THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum WRX to M235i?

02-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

My car progression was 2014 WRX Limited Hatch => 2016 STi Base => 2016 M235i.

IMHO, the M235 is better in just about every way in comparison to 14 WRX and 16 STi. The only thing I miss about the STi was how amazing it was at autocross in the street class and how perfectly sprung/damped the car was from the factory.

That said, on similar tires, I'm ~2 seconds slower in the M235i than I was in the STi at a standard 45-60 second autocross course. However, at the drag strip, I'm .4 seconds faster in the M235i and also a bit quicker around a fast, sweeping road course.

My pros / cons of the M235i in comparison to the WRX and STi

M235i Pros:
- Interior by country mile is better including amenities
- So much quieter and no rattles
- Solid feeling of everything
- Infotainment and nav with iDrive blows all the Subaru stuff out of the water
- Better dealer experience / support
- Much more factory/warrantied options for performance parts, wheels and accessories
- ZF 8-speed is brilliant for commuting/trffic and works great for track duty
- Smoooooooth engine
- More power, better acceleration
- Better freeway bomber
- Free maintenance
- Engine is more stout and able to cope with tuning better

M235i Cons:
- More expensive
- Depreciation is rough when compared to the WRX/STi
- Not as "raw"
- City gas mileage is worse. Yes, worse than the STi. I'm averaging 14.4 in stop and go.
- A bit "flashy" depending on the audience
- Wheel / tire selection for the 2-series is deplorable if you're used to something like a WRX which has a seemingly endless amount of options for sizes/styles. You're basically stuck with the terrible looking (IMHO) stock wheels or getting one of eight other wheels made for this chassis, most of which are for show and won't be any wider or lighter than stock.
- Suspension upgrades, especially shocks, are very limited due to using the M-Performance suspension.
- If you care about autocross and are in the US, the M235i runs in F-Street in SCCA autocross against the new Mustang. So you can basically kiss any chance of winning anything goodbye. There's simply no way to get enough tire under the front to make it competitive.

Ultimately I've been very happy with the car and loving it more each day!
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
      02-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

^^ What do you run in quarter? Stock or modded?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #25
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'll chime in... I had a 2010 WRX which I modded with stage 2 pro-tune, bilsteins, stoptechs, wheels/tires, bushings, shifter, clutch, etc. The OEM car was pretty fast in a straight line if you could get the clutch work right but was downright dangerous when it came to handling and braking at speed. After my $10k in mods it was set up well but was still juvenile and an econobox in disguise.

I moved from that to an E90 M3, an SQ5, and now M235xi. The M3 was the most exciting and "nice" car, the SQ5 an amazing sport 'ute (wife drives it now), and the M235xi is probably the best car I've owned. It has smooth power that is easy to use and abuse, good looks, nice and very comfortable interior to me, good but not great sounds, the BEST AWD balance I've experienced when it comes to performance and getting the rear end out, and a pretty good autobox transmission which I never find myself complaining about (that's fairly remarkable).

The only downsides are that it doesn't haul people that well, doesn't have a hatch for my pooch, and while the speed it generates can be exciting, it's so good at everything that it doesn't have a raw exciting edge. Seriously this is like the best car for the money but I'm a goof and want my cars to bite back sometimes. I'm in a lease through summer 2018.

Did I mention it has good looks even in OEM form?

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #26
sectachrome
Rep
Drives: 13' WRX

Didn't expect to get this many great responses. I appreciate everyones input!

Im having a hard time thinking of a better car for the money, especially used for ~$35k. Golf R, nice but too boring. STi or Focus RS, probably awesome to drive but to boy racer. Mustang, probably pretty good but I just can't. As a car guy, I'm always thinking about what the next move could be. The 2 series cars just have that essence of a what a great BMW should be.

I've seen mixed reviews on exactly how "sporty" it is though, which makes sense because it seems to attract demographics on both sides of the spectrum. I think I am someone who would enjoy the extra bit the M2 has to offer, but I also know that there's only so much you can use on public roads. It's funny, I got rid of my Miata because it was too raw and impractical as an only car, yet have found myself secretly craving that ever since. Honestly I think I'd be pretty happy with equal performance to the WRX (but with RWD fun instead), and the upgrade in interior and aesthetics. I don't really care too much about the aftermarket. I'm kind of done doing any major suspension or engine mods. Apparently you can just put more M logos on the car for some quick power anyway.

Hopefully I can do some more test drives to see if it really suits me. If it does, I hope a lot more used manual cars come on the market soon because theyre like finding a needle in a haystack right now and I don't think I can do an auto.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #27
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
^^ What do you run in quarter? Stock or modded?
I ran a 13.1 in the M235i. All stock/zf8.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #28
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The M235 is a legit sportscar. The WRX and STI are definitely not for numerous reasons. The M235 isn't remotely as raw as the WRX but it is by far the better performance car. It just does everything really really well for a RWD sportscar that can be driven on a daily basis and see some limited track time.

Also, you can definitely fit wider rubber under the front. I'll be running 245/35R18 tires up front once I swap on my new 18x8 rims. That will give me a square setup. There are lots of guys running 235 to 255 width front tires on these cars and 255 to 265 out back.

And don't settle for the auto if the manual is what you want. It is worth it. My dealer thought I was nuts ordering a fairly loaded M235 with a 6mt but without a moonroof or nav. I knew actually what I was doing. Getting the lightest and most resaleable M235 LOL
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 08:58 PM   #29
cralmandi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Always been a BMW guy but i wanted a brand new car with a warranty so I gave a 2016 STi hyper blue a try. As much as I wanted to like it I always missed the refinement of the BMW. I could never get comfortable in the STi. Interior sucked. And it was loud and you felt every pebble in the road. However the drive train was amazing with 3 limited slip difs. The thing never ran out of grip. I missed the BMW and traded it for a M235i. Whole different animal. So much smoother and refined. So much better for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:30 AM   #30
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

You might miss the boxer engine and exhuast note, especially if you had an unequal length header!
Appreciate 0