THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Cylinder Misfires

04-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 Xdrive

Cylinder Misfires

Ok so I was driving and all of a sudden car started shaking. Drivetrain malfunction and it wouldn't move. I read codes and I have 4 cylinders that misfired. Change spark plugs and ignition coils and still doing the same thing. What could possibly be? I have fabspeed sport cat downpipe. MPE. Wagner evo 2 competition intercooler. Dinan cold air intake. Er charge pipes. And AA Flash tune stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Are any wires from tune making contact with fuel rails on top of hood? I’ve had the exact issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questofthetune View Post
Are any wires from tune making contact with fuel rails on top of hood? I’ve had the exact issue.
Where would that be?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Masterongear
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i Black Saph Metalic

I have almost the exact same set up (AA stage 2+ custom) that you do and had the same problem, which has now been fixed. Changed spark plugs at an indy shop to NGK 97506 but the idiots did not gap them at all (so .031), so 3k miles later horrible shaking and misfires and 4 cylinders. I just did the tune up myself, went back to NGK OE gapped to .020, replaced all coils to Bosch and used the dielectric grease inside the boot, and made sure to torque the plugs correctly. After I replaced everything I noticed a power drop so I got the car smoke and soap tested for boost leaks and everything was solid with no leaks at all. Mechanic reset all my adaptations and called me to ask wth tune do I have because this is the 2nd fastest car he has ever driven, but I said I'll believe it when I drive it. Picked up the car, fresh oil, added liquid moly cera tec and Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment and the car is pulling as hard and smoother than ever. Turning Traction control off completely really brings this car to life, I love it. I hope this helps you.

Try checking all of your connections to the coils and make sure they are snug. Ensure coils were not the Chinese Delphi knock-offs, if the price is really low the quality will be also, and I'd bet this may be the culprit if everything else I mentioned is spot on. Pm me and I can help you out if you need.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Guitarman15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterongear View Post
I have almost the exact same set up (AA stage 2+ custom) that you do and had the same problem, which has now been fixed. Changed spark plugs at an indy shop to NGK 97506 but the idiots did not gap them at all (so .031), so 3k miles later horrible shaking and misfires and 4 cylinders. I just did the tune up myself, went back to NGK OE gapped to .020, replaced all coils to Bosch and used the dielectric grease inside the boot, and made sure to torque the plugs correctly. After I replaced everything I noticed a power drop so I got the car smoke and soap tested for boost leaks and everything was solid with no leaks at all. Mechanic reset all my adaptations and called me to ask wth tune do I have because this is the 2nd fastest car he has ever driven, but I said I'll believe it when I drive it. Picked up the car, fresh oil, added liquid moly cera tec and Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment and the car is pulling as hard and smoother than ever. Turning Traction control off completely really brings this car to life, I love it. I hope this helps you.

Try checking all of your connections to the coils and make sure they are snug. Ensure coils were not the Chinese Delphi knock-offs, if the price is really low the quality will be also, and I'd bet this may be the culprit if everything else I mentioned is spot on. Pm me and I can help you out if you need.
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0