THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum WRX to M235i?

02-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
sectachrome
Rep
Drives: 13' WRX

WRX to M235i?

I'm thinking of buying a used M235i, and currently drive a 2013 WRX hatch. I'm curious to hear any previous WRX or STi owners thoughts on the switch. I have done a short test drive in a manual M235i but it was on snow tires and I didn't really get a feel for the handling at all.

My car has upgraded sway bars and a "stage 1" pro tune, but is otherwise stock. To be honest, it's a great car. It does everything - extremely practical and plenty of power for me. However, I'm thinking of making a change for a few reasons.

As great as I think the car is, I just don't love it. I'd like something a little more grown up and good looking in the classic sense rather than the econobox on steroids sense. I would really like a nicer quality, better looking interior. Lastly, coming from small RWD sports cars (FC RX-7, NA Miata) before the WRX, I miss that feeling and being able to step the back end out a little. The WRX is kind of too good, there's not much involvement or drama in the handling department - just floor it everywhere. It's incredibly good in the snow for example, but at the same time disappointing and boring because it's really difficult to get the car loose at all. I've never quite got along with the transmission in that car either. I would like something that has more of a classic sports car feel again.

I do have a few reservations about the 2 though. I'm a little weary about the grass not being greener. First is that I just don't really NEED it at all. My WRX only has 22k miles on it and I work from home so I don't actually spend much time in the car. I also would obviously giving up quite a bit of practicality losing the hatch and 2 doors. I'm not hugely concerned with this though as long as my 50lb dog can get in the back. Being able to carry big things and extra passengers has been nice when I needed it, but it happens very seldom. I just don't want to be disappointed in the performance of the M235i. The power will certainly be adequate and I love the looks and interior, but will it give me the fun and feel that I'm missing in the WRX?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Larry7995
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

I went from a 2013 WRX hatch to my M235i xDrive. I found it to be quicker, no rattles, the stereo is much better, and the phone does not have pairing issues that the WRX did. You might want to try a Focus RS.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Had a chance to drive a '15 STI for a couple of weeks back-to-back while in between cars, and without a doubt you'll enjoy the luxury, ride quality, and engine sound immediately from coming out of a WRX. Also, the manual trans in the BMW is much better than the STI and the pedal configuration allows for easy throttle blips. Subaru's typically feel "heavy" in the front (IMO), and the 2 series feels very much the opposite.

I'd say the biggest and only draw back is two doors, but if single, no kids, f'it and go for it!
      02-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
sectachrome
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry7995 View Post
I went from a 2013 WRX hatch to my M235i xDrive. I found it to be quicker, no rattles, the stereo is much better, and the phone does not have pairing issues that the WRX did. You might want to try a Focus RS.
I'm sure the Focus is a great drive, but to me it's in the same vein as the WRX in terms of looks and vibe. I've always like BMW's too and it's exciting to think I could actually own one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Had a chance to drive a '15 STI for a couple of weeks back-to-back while in between cars, and without a doubt you'll enjoy the luxury, ride quality, and engine sound immediately from coming out of a WRX. Also, the manual trans in the BMW is much better than the STI and the pedal configuration allows for easy throttle blips. Subaru's typically feel "heavy" in the front (IMO), and the 2 series feels very much the opposite.

I'd say the biggest and only draw back is two doors, but if single, no kids, f'it and go for it!
Agree on the heavy feeling in the front. When cornering fast you really feel the weight way up there and it doesn't feel that confidence inspiring. I could see myself going back to a similar hot hatch in the future if I needed to, but right now I don't really need the 4 doors and hatch even though theyre handy. I was so tired of the extreme impracticality of the Miata I kind of went to the opposite extreme with the WRX. A coupe with useable back seats that fold down seems like it could be a good middle ground.

Appreciate the feedback!
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

I used to own a wrx sedan and a wagon. The subbie interior makes the 2er feel like a rolls Royce. The first time my mom rode in my subbie she commented that closing the doors felt like a corolla. The m235i is definitely faster than the wrx that had a DP and a cobb tune. There's less drama in the acceleration though, since the wrx feels more like a traditional turbo car where boost hits above 3.5k rpm and the m235i starts hitting boost at 1800 rpm.
      02-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectachrome View Post
I'm sure the Focus is a great drive, but to me it's in the same vein as the WRX in terms of looks and vibe. I've always like BMW's too and it's exciting to think I could actually own one now.

Agree on the heavy feeling in the front. When cornering fast you really feel the weight way up there and it doesn't feel that confidence inspiring. I could see myself going back to a similar hot hatch in the future if I needed to, but right now I don't really need the 4 doors and hatch even though theyre handy. I was so tired of the extreme impracticality of the Miata I kind of went to the opposite extreme with the WRX. A coupe with useable back seats that fold down seems like it could be a good middle ground.

Appreciate the feedback!

That "heavy feeling in the front" and the polar moment of inertia up there might be what makes the wrx King in the snow and wet ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
sectachrome
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
I used to own a wrx sedan and a wagon. The subbie interior makes the 2er feel like a rolls Royce. The first time my mom rode in my subbie she commented that closing the doors felt like a corolla. The m235i is definitely faster than the wrx that had a DP and a cobb tune. There's less drama in the acceleration though, since the wrx feels more like a traditional turbo car where boost hits above 3.5k rpm and the m235i starts hitting boost at 1800 rpm.
The difference in the interior was apparent as soon as I got in the car. I find the WRX seats really uncomfortable and the 2er seat felt amazing. Steering wheel is great too.

I did really like how smooth the engine and power delivery was when I test drove. The WRX's delivery can be both entertaining and annoying. I can't stand when I need to pull out into traffic before the engine is warmed up and it can barely get moving without getting above 3k, or in slow speed 2nd gear corners when you want to power out and you just get nothing. I think I'd much prefer the M235i engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Pigeon
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Coupe

No ones really covered the essential part of OP's post: making sure the dog is happy. My 60 lb husky/shepherd mix isn't necessarily a fan. In the backseat, I have the BMW hammock seat cover and that works fine and he only has minor trouble hopping onto that thing. However, he has minimal window access back there (the rear windows obviously don't roll down) and when he sits in the passenger seat, he sets off the airbag/seatbelt sensor.

While he may not enjoy our rides as much, his opinion wasn't much of a factor for me. Best of luck with this tough decision!
harma24402.50
      02-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
sectachrome
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
No ones really covered the essential part of OP's post: making sure the dog is happy. My 60 lb husky/shepherd mix isn't necessarily a fan. In the backseat, I have the BMW hammock seat cover and that works fine and he only has minor trouble hopping onto that thing. However, he has minimal window access back there (the rear windows obviously don't roll down) and when he sits in the passenger seat, he sets off the airbag/seatbelt sensor.

While he may not enjoy our rides as much, his opinion wasn't much of a factor for me. Best of luck with this tough decision!
Thanks for the doggo input! I haven't seen much info on the dogability of the 2 series. She just needs to be able to hop in there for occasional short trips, 30 mins at the most. I have one of those hammock covers for the WRX backseat and she is fine there. At least the dog hair will be easier to clean out with leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Larry7995
Private
Rep

my dogs are german shepherds and they ride in the crate in the back of the Colorado, BMW is verboten!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
MBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I came from a 13 wrx hatch with 44,000 miles and this car is an absolute blast to drive. The interior is a lot nicer and there is quite bit of room. I have a corgi so can't compare to your large dog. I have taken a road trip with fiancée, luggage, and the dog which there was plenty of space. I think you'll enjoy the upgrade to a more grown up car.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #12
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Current DD is a '11 STI sedan. Next DD is a M240i xdrive making it's way across the Atlantic.

My requirements for a new vehicle were:
1. faster
2. more comfortable for long drives incl commutes
3. more efficient
4. AWD (preferred, not really a "must-have")

I also wanted something a bit of an adult's car. I considered dropping the need for 4 doors, and the family was sold after test-driving an M235i with wife and kid (incl booster seat).

In terms of the OP dilemma:
I was sold on the F22 as an upgrade from an STI (no power mods), but wanted the B58 and other incremental refinements that come with the most recent model year.

There might be a noticeable practicality gap between your WRX hatch vs F22 coupe, but it was small enough between sedan and coupe to be an acceptable trade off. I didn't want the bloat of a 3- or 4-series, and opted for the more adaptable nature of the M240i vs the M2.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I had a 2012 WRX Limited 5 door for nearly 4 years and 36K miles. Performance wise, the car had Bilstein/RCE Yellows, tame sway bars, 18X8.5 Enkei Rajjins with 235/40R18 MPSS, and a Cobb Stage 1 tune.

I received my special ordered M235 6MT (no moonroof, no Nav) back in Feb 2016. I liked my WRX and tried so damn hard to love it. I think my biggest gripes were the cheapness of the car (it was to market in 2008 after all) and it was based on a economy car that sells for $19K. It was fun as hell once the suspension and tires were added. Launching was easy and fun and the grip around turns under throttle was impressive.

With that said, I grew so tired of tearing a part the interior to chase rattles, modding the stock seats for more support, dealing with the harshness of the aftermarket suspension on a flimsy chassis, the weird 5MT gearing, and the lack of power below 3000rpms.

In comparison, the M235 is NOTHING like the WRX. I truly love my M235. I look forward to driving it everyday. It feels like a vault in comparison and is so refined (to me). The seats and steering wheel are amazing. The shifter is great and even better with the M Performance shift knob which reduces the throw and add some additional directness (at the expense of a little more vibration felt through the shift knob).

The acceleration in the M235 is far better than my WRX's if you take the WRX launch out of the equation. My best my WRX did in the 1/4 mile was 103mph with the Stage 1 tune. I no longer have easy access of the 1/4 mile strip, but my M235 feels much faster except off the line. The mags say 107mph in the 1/4 mile for the 6MT but all those test cars had 1,000-2,000 miles. I'm certain a broken in M235 6MT should see 109-110+mph at the strip. That's pretty quick all things considered.

I've got the M Performance muffler and the M2 lower airbox. This adds to an amazing sounding car. It sounds throaty and somewhat exotic. I do not have a tune yet. The N55 in this car has an electronic wastegate that means the ECU can vary boost significantly. BMW went to great lengths to make the power delivery NA like. What you get is a building of power sensation like a well tuned small displacement NA V8. There is strong power in the mid range and if you stay in it, power builds and peaks at around 6300rpms with very little of it falling off at the 7,000rpm fuel cut. Once you add a tune, this linear power delivery gets somewhat wrecked at the expense of massive gains of power in the low to midrange. It basically becomes a power delivery similar to a current gen WRX or Focus RS where the power hits really hard and then pukes at 5500-5800rpms.

I saw your note about the tires. I currently have Alpin PA4 performance winters on the car. They're amazing, but they do reduce steering feel, make steering lighter, and handling isn't stellar. There's a big difference in handling and feel with the MPSS tires when temps are above 50s. If the M235 you drove had more focused winter tires, the difference would be extensive.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You might do yourself a favor by trying a 228/230 as well - very close in power, and less weight up front. If you noticed the diff between WRX and 240, you'll probably also appreciate the improved balance of the 230. Although it may be down some HP on paper, I think you'll find that the BMW power curve is also less 'youthful-tuner peaky' and much more usable. Don't know what the WRX is going for, but higher price and reduced practicality would be the only possible drawbacks for a 235 - the extra power should put it in a different class altogether.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Since you're not in a rush, if you can wait until the fall of 2018 the 2 series GC will be arriving. Probably a bit more practical for what you are looking to do with the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
sectachrome
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You might do yourself a favor by trying a 228/230 as well - very close in power, and less weight up front. If you noticed the diff between WRX and 240, you'll probably also appreciate the improved balance of the 230. Although it may be down some HP on paper, I think you'll find that the BMW power curve is also less 'youthful-tuner peaky' and much more usable. Don't know what the WRX is going for, but higher price and reduced practicality would be the only possible drawbacks for a 235 - the extra power should put it in a different class altogether.
I might look at one this weekend. I'm pretty set on wanting the I6 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Since you're not in a rush, if you can wait until the fall of 2018 the 2 series GC will be arriving. Probably a bit more practical for what you are looking to do with the car.
A 4 door 2 series would be a nice option. I really like the smaller size of the 2 vs. a 3. However, buying new is definitely out of budget for me and I really dislike the auto rev match on the newer manual cars so the M235i is probably it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I came from a 2006 WRX.

It's night and day.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
Larry7995
Private
Rep

Mine is pretty fun even though it has auto and xdrive. I am going to swap the all season radials for some summer performance tires next month. I am off this week so one day I am taking it up in the twisties west of Denver.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:02 AM   #19
MartyMcFly88MPH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry7995 View Post
Mine is pretty fun even though it has auto and xdrive. I am going to swap the all season radials for some summer performance tires next month. I am off this week so one day I am taking it up in the twisties west of Denver.
Next month might be wishful thinking with the weather. I think ill head up coal creek canyon in the morning. Too bad i'm on winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I had a 2009 WRX Premium: gunmetal on gunmetal. Very cool car, and fast, and yes: relatively cheap in terms of interior and body materials. My mods were minimal: aFe intake, short-shift kit, boost/oil temp gauges, stereo (self-designed a custom double-DIN stereo/gauge insert with an outfit in Florida, IIRC), a few other mainly cosmetic things. Was very close to a Cobb tune (they're based in the area) when I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new 370z ...

... anyway: Almost all of what XutvJet says is dead on. My 228 and the WRX are almost dead equal in terms of power and stats. The WRX was a really fun 'point and squirt' car with practicality, grip, and that AWD-boxer sound and low center of gravity, but every non-powertrain square inch of that car oozed econobox. The 2 Series has none of that.

I actually find my 228i's suspension (non-predictive) to be somewhat similar to my WRXs in terms of body control, compliance, and understeer: somewhat predictable and precise, but with a bit of softness that takes some time and experimentation to learn how to anticipate and utilize. The WRX definitely felt lighter because of the balance, CoG, and the powertrain -- and the latter made getting out of trouble different but inherently easier. The 228 is a far more solid and even-keeled machine power-wise -- and once you learn what the different drive modes affect and how to control and exploit the RWD in each of them, it's more fun.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 01:35 AM   #21
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Try and get a rwd model of you want some tail action. Note that the BMW are open rear diffs . IIRC sti has LSD not sure about wrx.
Ever thought about the Camaro and Mustang alternatives? They provide more hooniganism.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #22
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

the m235i is an excellent street car with great tossabilty, but if you're looking for something more fun in the similar sense of the wrx but with more upscale interior then I would also consider a used e9x m3
Appreciate 0