THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: Free Flow Exhaust / Mid-Pipe (F22 M240i)

12-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #177
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Shouldn't be. Sounds like something is hitting and once it gets hot the exhaust is growing away from whatever it is hitting. Should take it back to the installer to check out but again it sounds like its probably a clearance issue and just needs to be adjusted slightly.
I noticed the same issue when it's cold in the morning. Is it better to make the final adjustment when it's cold? Also... There's a tight squeeze between the cross member and the heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #178
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuQutaita View Post
I got this installed on Tuesday, and for the most part, it sounds awesome. I've noticed that under hard braking though, there's a rather noticeable vibration/buzzing sound audible in the cabin. I'm assuming that's not expected... any tips on what to do to fix it? My first thought is that there's not enough clearance between the rear midpipe and the cross member, but I wasn't sure why it was only making this noise when braking.
Not expected. I personally can't think of a reason why it would only occur under heavy breaking though unless the contact point in the way it is currently adjusted is in some magical sweet spot. If its a buzzing though its most likely something resting against a heat shield as that is what tends to produce that noise. Probably a clamp that is oriented improperly-- but I still find it odd it would only happen under heavy braking so it may be something else altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
I noticed the same issue when it's cold in the morning. Is it better to make the final adjustment when it's cold? Also... There's a tight squeeze between the cross member and the heat shield.
Adjustments should be done cold and then the car rallied so the piping can get hot and grow to test both ends of the spectrum. If when its cold there is very little room between the pipe and the cross member make sure the forward pipe is not drooping and rotate accordingly if it id so it is not sagging. Once that is level, the rear pipe is the one that will rotate to adjust the clearance over the cross brace. When cold there should be just under 1/2" of clearance there (when it gets hot it grows upward). This is all outlined in step 5 and 6 of the install instructions.

The other relatively common error that seems to be propping up again lately is the incorrect orientation of the clamps. The adjustment side should be facing the center of the car. Any other orientation you run the risk upon growing of it rubbing against the heatshield.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #179
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not expected. I personally can't think of a reason why it would only occur under heavy breaking though unless the contact point in the way it is currently adjusted is in some magical sweet spot. If its a buzzing though its most likely something resting against a heat shield as that is what tends to produce that noise. Probably a clamp that is oriented improperly-- but I still find it odd it would only happen under heavy braking so it may be something else altogether.

Adjustments should be done cold and then the car rallied so the piping can get hot and grow to test both ends of the spectrum. If when its cold there is very little room between the pipe and the cross member make sure the forward pipe is not drooping and rotate accordingly if it id so it is not sagging. Once that is level, the rear pipe is the one that will rotate to adjust the clearance over the cross brace. When cold there should be just under 1/2" of clearance there (when it gets hot it grows upward). This is all outlined in step 5 and 6 of the install instructions.

The other relatively common error that seems to be propping up again lately is the incorrect orientation of the clamps. The adjustment side should be facing the center of the car. Any other orientation you run the risk upon growing of it rubbing against the heatshield.
I think the clamps not facing the center of the car was the culprit in my situation. They were pointing downwards, but twisted too high, which caused it to sometimes run against the heat shield when things got warmed up.

After a second trip to the exhaust shop, no more rattling, either from the cross member or heat shield
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #180
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuQutaita View Post
I think the clamps not facing the center of the car was the culprit in my situation. They were pointing downwards, but twisted too high, which caused it to sometimes run against the heat shield when things got warmed up.

After a second trip to the exhaust shop, no more rattling, either from the cross member or heat shield
Excellent. Glad it got resolved and you can fully enjoy the system now. =)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #181
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I readjusted mine this morning after it was cold and had been sitting all night. Success! Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0