose, but do a proper wash every 2nd week.)

!!!Most Important!!! Wash the underside of your car that is the part witch is most exposed during the winter times because all of the salt that can get in to small hidden spots and cause corrosion from within.

6-$-Try to bring a few water filled bottles with you in the car witch is filled with warm water so you can just pour on the front, side and back of the car after a drive to work or so the dirt wont stick to much. (This one is easier said then done, Its a commitment that demands a bit of you)

7-$$$-Try to keep a heater in the car or if it is build in to the car use the engine heater, This saves the engine life a lot during the winter cause the engine block won't cool to that point where it is dangerous to heat it up to fast when starting the car in the morning and driving off.
8-$$-Avoid using those scrapes and such on the windows (The risk of damage on the windshield is very high) better use a defrost spray or pour washer liquid across it the ice will melt instantly and won't be to dangerous like when filling a water bottle with warm water and pour it across the window witch can cause it to shatter even if it is a rare thing these days on new cars.

9-$-Best advice is if you have a Garage keep your car in the garage this saves the car from a lot of trouble during winter time even if the garage only has a temperature between 4-5 C it is still better then having it outside. This also goes in summer times the winters may take its toll on the paint job, But the sun does it part to, especially if you have a paint job like red,blue, yellow so called bright colors the sun will cause it to look bleached and washed out over time. So keeping a car in the garage is great both during winter & summer.

10-$$$$-If all steps above are a bit to much work during winter to keep your car clean and neat, Then store it away during winter times, Place it on a pair of cheap winter tires, and keep it there and no you don't need to charge the car it is not a car from 1980s the battery won't drain it self. And buy your self an older car witch you can just run thru a automatic car wash that should be enough to keep it alive.
wow thanks this is very detailed
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Thnaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306

they only use xpel
I'll give him a call
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306

they only use xpel
could you show me/ send me some of his work thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #19
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Random, but how's your experience driving in the city without the front license plate? Any issues aside from ticket maids when parked?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #20
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just as a reminder: wi-wi-wi-winter tir-r-r-r-r-res.

AWD only helps you go in the snow, not stop or turn really.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #21
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato
Just as a reminder: wi-wi-wi-winter tir-r-r-r-r-res.

AWD only helps you go in the snow, not stop or turn really.
you justed dropped knowledge on me thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

city driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea
Random, but how's your experience driving in the city without the front license plate? Any issues aside from ticket maids when parked?
I haven't had an issue yet but I try to park in the parking garages as much as possible also my job has me going back and forth between my office in the city and my "home" office in Naperville so yeah nothing yet
Appreciate 1