THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2017 vs. 2018 2-series

07-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #23
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
First, thanks for the very informative post Doctor Jones.

Second, and I'm not just saying this because I've been looking at it every day for the past 7 months, but I truly do prefer the passengers side interior of my 2017 model (which is pretty much the same as everything dating back to the beginning as far as I can tell). I just don't like the way the trim and glove box look in these pictures.
Aw shucks, thx Harma24. I agree the change made to the trim for 2018 is arguably (and that's debatable) on par but certainly not an improvement over those for 2017.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycaptain View Post
Found out last week that my new order which is 2 months away is going to be the updated lci edition. Dealer confirmed led lights, digital display and about 1-2k premium over the old model but I'm not sure the price increase was directly related to the end of year sales or just their pricing on the newer lci edition.

Very happy with the led's, they are brighter and give better lighting to the sides of the vehicle which will help me in country driving. Distance should be similar to xenon.

Digital display, prefer the old set up.

Regardless of a price increase or not, since it's an lci edition it will hold its value slightly better. Well going by previous sales and models here in Australia that is.

Digital display as in @ fifty MPH it reads 50 rather than a needle pointing at fifty on the dial?

If that is the case, I much prefer it to the needle and dial. A quick glance and you know your speed. Needle and dial takes me more than just a quick glance to check speed and unless needle is pegged to an actual number, the in-between spaces give you a approximation at best.

A shame there wasn't a NA option to get the digital speed to display in the small numbers beneath the speedo dial (without getting the car coded).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #25
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Digital display as in @ fifty MPH it reads 50 rather than a needle pointing at fifty on the dial?

If that is the case, I much prefer it to the needle and dial. A quick glance and you know your speed. Needle and dial takes me more than just a quick glance to check speed and unless needle is pegged to an actual number, the in-between spaces give you a approximation at best.

A shame there wasn't a NA option to get the digital speed to display in the small numbers beneath the speedo dial (without getting the car coded).
I believe I have read the 2018 LCI 2 Series has a digital / graphical display that looks like the physical gauges in the 2017 and older 2 Series, somewhat similar to but not quite as advanced or comprehensive, the new Audi displays.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #26
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Found out last week that my new order which is 2 months away is going to be the updated lci edition. Dealer confirmed led lights, digital display and about 1-2k premium over the old model but I'm not sure the price increase was directly related to the end of year sales or just their pricing on the newer lci edition.

Very happy with the led's, they are brighter and give better lighting to the sides of the vehicle which will help me in country driving. Distance should be similar to xenon.

Regardless of a price increase or not, since it's an lci edition it will hold its value slightly better. Well going by previous sales and models here in Australia that is.
Actually LED headlights are not as good as HID. They don't throw light as far so in a country lane setting they are least desireable
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #27
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Unless you're in love with one of the new colors I dont know why anyone would hold off for the 2018
I understand some of the stand alone options are now in packages for 2018 (more $).

As a buyer (not a lessee), I tend to go w/ the latest model available. I'd get 5 months of driving a 2018 in 2017..so from a value stand point, it makes sense to me.

Nothing in the new models makes me sorry to own my 2017 M240i.

I still think the BMW 2 series is a great car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #28
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:

Are you sure the 2018 get the full digital display? Similar to the optional full digital display on current 5-series and up? Really not a fan of that, prefer analog gauges. To me it's like comparing a nice Swiss automatic watch like Omega with a Casio...

Regarding LED headlights having the same distance as HID headlights, I really hope BMW figured this out. When Ford switched their higher-end offerings from HIDs to LEDs, people complained that beam length was not as good as HIDs, although side lighting was better. Talking to a buddy who is a Ford engineer, it was more of a cost cutting move as LEDs are cheaper to manufacture (less moving parts, etc).

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #29
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOETO View Post
Are you sure the 2018 get the full digital display? Similar to the optional full digital display on current 5-series and up? Really not a fan of that, prefer analog gauges. To me it's like comparing a nice Swiss automatic watch like Omega with a Casio...

Regarding LED headlights having the same distance as HID headlights, I really hope BMW figured this out. When Ford switched their higher-end offerings from HIDs to LEDs, people complained that beam length was not as good as HIDs, although side lighting was better. Talking to a buddy who is a Ford engineer, it was more of a cost cutting move as LEDs are cheaper to manufacture (less moving parts, etc).
I think the LED switch is just a cost cutting move and design element.
Appreciate 1
CAMOETO140.00
      07-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #30
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

They got rid of the manual, everything else suddenly becomes irrelevant to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #31
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidu View Post
They got rid of the manual, everything else suddenly becomes irrelevant to me.
I know. I felt the same way about vent windows
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #32
Skycaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOETO View Post

I really don't know what the digital display will look like as yet, I've seen a couple different pics through YouTube and internet but won't know till it arrives. Dealer did confirm in writing that I'll be getting the display, I'll post a pic in roughly 2 months when it arrives. I agree the omega is much nicer than the Casio any day.

Also hoping the LEDs are of similar distance as the replacement xenons, we won't know until the are tested back to back. I have watched some YouTube vids comparing the 2 lights on other cars and distance didn't seem to be an issue as others are stating here. As long as I can see those kangaroos bout to jump into my car I'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
Skycaptain
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I believe I have read the 2018 LCI 2 Series has a digital / graphical display that looks like the physical gauges in the 2017 and older 2 Series, somewhat similar to but not quite as advanced or comprehensive, the new Audi displays.
This is what I have seen in the vid/ pics as well, digital/graphical display that looks like the old gauges.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #34
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
I really don't know what the digital display will look like as yet, I've seen a couple different pics through YouTube and internet but won't know till it arrives. Dealer did confirm in writing that I'll be getting the display, I'll post a pic in roughly 2 months when it arrives. I agree the omega is much nicer than the Casio any day.

Also hoping the LEDs are of similar distance as the replacement xenons, we won't know until the are tested back to back. I have watched some YouTube vids comparing the 2 lights on other cars and distance didn't seem to be an issue as others are stating here. As long as I can see those kangaroos bout to jump into my car I'll be happy.
I'm sure whatever differences there are, they won't change your ownership experience since the LCI updates are so minor. It's a great car whatever way, and LCI is sure to hold value better as you previously mentioned, enjoy!

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #35
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
Some thoughts.
1. The article appears to be for the Euro version. Who knows what BMW USA will get.
2. Will Seaside Blue replace Estoril and, if so, will it still only be available if you get the M package?
3. Not seeing much difference between Deep Sea and Med?
4. Same with the oranges. However, orange was is not an option on the M240 in 2017 and is shown on an M240 in the photos.
5. Love the new leather color. IMO all manufacturers should offer a classic saddle color. Terra is too dark. An orange 240 with saddle seats and a brown top would be a killer combo for me.
6. Don't understand why all manufacturers do not offer black rims with metal face cuts. It is the best way to minimize the ugliness of brake dust and all you have to do between washes is wipe off the metal cuts and still look good.

I give BMW USA kudos for providing a wide selection of paint and interior colors. AS opposed to Audi which typically offers only 2-3 seat colors and 7 shades of monochromatic paint along with a red, a blue, and maybe some other color in all their model lines.
Placed that order this week. X drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #36
Skycaptain
Private
Rep

These photos are from the m135i/140/235/240 Facebook page. In the comments the guy that took the photos said it can display the engine/oil temp where the time/date/mpg are shown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #37
Skycaptain
Private
Rep

M240i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #38
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

A member received their LCI m2. I'm confident that his gauges are the same as in the new LCI 2ers, other than another m logo. There's a post on the first page, he took a video of what the gauges and interior looks like

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1404939
Appreciate 0