THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Front license plate location

05-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #45
Nyorky2428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

This is the one I tried, no luck:

https://www.bavauto.com/B5100124
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #46
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Removing a tow hook mounted license plate cost 0$.

Having front bumper holes repaired and cover repainted will cost between $500-$600.

Drilling holes to mount a license bracket causes damage to your car. I couldn't care less about my license plate bracket being off center. It's better than rolling around with two holes drilled through it.
I've been advocating double-sided foam tape for years.
That will work too. Some people have used zip ties and mounted it to the lower intake grill but I'm thinking that's not good for the intercooler.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #47
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

For those trying to get it to work w/ parking sensors, do a search of this site - I think another thread has detailed info (IIRC the USMilworks one was working for many, with fairly particular settings).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #48
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I have a EUR license plate so it's much more wider than the US ones. When I first got the car I didn't want to have the front license plate on as it's not a requirement here but my dad talked some sense into me by saying;

1) Although it's not mandatory why argue with a LEO if he or she pulls you over.

2) It can protect the bumper from small hits from other cars if any where to occur like small backing up accidents.

So I asked my bumper to be drilled and the license plate to be attached to the license plate holder via foam tape, the drilling procedure was rather easy as there were 2 little holes beneath the bumper to attach the plate holder, after a while this arrangement started to cause some issues as the plate came off a couple of times (lucky when parked) so I drilled it as well and put white and blue caps to the screws. I'm happy with it ever since...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #49
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Don't use one. Then you don't have that problem anymore.
      05-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #50
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

All this banter about front license plates reminds me of a little sports car my dad had back in the '50's. The front end of his car allowed few, if any, mounting options, so it pretty much had to go inside the grille opening. Dad figured this would significantly interfere with air flow to the radiator, so he got out his metal sheers and trimmed off all of the metal 1/8" outside the fonts. It was still very readable, but very trim. He drove that car daily for over 15 years and never got called on it.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #51
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

OK, as OP, I think it's time to sum things up. As usual, everyone had some pretty darn good comments, so many thx in advance... so here we go:

- I agree the toe hook, off-centre/asymetrical approach doesn't look good, and could potentially block air flow and, in particular, the beloved PDC (that's a big minus IMHO). The sideways mounted version thereof is a joke I presume.
- The quick release plate holder that attaches under the bumper may still require drilling into the bumper for newer cars, and is costly. It also blocks the lower venting.
- The flip up version; well let's just say that it could easily get damaged due to the low clearance with the road, and the mechanics could fail in winter. Cool but no go.
- Harma24 summed it up best; it really isn't a big deal to just mount the damn thing in front as intended. I don't want to get pulled over and have things "progress", and an $84 ticket doesn't sound fun either. Besides which, no one is going to see the holes, the plate will protect the front end from stone chips, and the front bumper is pretty flat and looks awkward on most cars w/o the plate there.
- The 1-2 mpg gain if one goes plateless is a joke I presume. If this were true, OEMs w/b demanding plateless cars to meet fuel efficiency standards. Ridiculous.
- Foam tape is a great idea, but won't hold things tight, and over time may cause more damage to the bumper.

It seems the best option is to go with the tried and true; just mount the damn thing and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #52
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
..."FWIW, the factory frame does have a mounting pin that registers in the bumper cover - you can find a tiny hole on the bottom horizontal area of the nose for this - so if the dealer got it wrong they were really hashing it up...."
Can u please elaborate a bit on this (w pics if possible) so I can explain this to my ultra dumb dealer when they go to install the front plate and holder? I have personally seen one dealer where two sales people were doing such an install; one was installing while the other eye-balled centre for them. This was on a brand new M2 for heavens sake. I'm mostly concerned about centring it properly, but making sure it is level is also a potential issue too. I swear my outgoing M235i plateholder was off-centre by 0.25 inch, albeit I never noticed it until it was time to sell her back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #53
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I DK how to post pics, but if you look at the plate holder, at the center bottom at the rear edge it has a small tab sticking up (I think kind of an extension of the rest of the lip). That tab registers in a small hole right at the leading edge of the underside of the radiator opening (so midline, top edge of opening). When I was trial fitting the plate holder it fits right up, and if the tab is not in the hole I don't think it will really sit squarely. I hadn't really noticed the tab, but it became obvious while I was trial fitting it. I have the non-M-sport front end, but I can't imagine they don't do this on all of them, unless the plate holder does not extend all the way down to the horizontal portion of the bumper (and any dealer that would just 'eye-ball' ANYTHING on a new M2 should have their head examined - don't tell me they haven't had somebody come back complaining that something or other is a half a mm off).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #54
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Another option some M2 guys are running where the holes end up on the underside of the bumper and much less conspicuous.

https://skenebrackets.com

I believe it's adjustable so the plate can go in front of lower intake or over bumper like regular mounting would be.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #55
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have used this.

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...235i-SNS64.htm

The only difference is that I mounted mine under the bumper instead of the front lip.

07-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #56
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Another option some M2 guys are running where the holes end up on the underside of the bumper and much less conspicuous.

I believe it's adjustable so the plate can go in front of lower intake or over bumper like regular mounting would be.
As usual, BEM-S4 always has constructive feedback to provide. This kit is probably one of the better looking setups. However, I'm skeptical that the mounting brackets will still be visible when the plate is removed, and the rubber grommets are needed to protect the bumper from the inevitable push back that will occur on the plate when driving. I still think mounting the damn thing using a conventional plate holder is the best option, as there is no way the plate will bend back and damage the bumper.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      07-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #57
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerDad View Post
I have used this.

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...235i-SNS64.htm

The only difference is that I mounted mine under the bumper instead of the front lip.

This is the option in the second link of my (OP) original post. It's a good setup too. However, I'm concerned that the mounting plates will be visible when the plate is disconnected, and covering the lower intake is not a desired look. Your solution to raise the plate location is better, but that blocks the front bumper (and hence probably best to just mount the damn thing there in the first place). Then again only you know how well it works/looks, and I'm just speculating

P.S. What's with the dual plates?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #58
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Quote:

As usual, BEM-S4 always has constructive feedback to provide. This kit is probably one of the better looking setups. However, I'm skeptical that the mounting brackets will still be visible when the plate is removed, and the rubber grommets are needed to protect the bumper from the inevitable push back that will occur on the plate when driving. I still think mounting the damn thing using a conventional plate holder is the best option, as there is no way the plate will bend back and damage the bumper.
Maybe I'm being dense and I admittedly haven't looked at the OEM mount closely since I don't need it, but couldn't you just use the 3M auto double sided stuff to attach to bumper then remove as desired with no permanent damage?

Isn't ideal for the on and off option but seems best if you want a front plate but don't want to drill.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #59
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ok Indy has the solution LOL! U run w/o a front plate, and if u get pulled over, u mount the cop on a front plate holder as depicted below:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hEJnMQG9ev8/maxresdefault.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #60
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I DK how to post pics, but if you look at the plate holder, at the center bottom at the rear edge it has a small tab sticking up (I think kind of an extension of the rest of the lip). That tab registers in a small hole right at the leading edge of the underside of the radiator opening (so midline, top edge of opening). When I was trial fitting the plate holder it fits right up, and if the tab is not in the hole I don't think it will really sit squarely. I hadn't really noticed the tab, but it became obvious while I was trial fitting it. I have the non-M-sport front end, but I can't imagine they don't do this on all of them, unless the plate holder does not extend all the way down to the horizontal portion of the bumper (and any dealer that would just 'eye-ball' ANYTHING on a new M2 should have their head examined - don't tell me they haven't had somebody come back complaining that something or other is a half a mm off).
Thx Maynard! Before I kindly ask my dumb dealer to install the damn thing correctly, below is a link to a U.S. video implying that there are 2 types of BMW plateholders out there - one that self centres and only requires 2 self-tapping screws; the other requires centring by eye (yikes) and 4 self-tapping screws. Which if either of these 2 types has the "tab to be placed in the hole" setup that you describe to ensure automatic centring? Which type is better (i.e., will the 2 screw model still hold the plateholder tightly in all 4 corners)? Which type is compatible with the Canadian 2017 M240i? My gut feeling (and I c/b wrong) is that most BMW dealers have the 4-screw non self centring type, which can lead to misalignment issues. Does anyone have any experience with all of this stuff- sounds like you (Maynard) have some, since you installed the damn thing yourself? I know, so sad one has to worry about properly locating a front license plate, but it is what it is. Thankfully, I presume centring is NOT a problem for the rear plateholder, as it has set screw holes?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #61
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I'm being dense and I admittedly haven't looked at the OEM mount closely since I don't need it, but couldn't you just use the 3M auto double sided stuff to attach to bumper then remove as desired with no permanent damage?

Isn't ideal for the on and off option but seems best if you want a front plate but don't want to drill.
U are a smartie (not dense), and your suggestion is a good one. However, I'm skeptical that double-sided tape is going to secure the plateholder, because there is insufficient surface area that makes contact with the holder and bumper. If there is sufficient surface area, it MAY work. Only downside I suspect is that over time the tape itself may cause more damage than screws would. Either way, your still stuck w a holder that blocks the front bumper. Has anyone given this a try? I'm sure OEM would have done this if it was a viable alternative. Then again what the hell does Indy know?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #62
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
This is the option in the second link of my (OP) original post. It's a good setup too. However, I'm concerned that the mounting plates will be visible when the plate is disconnected, and covering the lower intake is not a desired look. Your solution to raise the plate location is better, but that blocks the front bumper (and hence probably best to just mount the damn thing there in the first place). Then again only you know how well it works/looks, and I'm just speculating

P.S. What's with the dual plates?
There is a release pin on the bracket under the bumper. When you pull the pin, the license plate and the mounting plate come off as one piece. The only thing left on the car is the small bracket under the bumper which you cannot see unless you look for it.

The european plate under my state tag is my tourist plate from the european delivery. I didn't want to remove it, and the factory US plate bracket doesn't fit with it installed.

Here is the link to the installation:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313060
      07-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #63
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I got a tow hook one from Burger Motorsports for my 135is. I’m pretty sure they sell the same thing for the M2. You will like it. I don’t want a front plate drilled in since I am hoping to move back to NC eventually and not need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #64
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

U are a smartie (not dense), and your suggestion is a good one. However, I'm skeptical that double-sided tape is going to secure the plateholder, because there is insufficient surface area that makes contact with the holder and bumper. If there is sufficient surface area, it MAY work. Only downside I suspect is that over time the tape itself may cause more damage than screws would. Either way, your still stuck w a holder that blocks the front bumper. Has anyone given this a try? I'm sure OEM would have done this if it was a viable alternative. Then again what the hell does Indy know?
If there's sufficient surface area it should be fine. I mounted a bumper ez pass on my Touareg that way and it held tight for 3 years. Was a bitch to remove actually. There was no damage when I did remove it using the debadge method of dental floss and goo gone.

Would basically be the same as how they mount the rear spoiler.

All that said I think the states that require front plates should offer a decal option for an exorbitant fee. I'm sure idiots like us would gladly fork over $100 for a sticker version to avoid drilling. Seems like a win win
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #65
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I dug out mine to check. Actually two tabs 238mm apart, and with 4 mounting holes. It is not either of the two in that video, but some similarities; I'll describe hole placements by distances between centers in mm. 4 main mounting holes (broad-based 13mm divots) are located starting about 50mm up from bottom and at 87x285. Another set of 4 narrower formed holes about 20mm up at 122x176. Two inset brass threaded sections at 210width and about 140 from bottom. Back is only against the bumper around these holes and at edges, so using tape probably wouldn't work w/o much mods. Hardware kit w/ long and short self-tappers, and 4 little bolts that don't fit the knurled insets (?).

Molded info w/ Part # on back is:
5111 7293872 195935 10
RMA-TSK Germany>PP+EPDM-T20<
And two tiny date-squares (?)

I have not actually installed this, but I had reached your same conclusion - looks better than aftermarket, and central spot is really aesthetically best. It is just harder to do - reminds me of giving the cats IV - looks so simple 'til you have to do it.... Truthfully, I almost wish the dealer had just put it on and saved me agonizing over it (and whether the federal cops where I work will ever give me a real ticket for it), then when I got ambivalent I could hate them. Seeing it here now, it really is a nice solid piece, and I think I am going to put it on. If you are taking it to the dealer, mock it up first and put blue tape on to show them where. And I think that even just using 2 of the holes would do it.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #66
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

When I picked up my new M240i a few years ago, thankfully the Cdn dealer had properly centred the front licence plate holder (no self-centring holders available at this dealer or likely anywhere in Cda - kinda stupid, but nope they don't use them). I had specifically instructed my saleslady to remind the bozos to centre it, and they got it right. She then boasted that they've never had such a problem. I then inspected another M240i right beside mine also ready for delivery and voila the plate wasn't centred properly. I showed it to the saleslady and I asked her "what's wrong with this picture?" She hesitated, stared at the plate for a bit, and replied... wait for it... "the plate isn't centred." My car (common problem to 2 series, even the car next to mine) had a few very minor areas in front fender well edges where the paint forms tags or doesn't adhere perfectly due to roughness of the fender edge. My car also had a problem with the rear passenger wheel well cover which wouldn't sit flush with the fender well in one corner. Minor issues to be sure, but not something that should have passed PDI. Always inspect your car thoroughly before taking delivery, especially for small dents (which can be bumped out at the Dealer's expense), centred front licence plate holder, etc. Yes, sadly, you see these dent removal folks occasionally removing a dent on a car (even new ones) at any OEM dealer... a rare occurrence but these things happen. Often, they've already bumped out the dent before you take delivery, so again very important to look for any imperfections in the body.

Last edited by Dr. Indiana Jones; 12-18-2018 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0