THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The Interior on these cars is absolute junk

Closed Thread

04-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

The Interior on these cars is absolute junk

I have been a lover of BMW and M's for many years...but sadly my M235i is going to be my last BMW for a while.

Though I love the way this car looks, drives, and sounds...I cannot get over just how unbelievably noisy the interior is. The build quality on the interior of these cars is so ridiculously shitty that it's a slap in the face to people spending a premium on these cars.

I've had the steering wheel, steering column, center dash, din area, dome lights, and headliner replaced and the car is still nonstop with the creaks, pops, cracks, etc.

Driving on the freeway? Sunroof shade starts popping (why??!!!) in your ear. Literally, loud fucking plastic popping sounds. CONSTANTLY.

Gripping the steering wheel towards the bottom? Well now that plastic is making a loud creak and becoming separated from where they connect.

Going over a bump? Get ready for the entire fucking dash to rattle and vibrate.

Love using climate control? Hope you also love hearing the sound of the vents cracking and opening and popping and creaking literally every 10 seconds.

Either I was sold a lemon (and I have the stealership telling me they're replacing parts without actually replacing them) or these cars are just not worth the ridiculous price tag.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #2
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

I have zero complaints about the noise in mine. No rattles, creaks or pops or anything. Maybe I haven't noticed or paid close attention with the stereo on, but don't recall any of the above.
      04-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Well I'm not sure I agree with "absolute junk" because I like the materials, but the fitment of materials is a dumpster fire. I also have a noisy interior and my moonroof creaks like a pirate ship from the 1600s unless I apply lubrication every car wash. So what's my solution? I pretty much drive with the windows down all the time. It's nice where I live so I can do this regularly.

My biggest problem is that if I close the door too hard on the driver side, the interior panel will pop off along the top and the rearmost side. The passenger side speaker grill will come undone if someone closes that side too hard. My F30 was far superior in terms of fit and finish. Parts didn't fall off the car which was a pretty big plus for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Reading the April issue of Consumer Reports, I know they get knocked on car reviews etcetera, but this is what they say about 2-series

New Car Profile section "...Interior appointments are first-rate,..."

New Car Reliability section, Noises/Leaks 2015 - worse then average, exceeds 3 percent of survey respondents, but not their lowest rating. 2016 results were highest ranking, relatively few responses.

In their Rating section, sports/sporty cars over $40,000 the 235 had their highest rating overall and with an average score for Ride/Noise.

My glovebox door sometimes rattle's and just starting getting a rattle that seems like it might be exhaust valve. I'll mention it when I go in for yearly service late this summer, it's not really annoying me, though Justin above seems to have major annoyances which I would not relent on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Sorry you were sold a lemon, OP. Which is largely what has happened.

My interior has been creak- and rattle-free except for a couple of niggly bits (right door, rear deck) likely caused by my own disassembly.

Please consider that the 2 Series is the highest-rated of any BMW model in initial customer metrics (quality, satisfaction, etc.) by both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power, and that all indications point to the Nxx-based 2 Series being the most reliable of any BMW model by a considerable amount. These are measures based on empiricial and objective statistics, not profanity-laced forum posts.

Again: sorry you were sold a subpar build. It happens. And it sucks. But don't consider your experience reflective of everyone's, because it's not.
Appreciate 2
Tpeterson156.50
BMWZ41909.50
      04-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
So what's my solution? I pretty much drive with the windows down all the time.
That's not a solution for a $50k car.
Appreciate 2
crabu2141.50
      04-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Again: sorry you were sold a subpar build. It happens. And it sucks. But don't consider your experience reflective of everyone's, because it's not.
When did I say that?
At the end of the day, you can give me reports and statistics all you want...it doesn't change the poor build quality on the interior of this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojustin View Post
When did I say that?
At the end of the day, you can give me reports and statistics all you want...it doesn't change the poor build quality on the interior of this car.
Yes it does, because the build quality on the interior of our cars is good enough to where most people don't have a complaint about it. That's where objective surveys provide the most reliable data regarding a specific car's strengths and weaknesses.

That's my point. Also, to wit: AFAIK, your kind of blanket complaint about the interior has never come up on this forum in the two-plus years I've been active on it.

Like I said: I'm sorry to hear you were sold a lemon. Your opinion is not shared by the majority of 2 Series owners.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK, your kind of blanket complaint about the interior has never come up on this forum in the two-plus years I've been active on it.
A simple search gave me 3 results within 10 seconds on this forum.

Hell, there's even replies on this thread alone that shares some of my issues.

But ok, right, it's just me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I don't know about US warranty but in Canada squeaks & rattles are covered only for 12 months, here is the pertinent quote from the warranty pdf:

"Adjustments, (i.e. squeaks, rattle, wind noise etc.) that become necessary after correct performance of the P.D.I. will be covered under warranty for up to 12 months or 20,000 kilometres, which ever occurs first from the date of delivery."
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If you think this car is bad, you should have heard the rattles in my prior 2012 WRX Limited ($30K car). Most everything rattled in that car.

Unfortunately, most cars, especially sporty ones, rattle. Heck, even new $100K+ 911s rattle. My 2016 M235 has been pretty dang solid and is the quietest/least rattling car I've ever owned. It's also by far the most expensive.

1) My steering wheel does creek a bit under weight/load (as you described) once temps get above 70ish or so. The sound is the two steering wheel panels rubbing one another. That can easily be fixed by myself if I really wanted to fix it. The hardest part being releasing the airbag/horn assembly. I've learned to live with it though.

2) My HVAC "pops" and whirs sometimes when I start the car. Those sounds go away shortly after driving. The sounds are more prevalent in warmer weather. I've learned to live with it because it's part of the design, the same design of which is shared with many other BMW models.

3) On bigger pavement cuts, potholes, and rough pavement, I can hear a rattle or two from the dash depending on the temp of the car and ambient temps. Given the stiff suspension and low profile tires, this to me isn't unexpected. Some days the interior is like a vault, other days it's a bit more rattly. Ever car I've owned has been like this.

4) Can't speak to the moonroof. I ordered mine without. Given all the noise complaints, I'm VERY glad I did. Rattly moonroofs and sunshades seem to be common place on BMWs and many other cars.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You gotta do better than that, man. Search term(s)? Links? And are these blanket issues with the interior like you have, or just small specific issues like, say, the tendency for the seats to prematurely wear around the lumbar area? (Newsflash: Most cars have this issue at some point.)

Here's something that has been discussed before: Forums, by their nature, grossly exaggerate perceived issues because only people with negative issues tend to post about them. This is common knowledge among long-time forum participants (and, I might add, former forum admins) such as me. Forums also tend to attract those who are ultra-passionate about the topic at hand -- not garden-variety subjects. Those passionate people, well ... they tend to bitch more -- and they also tend to have bias.

Statistical surveys among all participants/owners is the most reliable way to judge this kind of thing. Not your own personal experience, or mine, or anyone else's.

All I'm saying is that your experience with, and opinion of, the 2 Series interior is not shared by the majority of owners. So don't categorize and infer, like you did in your original post, that all 2 Series interiors are crap quality. Because they're not.

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:

No, it's not just you....it's really about BMW. From what you and some others have said, it seems BMW does not have a robust control of their supply base for interior trim. My car is one of the "solid" ones, with no squeaks/rattles, going on three years after one door trim was replaced earlier on. The most reasonable conclusion is that there is unwanted variation in the build, perhaps due to changes in materials over model years to reduce costs, or deterioration of dies which mold parts not being replaced/maintained. In any event, you dissatisfaction is quite understandable and it's unfortunate you got "one of those".
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
That's not a solution for a $50k car.
Eh...it is for me, but I have a pretty high tolerance for these sort of things. Plus I'm switching cars in about a year so it's not the biggest deal to me. Your mileage may vary. My love of everything else in this car outweighs the negatives in the interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Here's something that has been discussed before: Forums, by their nature, grossly exaggerate perceived issues because only people with negative issues tend to post about them. This is common knowledge among long-time forum participants (and, I might add, former forum admins) such as me. Forums also tend to attract those who are ultra-passionate about the topic at hand -- not garden-variety subjects. Those passionate people, well ... they tend to bitch more -- and they also tend to have bias.
There's a well known bias that people are 10x as likely to complain about a problem than praise a product working well. So even IF there were equal amounts of people with noisy interiors versus quiet on the forums, you'd discount the number of "complainers" so in actuality that data would prove empirically that people were, in general, happy about their interiors.

Sucks that OP's car turned out on the crap end of the pile but we're talking about the same basic interior elements that are sold on a $30K 228/30. Opting for leather which is the only real option wouldn't change a single thing from a noise perspective. So a fully loaded $50K+ M240 has the same basic internally elements as a car costing 2/3 as much. It's not going to be as quiet as a S63 AMG coupe, it's just not.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      04-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

I don't have any rattles or creaks in my 2015. Only issue is the top of the steering wheel is starting to fade. But other than that no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

I haven't driven a car that doesn't creak or rattle somewhere. You may think that means I have low expectations but no, it drives me nuts too. I just seek out the source of the noise and fix it myself. Usually just needs a good cleaning, a piece of tape strategically and inconspicuously placed, or a bit of mineral oil between cracks.

That reminds me, my 340i's steering wheel buttons are creaking a bit and I need to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Some of the noises I can deal with, meanwhile others are just so blatantly obvious and annoying that I can't fathom how the car could have such inferior parts.

I WISH I would've gotten a moonroof delete on this car because the majority of the noise that bothers me to no end comes from that section of the car. I'm hoping replacing the shade fixes a lot of the noise...but if it doesn't, where should I be lubing / telling the dealer to lube / check out on the moonroof?

I can literally re-create the cracking sound by just touching the shade with my finger...but once I tap that section, it's quiet afterwards and the noise moves to another section of the shade. I picked up some Gummi Flege (sp?) and looking to try and troubleshoot some of these issues myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Knock on wood - after 3 months of ownership zero rattles and creaks. No complaints here. My wife's X1 is also rattle free after just under two years.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

The material choices for the interior are certainly not as "premium" as my previous E90 from 2008. Also, the doors are not closing with the same satisfying sound.
Nevertheless, in two years of ownership and 20,000 miles I have yet to encounter any rattle or unwanted noise.
For now, I am pretty sure I will buy again a 2 Series when the next generation comes out - that time it will be a M2XX Convertible though.
      04-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Mine has had its share of squeaks and rattles, but I mean, come on you can not protect against these indefinitely. The dealer has been relatively good at fixing mine. On top of that I wouldn't call it complete junk, Ive been in Benzes, lexus, Infinity cars all have their share of problems. Again a 50k car nowdays is not that luxurious. Keeping in mind you can get a Honda Accord up into the low 40s, and a Camaro to cross 50k, not sure what is a realistic expectation of overall quietness.

Even with the squeaks and rattles, I would not call this a terrible interior. Not enough to make me not buy another bimmer at least.

I really have to think that you might have been given kind of a lemon.
      04-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

I have to agree with the OP on this one. My cars nickname is "Rattle Trap" because all I hear is interior rattle.

I have made 3 separate visits to the dealer to get it sorted. I have had the driver and passenger doors checked, the upper dashboard by the instrument cluster fixed, the center console fixed, and the rear plastic panel under the rear glass fixed (twice). The problem is they are never "fixed". They continue to rattle, vibrate, squeak and pop. And even worse, more shit rattles after the dealer tears everything apart to fix the original issue. So I am just going to give up at this point and learn to live with it.

My previous vehicle, a 2008 4Runner with 100,000 miles didn't have a single rattle, so my 235i with 15,000 miles with a sea of rattles is very disappointing to say the least. Its by far my biggest complaint. My dads E60 M5 which he has owned since 2006 doesn't have rattles, and he has 70,000 miles on the clock. There is definitely a decrease in quality in the hard plastics in these cars.

I am too a hardcore BMW fan, but I have been completely maddened by this. It's going to be really hard to pull the trigger on another BMW. But, being that these things are just too much fun to drive, I will probably buy another one after the 235i and give it another shot. You can't be completely discouraged by one experience!

Last edited by aelarson; 04-11-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Closed Thread