THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

07-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Latest Tire Rack UHP summer tire tests in Car & Driver print issue

Tire Rack and C&D did a blind test on 5 ultrahigh performance summer tires. They were the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 3, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2, Pirelli P Zero (the 2016 model with a small “PZ4” on the sidewall), the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (replaces the old DW), and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (replaces the Supersport). They are listed in order of finish from 5’th to first. The Contact Sport and Pilot Sport blew the other 3 away. I’ve seen other pro reviews saying the Contact Sport is the equal of the old Supersports so this is no surprise.
Summary of results is that the Michelin excels on dry (e.g. a 29.5 autocross lap time compared to 30.1 seconds for the Conti). However, the Contis excel in wet (31.8 second autocross time compared to 32.2, shorter braking, and a .03 edge in skidpad). Keep in mind that the Michelin wet performance blew away the other 3 tires, so Michelin’s wet performance is no slouch but the Contis are significantly better. Similarly, the Conti’s blew away the other 3 on dry pavement so it is a pretty good dry tire. Other comments were that the Contis were the loudest of the group on expansion joint noise, giving Michelin the edge on noise. Michelin also had a softer touring ride but showed a slight tendency to trammel. The Conti’s are about 18% cheaper than the Michelins.
My impression from the article. If you live in frequent rain (I don’t), go with the Contis. If you want the best street tire for clear weather racing, go with the Michelins. The Conti’s seem to be the best bang for the buck (as were the departed DW).
Appreciate 4
BM235iW97.00
RotorOver295.50
pz6193277.00
      07-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
That's great - considering I am swapping my factory Michelin PSS for Conti Extreme Sports tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Nice ... but, once again, posted in the wrong forum.

Mods: Please move this thread to this subforum. Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, move it for me or delete it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Nice ... but, once again, posted in the wrong forum.

Mods: Please move this thread to this subforum. Thank you!

Last edited by NVHoo; 07-13-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

I wonder how is the sidewall stiffness on the Conti and PS4S. My biggest issue with the PSS having driven on other tires like the RE71R and Dunlop ZII is that the PSS sidewall is much too soft; granted the PSS is a Max performance summer tire vs extreme summer tires for the RE71R and ZII.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, apples and oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I wonder how is the sidewall stiffness on the Conti and PS4S. My biggest issue with the PSS having driven on other tires like the RE71R and Dunlop ZII is that the PSS sidewall is much too soft; granted the PSS is a Max performance summer tire vs extreme summer tires for the RE71R and ZII.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Yeah, keep replying to people with periods. See what happens, man.

Please think about everyone who uses this forum, not about how you and you only use this forum. What you posted is valuable info for everyone; I'm sure that's why you posted it, so there's that. Thing is, the post is about tires. It belongs in the appropriate Wheels & Tires forum.

Thank you.

(.)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:

Please think about everyone who uses this forum, not about how you and you only use this forum. What you posted is valuable info for everyone; I'm sure that's why you posted it, so there's that. Thing is, the post is about tires. It belongs in the appropriate Wheels & Tires forum.

Thank you.

(.)
In fairness, I think his replies are in the post titles rather than the body of the post. At least that's how it reads on my screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:

Thank you.

(.)
In fairness, I think his replies are in the post titles rather than the body of the post. At least that's how it reads on my screen.
Well, to continue in fairness ... the post titles aren't visible to those using the Bimmerpost app. :

OP, please re-think how you use the forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, to continue in fairness ... the post titles aren't visible to those using the Bimmerpost app. :

That point probably could have been made with a bit less snarkiness, which would make this a better environment for everyone who uses this forum.

Those who have never used the app would have know way of knowing that the post titles don't show up in the app. However, knowing that now, I agree with your point and will certainly keep that in mind for the future. Thank you for pointing this out to those who do not use the app.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Invisible title

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
That point probably could have been made with a bit less snarkiness, which would make this a better environment for everyone who uses this forum.

Those who have never used the app would have know way of knowing that the post titles don't show up in the app. However, knowing that now, I agree with your point and will certainly keep that in mind for the future. Thank you for pointing this out to those who do not use the app.
Correct, my original response was in the title asking the BH "Sorry, please move it for me or delete it" and I get a snark response I did not even know the ap you are referencing existed, much less its incredibly stupid limitations. As a member of 6 car forums, I know of no other where the titles are deleted in a phone ap version, so how is one supposed to know what a thread is about when viewing on the ap? I put the period in the text main body because you can not post a reply that is "title only", there must be something in the text block, another anachronism.

And, yeah, this is the second time I've posted something that is certainly of interest to members of this forum since tire buying advice is a frequent topic here, and yet been flagged. As with the prior warning, the decision by the BH seems to be very arbitrary as posts about weather tech mats, raised tire lettering, rims, and winter tires have been posted here recently without complaint. I've not been flagged on the 5 other forums where I've posted this tire test information. I never go visit the technical forums and I am not alone as this forum has 4x the posts of the largest technical forum, so if I want to get the word out on a topic that has been widely discussed here and elsewhere (How good are the new Conti and Michelin tires?) this would seem to be the best place to inform 2 owners who are highly likely to want this data on their next tire purchase.

As for me, I am really sorry for violating the TOS. In the future, I will really try hard to remember just how restrictive this forum is and limit my posts to replies to others so I don't offend anyone with new threads. It won't happen again. And I repeat, please delete this thread for me because I don't know how.

Last edited by NVHoo; 07-14-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
Luddy41.50
harma24402.50
      07-14-2017, 11:00 PM   #12
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.

(.)

I don't really understand what prompted a response like this. I understand trying to keep the forums organized but there is literally a post a few threads down about a staggered all season setup.

Everyone should remember that we are in a way representing the Bimmerpost community when we post here. One of the things that drew me to this forum has been the friendly and helpful people. There is a more tactful way the same thought could have been conveyed.
Appreciate 3
harma24402.50
shil31.50
snaketh99.50
      07-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:

Thank you.

(.)
I really appreciate Mike..

He isn't afraid to show everyone that asshole side.. Sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes it's also amusing as hell to see people get butt hurt over such stupid things that require actual attention.

But it's always friggin hilarious....

I sometimes consider posting in the wrong area just to troll, but then think.. No.. Did Norman Lear interfere when Archie started yelling at the, "slow folk"? on All in the Family?

No..... This show is too good to mess with.. Just enjoy it...

Keep up the fight Mike ... I look forward to more colorful and emotional forum policing..
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
shil31.50
      07-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Ignoring all this trivial and meaningless arguing over what subforum to post in...

When can we expect M240s to be factory-delivered with PS4Ss?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Ignoring all this trivial and meaningless arguing over what subforum to post in...

When can we expect M240s to be factory-delivered with PS4Ss?
PS4s are made for 19" and 20" alloys-only!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
I really appreciate Mike..

He isn't afraid to show everyone that asshole side.. Sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes it's also amusing as hell to see people get butt hurt over such stupid things that require actual attention.

But it's always friggin hilarious....

I sometimes consider posting in the wrong area just to troll, but then think.. No.. Did Norman Lear interfere when Archie started yelling at the, "slow folk"? on All in the Family?

No..... This show is too good to mess with.. Just enjoy it...

Keep up the fight Mike ... I look forward to more colorful and emotional forum policing..
'Preciate ya, man.

Just for the record: People who know me on this forum know what I'm about. I actually like, and look forward to, giving advice -- when it's asked for appropriately, i.e. the forum is used as it's intended.

If my response seemed snarky, I apologize to those who feel that way. But that doesn't mean I won't do it again, because sometimes that's what's needed. The OP plainly didn't know how to use the forum appropriately.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
PS4s are made for 19" and 20" alloys-only!
Yeah this. I wonder if they will expand the lineup one day to 18s.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I thought somebody wrote about 18 inchers already coming out in Europe? Big long thread on these specific tires, probably in the wheel/tires subforum (at the risk of restarting something...). Personally, I'm going to go for the Conti's, as I value the all around traction to save my butt in the wet. If I were tracking, I'd go for something further up the performance hierarchy (and probably with a dedicated track set) so I think it was a mistake for them to sacrifice wet handling for a bit more in the dry.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      07-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Yeah this. I wonder if they will expand the lineup one day to 18s.
They will
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #20
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
After almost 2 weeks I must say I like these Contis more than the PSS. Wet traction is awesome, and I do not find them any louder than the PSS.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      07-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

Mods: Please move this thread to this subforum.
Apparently the mods aren't wrapped around the axle about this.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0