THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best way to get rid of a lease?

03-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Best way to get rid of a lease?

Hi guys. I'm trying to find someone to take over the lease of my 2017 230i (see classified section).

I wanted to get some thoughts on the best way to do this based on your experience. Will I have better luck on Swapalease.com, etc than the classified section here? The current buyout is too high, so selling or trading it is out of the question. Just wanted to see what people thought was the best way to have someone take over a lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Post it wherever you can: classifieds here, swapalease, Craigslist, etc. more avenues gives better visibility. Worst case scenario, total it and take the insurance hit (kidding)
Appreciate 1
hz101171.00
      03-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Post it wherever you can: classifieds here, swapalease, Craigslist, etc. more avenues gives better visibility. Worst case scenario, total it and take the insurance hit (kidding)
haha. I just didn't know lease trading websites charged so much money. I wonder if it is worth posting there at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Before I bought my car, I was considering all possibilities, including taking over a lease.

What I could never figure out was why people wanting out of their leases weren't offering more in the way of incentives. Sure, some lessees were offering incentives, and on rare occasions substantial ones, but typically they just wanted someone to step in and take over their problem. I didn't get it, and maybe that's down to my not getting something about leasing and/or taking over a lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Before I bought my car, I was considering all possibilities, including taking over a lease.

What I could never figure out was why people wanting out of their leases weren't offering more in the way of incentives. Sure, some lessees were offering incentives, and on rare occasions substantial ones, but typically they just wanted someone to step in and take over their problem. I didn't get it, and maybe that's down to my not getting something about leasing and/or taking over a lease.
Can't speak for everyone but in my case I think the payment is pretty good as compared to the market. I negotiated a great deal on this car. I also put down some money (aside from taxes) that helped lower the payment. My car also has a dinan stage 1 tune (covered by warranty) that makes the car more fun while retaining the peace of mind. I don't believe I need to offer any more incentives at this point.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00
      03-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

Funny, I've notice the same thing; some lessors wanted you to give them back their downpayment or cash back for some cookie-cutter BMW leases, when you're the one who's suppose to be convinced, since you're transferring their burden on to yourself.

If I personally wanted to off load a leased vehicle, I would offer to take up the new lessor first two payments or throw in something like new wheels or car mats for good measure.

The same method works with eBay, I offer incentives on my used stuff and they sell much quicker. People just love getting free ish.. It's human nature, use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #7
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Funny, I've notice the same thing; some lessors wanted you to give them back their downpayment or cash back for some cookie-cutter BMW leases, when you're the one who's suppose to be convinced, since you're transferring their burden on to yourself.

If I personally wanted to off load a leased vehicle, I would offer to take up the new lessor first two payments or throw in something like new wheels or car mats for good measure.

The same method works with eBay, I offer incentives on my used stuff and they sell much quicker. People just love getting free ish.. It's human nature, use it.
Each lease is different. The supply/demand of your car comes into play. If a higher down payment is made to lower the payment, that's an incentive itself. I've seen M3 leases with payments of $600. If a lease like that was offered for takeover, would you expect to be offered an incentive as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Each lease is different. The supply/demand of your car comes into play. If a higher down payment is made to lower the payment, that's an incentive itself. I've seen M3 leases with payments of $600. If a lease like that was offered for takeover, would you expect to be offered an incentive as well?
Each situation and vehicle is unique, so it depends on the vehicle and circumstances for one to determine if it's works reasonable in their favor.

Yes, an M3 for $600 a month does sound nice, if it checks out and doesn't have anything wrong with it that might burn you in the end.

All I was saying is the concept of a lease takeover sounds appealing but in practice, the deals are not all that great IMO for the responsible you're inherit.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There are all kinds of lease deals out there. Some are better than the others. You just have to see what works best for you. But you can't expect an incentive to be offered every time a lease is offered for takeover.
Appreciate 0