THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes H&R Sports springs popping sound

05-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
bulletrs
M-OCD
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

H&R Sports springs popping sound

My dealer installed H&R sports springs for me on my '15 M235i with adaptive suspension. Now the car makes a popping sound on the frontleftside when turning the wheel on standstill or while parking.

My BMW dealer has swapped the complete suspension on the frontleft side but the popping is still there. According to them it is probably the frontleft spring causing the issue, it is definately properly assembled. The frontleft spring also seems to be a little higher in measurement (4mm). Don't know if that could cause it.

What do you guys think could be the problem?

2015 F22 M235i N55 EWG | M Performance | 18" VMR710 | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | MHD Tune | XHP Tune | GFB DV+ T9356 | NGK SILZKBR8D8S 0,5mm | Wagner DownP | Wagner EVO2 Performance Intercooler | VRSF Chargepipe | M Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
Amiliaus
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletrs View Post
My dealer installed H&R sports springs for me on my '15 M235i with adaptive suspension. Now the car makes a popping sound on the frontleftside when turning the wheel on standstill or while parking.

My BMW dealer has swapped the complete suspension on the frontleft side but the popping is still there. According to them it is probably the frontleft spring causing the issue, it is definately properly assembled. The frontleft spring also seems to be a little higher in measurement (4mm). Don't know if that could cause it.

What do you guys think could be the problem?
If it were me I would take it to another shop and get a second opinion (that would be driving me nuts). Are they not helping you out any more?!? I found a couple other posts though which could be similar, possibly a bad strut mount. May visually look fine and wont make the noise if not under load.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1128635

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=strut+mount

YouTube vid of a totally different car with bad strut mounts whether or not it would be a fair comparison I do not know. Good luck. Hopefully you can get it sorted soon.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
bulletrs
M-OCD
Netherlands
Rep

I ordered a seperate spring from H&R to rule out the spring. The complete suspension including strut mount has already been replaced. The BMW dealer has done this, i would sure hope they know what they are doing...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
sbertsch92
Rep
Drives: M235i

The strut isn't fully tightened. Look at the upper mounting bracket on the side of the car that is making the noise. Hold the nut secure while you tighten the strut down further. I used vice grips and a socket to keep the nut secure while I did the tightening. Problem solved.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      05-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #5
sbertsch92
Rep
Drives: M235i

I had the same popping sound right after I installed both springs myself. I neglected to fully tighten them and it resulting in popping on both sides while turning at very low speeds and while going over speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
bulletrs
M-OCD
Netherlands
Rep

Sbertsch92: do you mean to tighten the nut on top mount in the middle of the mounting bracket? With the torx and nut? Can you make a pic? Thanks! 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
bulletrs
M-OCD
Netherlands
Rep

I don't have the issue when going over speed bumps, only when turning at standstill or very low speed. I have checked the nut at the top mount and it is fully tightened. I am clueless.

2015 F22 M235i N55 EWG | M Performance | 18" VMR710 | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | MHD Tune | XHP Tune | GFB DV+ T9356 | NGK SILZKBR8D8S 0,5mm | Wagner DownP | Wagner EVO2 Performance Intercooler | VRSF Chargepipe | M Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
bulletrs
M-OCD
Netherlands
Rep

Btw, here is a youtube video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/q76tAcEkHgA
Appreciate 0