THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any Way to Change Car Shut Off Procedures?

04-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #45
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I have reservations about a sequence that closes the garage door before the engine is shut off. With AutoStartStop enabled, the engine shutoff step could easily be overlooked. If the garage is attached to a dwelling, the results could be deadly.
I don't think you should be concerned about this.

With AutoStartStop enabled and the engine in standby, the car should automatically turn off in a few minutes if it is in 'P', and especially if you lock the doors. At least that how it is in Eco mode.

I found this feature annoying when I was just jumping out to grab something and had to restart the car upon returning, but now I realize this may actually be a safety feature too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
It is mentioned on mine, it states;

"Component Protection • After-running of electric coolant pump = improved heat dissipation from engine switch off point. Allows protection of turbochargers by reduced oil coking during heat soak."

Letting the turbos cool, either via an easy run for a few kilometers or a short idle before shutdown hurts nothing and adds protection. Better safe than sorry...
First of all, there is something wrong with your "quote" because BMW owner's manuals don't have an equals sign in the middle of a sentence, but I am curious about what it actually says. Second, I think you're misunderstanding what that says. It's saying the car will continue to run the electric water pump AFTER you turn off the engine, if necessary. It's not saying that you should run the engine longer to cool the turbos.

Also, running the engine does waste fuel and pollute the environment, so to say that it "hurts nothing" is a mischaracterization. As far as adding protection, there is literally no evidence to support that claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #47
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Can it be coded so one pull of the handle unlocks and opens the door?
Not exactly. You can code the doors to unlock when the car goes into park, and then a single pull will open the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #48
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Not exactly. You can code the doors to unlock when the car goes into park, and then a single pull will open the door.
Well that blows...

There are times I have to park in some shady areas... And I'd like my car to stay locked till I ready to get out... And this double pull thing drives me crazy.. because most times, I'm not in these shady areas.

BTW, my buddy told me to get a helmet because I might get stabbed in the head through the soft top. LOL
      04-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #49
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Well that blows...

There are times I have to park in some shady areas... And I'd like my car to stay locked till I ready to get out... And this double pull thing drives me crazy.. because most times, I'm not in these shady areas.

BTW, my buddy told me to get a helmet because I might get stabbed in the head through the soft top. LOL
just don't turn the car off till you are ready to get out and it will not unlock
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #50
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

So what do you guys with manuals do? I'm on my ED right now and I came from a automatic F32 so the two button off sequence is normal to me, but having a clutch is not . Do you guys press the off button the first time with both feet on the brake pedal and clutch, then take both feet off and press it again? Or park in neutral, turn off the car the way you would in an automatic, and then put the car in gear incentive it is off?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #51
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

I don't see how it's any different than any manual. Neutral, hand brake, feet off, turn off, put in gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #52
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Clutch pedal in,foot on brake, set E-brake,press button,clutch pedal out, press button again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #53
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
Clutch pedal in,foot on brake, set E-brake,press button,clutch pedal out, press button again.
Similar to drive-up ATM procedure:

1. Enter PIN
2. Enter $ amount
3. Take cash
4. Drive away
5. Take next on ramp
6. Release parking brake

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #54
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Just think of it this way:

The first press puts the car into park, so it's not really an increased number of actions that you have the take because it replaces the need to put it into P. Instead of pressing one button to put it into park, and then pressing another button somewhere else to shut the car off, you just press one single button twice.
Yes, if you have AT. Otherwise, not. And the MT sequence is a little fussier. If you engage the clutch after stopping with the car in gear and the engine running, you'll kill it with a lurch. So: clutch in, then one press, then clutch out for second press, or else neutral first, then engage first or reverse after engine stops; and if you depress the clutch to make that shift, be sure to release it again before this second press, otherwise you're starting over.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #55
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Yes, if you have AT. Otherwise, not. And the MT sequence is a little fussier. If you engage the clutch after stopping with the car in gear and the engine running, you'll kill it with a lurch. So: clutch in, then one press, then clutch out for second press, or else neutral first, then engage first or reverse after engine stops; and if you depress the clutch to make that shift, be sure to release it again before this second press, otherwise you're starting over.
I'm missing something here. When I pull into my garage or a parking spot:

1) Stop with right foot, while depressing clutch
2) Shift into neutral holding right foot on brake
3) Release clutch
4) Lift parking brake
5) Press ignition button once to turn off engine
6) Engage 1st or reverse depending on any slope in the ground.
Total time = ~ 3 seconds.

Why are you having to press the ignition button twice?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #56
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For me, it's to shut off the idrive immediately, rather than having it shut itself off in 5 minutes or what ever the time is.
Appreciate 1
raleedy160.00
      07-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #57
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Similar to drive-up ATM procedure:

1. Enter PIN
2. Enter $ amount
3. Take cash
4. Drive away
5. Take next on ramp
6. Release parking brake
Except it's easier on the bank account. (and your e-brake)

Last edited by Tpeterson; 07-23-2017 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #58
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'm missing something here. When I pull into my garage or a parking spot:

1) Stop with right foot, while depressing clutch
2) Shift into neutral holding right foot on brake
3) Release clutch
4) Lift parking brake
5) Press ignition button once to turn off engine
6) Engage 1st or reverse depending on any slope in the ground.
Total time = ~ 3 seconds.

Why are you having to press the ignition button twice?
First off, I have the automatic transmission.

1. Press brake pedal until stopped.
2. Push the "P" for Park button.
3. Set parking brake.
4. Push "Start" button twice (the first push stops the engine. The second push shuts off the screen and other electrics).
5. Pull door handle twice to exit vehicle.

Just the way it is. I've done it so many times, I don't even have to think about it anymore. Habit.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #59
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
First off, I have the automatic transmission.

1. Press brake pedal until stopped.
2. Push the "P" for Park button.
3. Set parking brake.
4. Push "Start" button twice (the first push stops the engine. The second push shuts off the screen and other electrics).
5. Pull door handle twice to exit vehicle.

Just the way it is. I've done it so many times, I don't even have to think about it anymore. Habit.
Yes, I understand. I was reacting to Raleedy just above my post. Now that I think back, I believe the whole "second push" issue was resolved with coding soon after I got the vehicle...three years ago, so slipped my mind at first. Radio off and door unlock/open on first door handle pull. I agree it's down to a subconscious habit, but the coding really made it seem friendlier before it became an automatic behavior.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #60
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Yes, I understand. I was reacting to Raleedy just above my post. Now that I think back, I believe the whole "second push" issue was resolved with coding soon after I got the vehicle...three years ago, so slipped my mind at first. Radio off and door unlock/open on first door handle pull. I agree it's down to a subconscious habit, but the coding really made it seem friendlier before it became an automatic behavior.
Coded it out before a full month of ownership. I hated the double press. It's pretty awesome now. I even have my seat slide back a bit when I turn the car off. It slides back into position when I turn the car on.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #61
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
There is no need to press the Park button when turning off the engine. Pressing the START button will put the transmission in Park when it turns off the engine.
And if you routinely lock the car when you exit, locking will turn off the ignition and accessories.
So under most circumstances one press is enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #62
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Holy thread rescue! What's the "coding" being referred to? Something additional that needs to be added or just operator/driver reconfiguration? The double push is annoying and I want it to work like my other car.... push to stop, radio stays on until driver's door is opened, one pull to open door.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #63
19bis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i; 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Holy thread rescue! What's the "coding" being referred to? Something additional that needs to be added or just operator/driver reconfiguration? The double push is annoying and I want it to work like my other car.... push to stop, radio stays on until driver's door is opened, one pull to open door.
Check the coding threads - it's one of the basic parameters in FEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #64
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
Check the coding threads - it's one of the basic parameters in FEM.
Thanks ..... if anyone's interested:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #65
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can it be coded so one pull of the handle unlocks and opens the door?
Indirectly, using the iDrive setting to drive with doors unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #66
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I never liked a system that produces a different result from the same press of the same button depending on the state of something else that is not shown. The START button has at least four functions: (1) energizing the electrical system; (2) the start engine sequence; (3) engine stop; and (4) shutting down the electrical system. I think this is bad ergonomics, even without regard to the need to unlock the doors before you can open them.
Appreciate 0