THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Space saver options

02-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #1
PGC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Space saver options

Hi,
Collecting car 1st March M240i and was wondering what space saver options are available? If anyone has some info, BMW parts numbers, alternative car equivalents like e60 or e92 that would be great and appreciated.
Cheers
Okay chaps in case i haven't made myself clear or possibly there is a difference in terminology. I have had run flats in the past and been left stuck on the side of the road when the side wall has been so badly damaged that to carry on driving would have wrecked the wheel so when i say spacesaver im refereing to the small skinny 17'' wheel that fits in a bag with jack and brace to get you home in an emergency, in the past i believe people have worked out that some other models spares worked on cars that BMW said wouldn't / shouldn't fit.

Cheers all.

Last edited by PGC; 02-20-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Congratulations, great choice. I have a 228ix and have decent space especially with the rear seat down. Trunk space is not bad either. I don't know of any space saver options but I would be interested in checking them out. I can get 1 set of clubs in the trunk through the access space and if I take the wheels off of my bike it will fit in the back seat folded down. The rear sear can accommodate 2 adults as long as they are not too big. The grandkids fit fine. I did take out the rear headrests out as rear view vision in my vert is not good with the top up. It makes it look better without the headrests sticking up with the top down. Just a few tips for you. Enjoy.

Last edited by Rayscott; 02-20-2017 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Could the OP please explain the request further? I suppose you can save space by taking out the rear seat, but that doesn't make sense, and wouldn't require a part number. Maybe this is a language issue translating from English to American? What are we talking about, please?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
PGC
Enlisted Member
Rep

added an explanation.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

I assume he is talking about a space saver spare tire as opposed to using crap run-flats. I've seen posts on this board about an OEM space saver kit sold on line so he can do a search under "spare tire". It's pretty expensive. A cheaper alterative is an "almost full size" spare where you buy a cheap smaller diameter rim that clears the brakes (about $75) and then buy a higher profile inexpensive tire that brings the combination back to the correct diameter (about $100). I use this on my Audi TT and the almost full size spare is only about 1" thicker than the space saver, a lot cheaper, and does not have the speed or distance restrictions of the space saver.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Now I get it! Never thought of it as a "space saver", as a minispare isn't saving any space, as there never was a full size to improve upon! Anyway, here's the link...check my post #20 for photo of solution and contact link.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...7#post20050147
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Does anyone know for sure whether the Bimmerzone 18-inch spare tire kit will fit in the trunk of a convertible 240--with the top down?

I had a similar solution for my E46 M3C, but 17-inch size.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

From what I recall when I looked into this, and from looking on Real OEM, there is definitely not an official BMW space saver for the M240i.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
How about you go with the runflats and see what you think? There are some very trenchant views about them being significantly inferior to non-runflats. But it's very hard to evaluate as obviously, someone whose gone to the substantial cost of ditching the stock tyres may be biased. And even if you accept the proposition, it's equally hard to judge just how much better non-runflats may be, and whether it's worth trading this notional advantage for the advantage of being able to drive on runflats, even when damaged.

It's a difficult risk/probability decision: it's all very well to say you should ditch the runflats, but how do you deal with a flat? There is no official spacesaver. You can get a narrow wheel+tyre to fit but you don't really want to run with this for any longer than you would a runflat. So what's the point?

The BMW runflats I had on my old 1990 525tds weren't great but they were OK. In contrast, modern runflats are light years ahead. So as I said, how about you work with the stock solution and then see how you feel?
      02-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I am on the same Winter 7.5 x 17" and look forward to throwing on the stock 18" Pirelli's soon..

Could not agree more.. Winter tires have gotten exponentially better over the years.

It takes 30 minutes to change them out once the small animals start rotting in the driveway once the snow melts...

It's really not that hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

I strongly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
How about you go with the runflats and see what you think? There are some very trenchant views about them being significantly inferior to non-runflats. But it's very hard to evaluate as obviously, someone whose gone to the substantial cost of ditching the stock tyres may be biased. And even if you accept the proposition, it's equally hard to judge just how much better non-runflats may be, and whether it's worth trading this notional advantage for the advantage of being able to drive on runflats, even when damaged.

It's a difficult risk/probability decision: it's all very well to say you should ditch the runflats, but how do you deal with a flat? There is no official spacesaver. You can get a narrow wheel+tyre to fit but you don't really want to run with this for any longer than you would a runflat. So what's the point?

The BMW runflats I had on my old 1990 525tds weren't great but they were OK. In contrast, modern runflats are light years ahead. So as I said, how about you work with the stock solution and then see how you feel?
I'll agree that improvements have been made in run flats, proven by the fact that several very high performance exotic cars are equipped with them. But for the average enthusiast, tire selection is a compromise between cornering and ride comfort and sidewall stiffness is critical to that compromise. Run-flats are required to have the highest sidewall stiffness possible to meet their designed objective and results in a very noticeable deterioration in ride comfort compared to a conventional tire. Also, runflats are significantly more expensive than a comparable performance conventional tire, are rarely in stock at tire stores, and require special equipment to dismount/mount so you can't just go to any local garage for help when you are in trouble. Unlike conventional tires, most runflats can not be repaired for a simple tread puncture. So a flat will require you to buy at least 2 new tires if your tires are not nearly new.

Then you must consider the issue of the utility of run flats when they lose air. If the cause is a mere puncture in the tread area, you typically have about 50 miles of use of the tire in that condition. If the cause was a bent rim, sidewall failure and/or a tire slice, the tire is unusable and you are no better off than a conventional tire. If you are "lucky" and it is a tread puncture, you must find a tire store and typically wait a few days for replacements to arrive. The better tire stores in my area mount a cheap conventional tire so you car is not immobilized in the process.

Then you have the issue of availability. In the American east and most of Europe, you are never too far from a tire store during normal business hours. In the rural American west, it is not unusual to be 50 miles or more from a gas station, much less a garage, and much less a tire store. So your run flats can not get you to safety and you are looking at a tow and several days being stranded waiting for tires because even a garage can not remove the run flat without the special equipment.

Compact spare tires are rated for several hundred miles but have a speed restriction of about 50 mph which could be dangerous in some freeway driving. A US auto magazine recently did some speed and cornering tests on compact spares on different wheels locations and they did amazingly well. So you can use them with confidence. If you use a small rim and narrow conventional tire (assuming you have chosen a combination that gives you the correct tire diameter), you do not have the speed nor mileage restrictions of the compact spare, can be used as long as needed, and can be reused multiple times. I once had to use mine when I lost air pressure in Nowhere Arizona and was able to complete my 200 mile drive home at freeway speeds.

I find that most people who like runflats are people who have never had a flat with them. Once you go through that experience, you will likely never use runflats again, as they provide a false sense of protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Does anyone know for sure whether the Bimmerzone 18-inch spare tire kit will fit in the trunk of a convertible 240--with the top down?

I had a similar solution for my E46 M3C, but 17-inch size.
I had a 17" DWS06 tire back there yesterday with plenty of room if that's any indication. Same rolling diameter as stock 18" wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
PGC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks NVHoo, This is the point I was trying to make, but was begining to think I was the only one who felt this way! I have nothing against the runflat tyres fitted to modern BMW's ( can be a little unforgiving ) but having been left on the side of the road with a shreaded tyre in the past which was so badly damaged it was unable to be driven on I don't want to be without a plan ''B'' again.
I was hoping that someone out there had worked out what space saving (skinny spare) from another model would fit the M240I.
Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I had a 17" DWS06 tire back there yesterday with plenty of room if that's any indication. Same rolling diameter as stock 18" wheel.
Thank you. That does help. Trying to figure out whether I'm brave enough (or foolhardy enough) to drive on non-runflats in areas with no cell service. That's why I carried the mini in the M3. Regular country drives with no cell service available and scant traffic.

BTW, last flat I had was also on a run-flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Thank you. That does help. Trying to figure out whether I'm brave enough (or foolhardy enough) to drive on non-runflats in areas with no cell service. That's why I carried the mini in the M3. Regular country drives with no cell service available and scant traffic.

BTW, last flat I had was also on a run-flat.
No run flats anymore for me, and I live in a pretty remote (no cell service, often) area with lots of elevation change. I have three methods of road side support, in the event something arises when I'm traveling abroad, sometimes just need to hitch hike to gain cell service and make the call
      02-22-2017, 03:59 AM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I driven on racing tracks with the tire valve removed and never had a BMW run flat tire collapse. Some of our driving was around cones as fast as we liked. You have more change on getting a flat with your spare tire than BMW's run flats collapsing.

Both my latest BMW's I own have run flats and I've never checked their tire pressure or had a flat tire. I did have one in my Z4 and drove many miles home with no problem and the car drove normally.
      02-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I dont race or drive aggressively enough to get rid of my run flats. I had one flat in 6 years on my X3 and drove 30 miles to get it replaced.

Last edited by Rayscott; 02-22-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0