THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2016 m235xi Run Flat Disaster

07-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #67
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Actually, I think they do this all the time. The dealer thinks, "This customer needs to buy a model and specification out of my existing inventory."
As a former business owner and general manager, I can easily envision customers getting steered towards a particular model or models on the lot. I can't say for certain, but I imagine dealers "floor" most or all of their inventory through credit companies. In other words, the dealer most likely does not own his inventory - it sits on his lot on credit. And that credit line has time limits on each car or each fleet order. It is also possible (or likely) that when the dealer placed his car order, the factory gave him some "free" flooring time: something in the order of 90 days; 180 days; perhaps a year. During that time, the dealer pays no interest to his flooring company (credit company). So, you can imagine what is on the dealers mind when some of his inventory is getting "old" and the no "interest payment time period" is about to expire on certain vehicles.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #68
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

To echo other posters and add my personal experience; NYC roads are utter shit. I hit a pothole so deep it bent a control arm and caused an egg on the tire. That was on a Mazda 3 with 205/55 R16s. I'd never dream of running a 245/35 R18 if I were driving around that area.

You ever been to Germany? That car is really designed for those roads, which aren't anything like the roads around NY.

OP keep us posted. BTW how much did you spend so far?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #69
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I went through 5 in a year. Got the optional lower profile tires. Helps if you put more psi in the tires. Otherwise, I have to drive very carefully, and if I have to go over any pothole, do it at the slowest speed possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #70
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaketh View Post
To echo other posters and add my personal experience; NYC roads are utter shit. I hit a pothole so deep it bent a control arm and caused an egg on the tire. That was on a Mazda 3 with 205/55 R16s. I'd never dream of running a 245/35 R18 if I were driving around that area.

You ever been to Germany? That car is really designed for those roads, which aren't anything like the roads around NY.

OP keep us posted. BTW how much did you spend so far?
Exactly, I think with RFTs it might not bubble up because of the reinforced sidewall, but the fact he had all 4 tires go flat is a dead set indicator (at least to me) that it was something to do with impact rather than tire failure.

Statistically speaking, it is so unlikely (even if there was a defect) that all 4 tires would fail at around the same time.
      07-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #71
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i had 1 blow out with the oem perellis, sidewall bubbled and popped.

The tires are horrible, but theres no way you should have that many in such a short period of time.

How much air are you running, 90psi?
Attached Images

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0