THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New owner - resident physician

02-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #23
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340xi Msport

Congratulations, you've definitely earned it! Awesome find and color combo. Hopefully you get some nice Canon runs or PCH cruises on your limited free time.
      02-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
sekirain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Congrats Doc!! That's a certain step up from the Prius and 120 hour weeks..

Please enjoy it as much as I do...
you have no idea how fast the car felt going from a prius...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekirain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Congrats Doc!! That's a certain step up from the Prius and 120 hour weeks..

Please enjoy it as much as I do...
you have no idea how fast the car felt going from a prius...
If you start missing the Prius put it in eco mode. Slow as hell.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #26
sekirain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
Do enjoy the new ride. I wasn't able to pull the trigger until I turned 56, so you are ahead of the game.

I know a lot of doctors in my small town. I rely on a few for certain things, and I marvel at how they are still practicing.

Don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they still do. Though, I suspect that this era is quickly drawing to a close.

I was a career high-school teacher. IMO, so many people in the medical profession have a tougher road than I did.

So, cheers!
Yes I agree. It is definitely a different time. And a weird one too. Healthcare is up in the air, medical school loans are sky high, cost of living (which adds to the loan) is high, and the interest rate is high too. A doctor ten years before me, had ~50k in loans over 4 years, with an interest rate of almost nothing. Mine is 4x that and the interest rate is crappy too. Im just escaping reality with the car haha.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekirain
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
Do enjoy the new ride. I wasn't able to pull the trigger until I turned 56, so you are ahead of the game.

I know a lot of doctors in my small town. I rely on a few for certain things, and I marvel at how they are still practicing.

Don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they still do. Though, I suspect that this era is quickly drawing to a close.

I was a career high-school teacher. IMO, so many people in the medical profession have a tougher road than I did.

So, cheers!
Yes I agree. It is definitely a different time. And a weird one too. Healthcare is up in the air, medical school loans are sky high, cost of living (which adds to the loan) is high, and the interest rate is high too. A doctor ten years before me, had ~50k in loans over 4 years, with an interest rate of almost nothing. Mine is 4x that and the interest rate is crappy too. Im just escaping reality with the car haha.
This will make you feel awesome. My father's last semester in med school was $2500.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #28
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Congrats, OP!

Just turned the dial at 30 last year, and it was kind of the same thing for me. Took a dive, said to myself "it's time", before the wedding/kids starting becoming the topics of discussion, lol. It's kind of a selfish way of preparing myself for the future I suppose, but I grew up with very little, and always told myself "I won't be that dad who had to sell his baby (car), to make room for a minivan". Now that I'm able to, I took full advantage of getting out of a VW, and into an ideal BMW coupe, with tons of capability. I'll have two baby seats in the back of this thing, no sweat!

Have fun with it, it's a really good car for what you paid, and you'd be hard pressed to find much else out there with the value/performance of the M235i. Cheers,

D
No need to feel "guilt" when enjoying yourself. You get one life, enjoy it to the fullest extent .
Don't feel the feel the need to sacrifice your life for the sake of human species(marriage/procreation).

YouTube search MGTOW and enlighten yourself.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
...medical school loans are sky high, cost of living (which adds to the loan) is high, and the interest rate is high too. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
This will make you feel awesome. My father's last semester in med school was $2500.
Well, if you ask my son, he will tell you his out of pocket for medical school was zero for all four years. Did I start to spoil him too much at this stage of life or spare him the years of burden which he didn't need to experience? Anyway, given his cash flow now a couple of years into practice, he is enjoying his Cayman on sunny days...and he lets me drive it.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #30
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
...medical school loans are sky high, cost of living (which adds to the loan) is high, and the interest rate is high too. ...
Quote:
Well, if you ask my son, he will tell you his out of pocket for medical school was zero for all four years. Did I start to spoil him too much at this stage of life or spare him the years of burden which he didn't need to experience? Anyway, given his cash flow now a couple of years into practice, he is enjoying his Cayman on sunny days...and he lets me drive it.
Same thing my parents did for me. They came from VERY modest beginnings and the deal for me was school is good go as much as you want (within reason) and we will get you through debt free, then you're on your own.

Granted there was an implicit understanding that I would not take 10 years to finish undergrad, major in ancient Incan pottery or some other nonsense, and only one advanced degree if I wanted to go that route. They paid for my BS from Wharton but were not going to finance a BS in BS.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #31
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
Congrats. Nice car . Am I the only one thinking "door dings" as I look at those pics of the cars parked so closely?
I have gotten door dings from farther away then that. People today don't give a shit. I got a real nasty one driving to Florida this week in my X3 on the front fender near the headlight and I have no idea where. I park away from other cars but these assholes always find a way to whack it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #32
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
Congrats. Nice car . Am I the only one thinking "door dings" as I look at those pics of the cars parked so closely?
I have gotten door dings from farther away then that. People today don't give a shit. I got a real nasty one driving to Florida this week in my X3 on the front fender near the headlight and I have no idea where. I park away from other cars but these assholes always find a way to whack it.
Another thing to watch if you ever valet, tell them to be careful with your doors. They're very long compared to a sedan. If you don't remind them you'll get chips on the edge of your door in no time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Another thing to watch if you ever valet, tell them to be careful with your doors. They're very long compared to a sedan. If you don't remind them you'll get chips on the edge of your door in no time.
I am heartened by your faith that a spoken reminder will have any effect! I never valet, never (unless traveling with a rental!) including recognizing how many kids with that job have no idea what the third pedal is for.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Quote:
I am heartened by your faith that a spoken reminder will have any effect! I never valet, never (unless traveling with a rental!) including recognizing how many kids with that job have no idea what the third pedal is for.
Ha sometimes it's unavoidable. And I only ever valet at my brother's club so there's actually some accountability if something goes wrong.

That's said GF and her car exist so mine never leaves the house when parking will be questionable!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #35
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the first tunnel into the even bigger and longer tunnel. Enjoy your M235i. As others have mentioned, it will be a while before you can start buying the toys. I thought the same thing going into chiropractic school, but then the reality of setting up a practice, buying a house, paying student loans (nothing compared to today), having kids, saving for retirement, buying a newer bigger house, putting kids through college, paying for a wedding, etc., etc. all set in. Now at age 55, I have my new BMW and I love and appreciate it. Makes the drive home from work each day very satisfying.
Skip the kids and the big house, and you can have multiple BMWs a lot sooner! though I did trade my M235i down to a GTI Sport in part because I bought a 2nd home (but both are small)...

But ultimately, it does take patience to get to the point in life where you can comfortably afford new BMWs. Unless you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth, or win the lottery at an early age. We working stiffs have to climb the career ladder first.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0