THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Covering my interior trim in real Carbon Fiber

06-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Covering my interior trim in real Carbon Fiber

Finding out that the M2 carbon fiber interior bits are gonna run about $500-$700 (depending on the vendor), and retail for well over a grand, I thought I'd have a go at covering my interior bits in carbon fiber myself.

Not the vinyl shite out there. Bad enough we're using veneer - even worse if we use (cough!) vinyl.

Attached a pic of my first try - the driver's side door handle. I did not paint the aluminum hex trim, either. I only cleaned it with denatured alcohol to ensure no grease. The silver trim does not show through.

How much did it all cost? Less than $85.

$59.94 for the REAL carbon fiber fabric ($35.99 for the CF; $23.95 for S&H).
$12 for the 3M heavy duty spray adhesive
$6.50 for the satin clear coat
$2 for 2 foam applicators
$3.99 for contact cement

The price for the carbon fiber fabric is the lowest I found for the size (1 yard is the minimum at every vendor I checked) and lemme tell ya - you get way more than you'll need to cover your parts. In fact, you'll feel like covering everything in CF, you get so much.

How easy is it to do? Very. So easy, I don't have to put any directions in this post. If you can put your pants on correctly, or if you can wrap your parts in <giggle> vinyl, you can wrap in CF fabric.

I will take pics of the interior & the parts when all parts are done & installed. Just took some initial pics so you can see how it looks. If you're thinking of vinyl or buying the CF BMW parts, maybe this post will inspire you to DIY with the real McCoy.

And then you feel justified in spending the cash you saved on say... engine mods!

Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Nice!

Curious to see how this holds up over time with just the clear coat. Are you afraid the weave will move at all or does the contact cement have it down solid?

I've skinned a couple interior pieces using the carbon fiber fabric in my Camaro (because yeah, its a lot cheaper to DIY), however I epoxied it and polished the heck out of it to get a gloss finish (center console cover and lower door threshold trims in photo below for example). Are the dry carbon parts you can buy from BMW finished with a satin epoxy?

Time to experiment with all the leftover fabric I have.....
Attached Images

Last edited by DailySleeper; 06-26-2017 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailySleeper View Post
Nice!

Curious to see how this holds up over time with just the clear coat. Are you afraid the weave will move at all or does the contact cement have it down solid?

I think it will hold up OK - at least as long as I plan on owning the car. I'd just buy the OEM stock aluminum trim parts if anything happens.

I can say the CF fabric will not move - it is down firm with the adhesive & once clear coated, CF fabric firmed right up, as hard as plastic.

I was able to use a file to sand down any nibs flat. The finished part (all are not done yet) came out great & is smooth. I used a satin finish clear & it's nice - has a nice texture, almost like the OEM dry CF parts.

Not going to claim it's as nice as the OEM CF parts, but it looks great & it's real CF vs the vinyl stickers.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Subscribed! Love these DIYs!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

This is pretty awesome! Did you use a UV stable satin clear coat? That would be my only concern with sunlight over the months and years
Appreciate 0