THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235iX manual

02-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #23
sectachrome
Rep
Drives: 13' WRX

Yeah, with traction control, stability control, abs, etc. that every car has now I don't think you need to be that concerned with having RWD in the winter as long as you have the proper tires. I daily drove an NA Miata with snow tires but no electronic aids at all in NJ and CO winters without any issues. You just need to understand how to react if/when it loses grip, which can be learned in 30 mins in a snowy parking lot.

Everyone thinks they have to have AWD now, but scoff at the idea of owning a set of winter tires. I understand why people like it, but on a car like the M235i I think you'll find RWD more fun and rewarding if you are the type who actually enjoys driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #24
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectachrome View Post
Yeah, with traction control, stability control, abs, etc. that every car has now I don't think you need to be that concerned with having RWD in the winter as long as you have the proper tires. I daily drove an NA Miata with snow tires but no electronic aids at all in NJ and CO winters without any issues. You just need to understand how to react if/when it loses grip, which can be learned in 30 mins in a snowy parking lot.

Everyone thinks they have to have AWD now, but scoff at the idea of owning a set of winter tires. I understand why people like it, but on a car like the M235i I think you'll find RWD more fun and rewarding if you are the type who actually enjoys driving.
I know. I'm constantly hearing people say "Oh, I have all wheel drive so I don't need snow tires." Like the AWD helps them stop any better.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
I know. I'm constantly hearing people say "Oh, I have all wheel drive so I don't need snow tires." Like the AWD helps them stop any better.
..or turn, especially if something unexpected happens in their path. OEMs have spent years linking the ideas of AWD and being able to get going, mostly because they do sell AWD and don't sell winter tires. Apparently, the link has taken root in many minds, regardless of rationale.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #26
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

It's all really specific, based on where you live (region, street, and topography) and where you regularly drive.

I drove a RWD car through 7 winters and did OK, but I won't be doing it again. There were too many days when I ended up snowed in, or needed a ride home from a coworker, because my car was unable to make it home through deep snow. Getting started on an incline in deep snow with RWD is pretty damn hard, I don't care how good a driver you think you are. I would say if you live in the city where it's usually well plowed and you don't have lots of hills, or if you are Ok with cancelling meetings or hitching rides with others if you have to, then go ahead with the RWD in the snow. Otherwise, it's no contest, AWD is much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I do love my AWD with snow tires - on a day like today I'm almost tempted to take a few extra 'laps' to play in the snow, and have only been close to really being stuck in the worst snowfalls (over a foot, especially if heavy wet snow, will cause issues).

But if you are only doing one, then dedicated snow tires on RWD is undoubtedly a better bet than AWD with all-seasons. More hassle to change them out, and perhaps overkill for 70% of the country, but better traction overall. I'm not a diehard manual lover, but I don't think the traction would be a big enough issue to keep you from the tranny you want - otherwise, you probably wouldn't be looking at this car at all, and would already be wasting your life in a big 4wd sport ute (or, shudder, a Subaru).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
...and would already be wasting your life in a big 4wd sport ute (or, shudder, a Subaru).

A tool for every purpose!

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

And extra points for the bold color statement.
Appreciate 0