THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Special Order Arriving but Can't Buy Now - Any Takers

02-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Yeah that makes life easy. Those relo packages are nice but they can get a little crazy for the big boys. A few jobs ago we bought a company and paid to move their CEO cross country - with his cars, art and wine collections. We could have bought him one of every car BMW makes for less money than moving all his shit.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Thats just what my dealer in IL told me. The SA said the deposit was non-refundable but then pulled me aside saying that they actually couldn't do that.
Each state has different law.... If you sign the document saying deposit is not refundable, it means its not refundable. Whats the point of the deposit if you can always get your money back and screw the dealer ?

If there is such a law in your state, its just bullshit from retail point of view.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Thats just what my dealer in IL told me. The SA said the deposit was non-refundable but then pulled me aside saying that they actually couldn't do that.
Each state has different law.... If you sign the document saying deposit is not refundable, it means its not refundable. Whats the point of the deposit if you can always get your money back and screw the dealer ?

If there is such a law in your state, its just bullshit from retail point of view.
You're very rarely actually "screwing the dealer" it's not like it's a $10k custom suit that a tailor makes for you that is worthless to anyone else then never gets paid for. In the case of the car yeah they may have to spend a bit of time selling it and have costs associated with carrying it but it's not like OP ordered some disgusting color combo or something that they'll never be able to sell.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You're very rarely actually "screwing the dealer" it's not like it's a $10k custom suit that a tailor makes for you that is worthless to anyone else then never gets paid for. In the case of the car yeah they may have to spend a bit of time selling it and have costs associated with carrying it but it's not like OP ordered some disgusting color combo or something that they'll never be able to sell.
I used to have a dealership. You always screw the dealer. Once we took a deposit down, all other customers who were interested in a car get turned down because there is a deposit in place.

It's the same as if customer gives u a deposit and dealer sells the car to someone else instead. I don't think anyone would be happy with this business practice

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 02-23-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #27
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
You always screw the dealer. Once we took a deposit down, all other customers who were interested in a car get turned down because there is a deposit in place.
Then once a deal falls through, you move the vehicle right on down to the next person. It is a minor inconvenience at most.

It is next to impossible to hose a dealer by ordering a particular car then not taking delivery. This is not the 70's- 80's where people could order a pink or lime green Caddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #28
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
Then once a deal falls through, you move the vehicle right on down to the next person. It is a minor inconvenience at most.

It is next to impossible to hose a dealer by ordering a particular car then not taking delivery. This is not the 70's- 80's where people could order a pink or lime green Caddy.
New car and big dealer maybe, used car and small dealer no. But you can't have different rules for different dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post

New car and big dealer maybe, used car and small dealer no. But you can't have different rules for different dealers.
Who exactly is putting down a deposit on a special order used car at a tiny dealership? That's not even remotely the same thing OP is discussing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #30
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Who exactly is putting down a deposit on a special order used car at a tiny dealership? That's not even remotely the same thing OP is discussing.
You are putting down a deposit for a car. That's about it.....The are no rules for special orders, big or tiny dealerships, for BMWs or Audi's etc...It's all just one simple rule..... obviously
Appreciate 0