THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Do you regret getting the 6MT

01-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #111
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Stick is for entertainment. AT is for performance.
Appreciate 1
e30jim62.00
      01-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #112
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Stick is for entertainment. AT is for performance.
Bingo! The most succinct and accurate summation!

Entertain me, BMW!
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #113
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I am now regretting my 6MT purchase. Back in early January, I broke my left foot (Jones fracture) when landing on someone else's foot during a volleyball play. Early last week I had surgery to insert a screw into a bone to seal the fracture. I'm non-weight bearing through mid-March thus I can't drive a stick until that time. I'm really missing my car. I just go in the garage now and stare at it
      02-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #114
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I am now regretting my 6MT purchase. Back in early January, I broke my left foot (Jones fracture) when landing on someone else's foot during a volleyball play. Early last week I had surgery to insert a screw into a bone to seal the fracture. I'm non-weight bearing through mid-March thus I can't drive a stick until that time. I'm really missing my car. I just go in the garage now and stare at it
Sorry to hear it. Fractures heal. Hope you're be back in the saddle (literally) again soon. Just think of how much fun things will be once you're healed.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear

Last edited by p912guy; 02-28-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #115
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Oh, man! As a fellow 3-pedaler and someone who has had that same bone break (but on my right foot.. and not technically a Jones fracture i.e. no surgery or screw required for it to heal), I feel your pain. Think of it this way. If it was your right foot, you wouldn't be able to drive anything at all! It could always be worse. Hope you feel better soon!
      02-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #116
TheBobmanNH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Quote:
I had a bursitis flare-up in my right shoulder recently. Similar issue w.r.t. driving stick -- even after it mostly healed, fifth gear was painful. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #117
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

The 6MT is one of the easiest manual transmission cars I've ever driven in my life. I absolutely love it and it is almost impossible to stall... (Have yet to do so). After driving a Subaru STI, this is a breath of fresh air.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:50 AM   #118
haggag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I would like to tell my opinion. I bought a used 2015 m235i 8AT about 3 weeks ago.

I am a manual guy and I've been driving an auto for a couple of years while in college and I was counting the days until I get a new car and that it will definitely be manual.

I test drove a 228I 6MT with THP. I was disappointed. don't get me wrong, the car is awesome in corners and balance, and it is fast, but I did not enjoy the transmission at all. the clutch felt nice, the lever reminded me of old Mercedes cars, seemed the cables/linkages were dampened with rubber bits, but overall it was ok, what really disappointed me was that I did not get the satisfaction that I was used to with manual cars. the engine is so quite and the torque curve is so flat that I did not enjoy the traditional build up of power you typically feel when revving a car and repeating that satisfaction after shifting to next gear, I just didn't feel it at all. other than that the 228I simply left me wanting more, so I tried the m235i, which I could only find in auto (used car)
as soon as I drove that I was just blown away, that sweet i6 is just fantastic, the engine noise is awesome (I know the ASD) and that ZF 8AT felt extremely quick shifting for me

If I had the option of 6MT I would he still went for it but I couldn't find any, so the comparison was more between 228I 6MT and 235I 8AT, and there was just no comparison. the 228 felt more balanced and lighter, but I felt that for the track I can always just get a track car

I do sometimes miss the 6MT and having a clutch, but that ZF auto is probably the best auto out there and matches the car characteristics perfectly
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #119
dsmclone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

People rarely admit to regretting a decision they make. Usually the larger the decision, the harder it is to admit a mistake. Most people have trouble even admitting it to themselves let alone someone else.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #120
Le frog
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I feel your pain. Got stung by a sting ray at the ball of my foot while surfing recently. It was the most painful drive home, and one of the times i wish I had auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #121
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclone View Post
People rarely admit to regretting a decision they make. Usually the larger the decision, the harder it is to admit a mistake. Most people have trouble even admitting it to themselves let alone someone else.
Quite true - if nobody ever regretted getting an MT, they would still be popular and the % of MT's chosen over AT would not have dropped down into the single digits. There are certainly lifelong devotes, but a lot of the MT-lovers were really expressing hate for the old AT's - now that those have improved, it isn't such a clear distinction (especially with a torque curve that looks like a tabletop).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #122
phantomcoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C Black MT Exec

6MT, no regrets! Life is too short for AT.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #123
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Love AT's for my DD's not going to lie, but can't replace the fun in rowing gears in your secondary/weekend/summer car after driving something 10x different for a few days (or months in the winter).

Best feeling having both, but if I was 12months/year and 1 car, AWD + ZF8 or Dual Clutch all day.
      03-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #124
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport Package

Any comments on how the seating position/clutch work for shorter drivers, my wife is 5'2"? I'm going to be looking for a 228i soon. My wife hasn't learned to drive manual but would like to. I've tried to teach her but the aftermarket clutch on my e30 is definitely challenging for teaching new drivers.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by SmallDave; 03-16-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #125
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Here is Chris Harris on how to position your seat and pedals to maximize the control of your car. Also how to drift an M235i. 1:30 is around where the seating position advice starts.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #126
blbroo
↓ That's Andy ↓
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & UrS6 Gone: K04 B8 A4

I would have expected the thread to be the opposite of this, questioning regret of the 8AT. I had only driven an auto for 3 out of the 26 years I've been on the road and decided on the AT with the 235. I didn't think I would ever do it, but after driving a S3, TTRS and the M235, I saw the attraction.

Not sure I could have done it,though, if I didn't have the manual project car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #127
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I traded in my ordered new 2016 228i 6MT base coupe at 38,000 miles for a new X3M40i.

I loved every mile driven in it, but the 2 series got a bit small for me as a daily driver being on call each day to pickup one or more of six grandkids so I swapped for the M40i.

No regrets on the M40i and the ZF8 auto is so good and you do have manual shifting if you'd like. The SAV is FAST and comfortable.

That being said I'll be handing down the MB 350 ML this yr. and my thought right now is going back to a 6MT but it may have to be M240i or a 440i 6MT.

Would like to see the new 3 series M340i offered in RWD 6MT but I think that any hope of that has already left the barn.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #128
oldschoolswish
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i manual RWD

I just ordered an m240i manual RWD in Canada. Dealership told me manuals are quite rare so typically not available, we had to test an auto Xdrive. I've always been a manual guy but my wife can't get used to them. After the second test drive I was really doubting myself, the auto was fun, no question about it. I can definitely see the appeal. If it weren't for the cost we were starting to really lean towards going for the auto.

Then the salesman let us out in a manual 340i so I could get a feel for what a BMW manual is like. (coming from a 11 Subaru WRX, which has a pretty awful clutch and shift feel)

I had more fun taking that 340 around a few city blocks with a manual than I did driving the auto m240i around the coast, it became an absolute defining feature of the car for me. The clutch and shifter felt great on every single change, the connection to the throttle and revs, the auto blips on downshift (I'm not skilled enough to heel toe yet), completely changed the experience from good to amazing for me. I'm hopeful the m240i will feel just as good, only be more powerful and lighter. :O

But as a result I'm waiting almost 3 months for a build slot to get my manual, there are only two in Canada that aren't sold right now but one is too far out and the other is a color and option combo I'm not into. I have no regrets about the decision though, all because of those 15 mins in a manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #129
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallDave View Post
Any comments on how the seating position/clutch work for shorter drivers, my wife is 5'2"? I'm going to be looking for a 228i soon.
Do a search on here for the thread on this - some have complained that the seat is either offset or aimed poorly, and IIRC it was most noticeable for shorter drivers (I'm 6', and think it is the best-fitting car since my old 240Z). I think if you search for something like 'seat offset' or similar. You would definitely want to have her do an extended drive to try to get a sense of if it bothers her (don't think this was exclusive to the MT, but it has been a while).

And FWIW, best to learn/teach MT on a car that you don't care so much about, preferably one rented or on a lease. They don't call it a 'money shift' for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #130
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppermanagmnt View Post
I just ordered an m240i manual RWD in Canada. Dealership told me manuals are quite rare so typically not available, we had to test an auto Xdrive. I've always been a manual guy but my wife can't get used to them. After the second test drive I was really doubting myself, the auto was fun, no question about it. I can definitely see the appeal. If it weren't for the cost we were starting to really lean towards going for the auto.

Then the salesman let us out in a manual 340i so I could get a feel for what a BMW manual is like. (coming from a 11 Subaru WRX, which has a pretty awful clutch and shift feel)

I had more fun taking that 340 around a few city blocks with a manual than I did driving the auto m240i around the coast, it became an absolute defining feature of the car for me. The clutch and shifter felt great on every single change, the connection to the throttle and revs, the auto blips on downshift (I'm not skilled enough to heel toe yet), completely changed the experience from good to amazing for me. I'm hopeful the m240i will feel just as good, only be more powerful and lighter. :O

But as a result I'm waiting almost 3 months for a build slot to get my manual, there are only two in Canada that aren't sold right now but one is too far out and the other is a color and option combo I'm not into. I have no regrets about the decision though, all because of those 15 mins in a manual.
Congratulations on the new order! I also had an WRX STI (16) and found the clutch engagement "challenging". For the record, I am a track junkie and heel/toe regularly and found the Subaru engagement to be horrible. I also hated the narrow gear ratios, combined with a narrow power band, to be anything but fun.

The BMW manual is so easy to drive; it is almost impossible to stall in the traditional sense since it just goes into auto start/stop mode and lets you get back to moving pretty quickly. Ratios are fantastic, unlike with the Subaru. It's just a super easy car to drive. Rev matching on downshifts is great as usual as the pedals are in a good spot. Great choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #131
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppermanagmnt View Post

I was in the same boat. There were no no 6MTs to drive at my local BMW dealer, thus I had to test drive the M235x. That auto is stellar and I was impressed. They would have sold me the car (they had many) at a significant discount. Even though I knew the auto was quicker and faster, I just couldn't do it because deep down, I knew I'd tire of clicking away at paddles as I did that for 7 years with a prior G35, it got old about 1.5 years, and I lied to myself for years that the auto was "better". I stuck to my guns and order my M235 6MT exactly the way I wanted it and in the end, paid a lot more for it too which I don't have an ounce of regret about because it's such a weird but awesome build.

I too was coming from a 2012 WRX hatch when I was looking at M235s. It had the SPT shifter and a weighted shift knob. I actually liked the shift feel and really liked the heavier clutch pedal. The 6MT in the M235 has a smoothness and robust feeling the WRX 5MT could never have. Once I added the M Performance shift knob, I really feel in the love with the M235's 6MT feel. I love it and it's perfect for a sporty street car in that the feel is smooth, pretty engaging and direct, good weighting, and had a cool "snick" sound and fairly short throw (once you add the MP shift knob). The clutch pedal though, I dislike a lot. It's too light, lacks much feel at the catch point, and the throw way too long at the end of it's travel. I'll be remedying this with the Ultimate Clutch Pedal. Even with the OEM clutch pedal though, the 6MT is crazy easy to heel/toe.

The 6MT might be slower, but I doesn't bother me in the least. People gush when they see that the car as a 6MT. I feel the same exact way, ALL THE TIME.
      03-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #132
oldschoolswish
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i manual RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
Congratulations on the new order! I also had an WRX STI (16) and found the clutch engagement "challenging". For the record, I am a track junkie and heel/toe regularly and found the Subaru engagement to be horrible. I also hated the narrow gear ratios, combined with a narrow power band, to be anything but fun.

The BMW manual is so easy to drive; it is almost impossible to stall in the traditional sense since it just goes into auto start/stop mode and lets you get back to moving pretty quickly. Ratios are fantastic, unlike with the Subaru. It's just a super easy car to drive. Rev matching on downshifts is great as usual as the pedals are in a good spot. Great choice!
Glad to hear a couple other former Subaru drivers find these manuals a huge improvement.

What is this auto start/stop mode, I actually didn't know about this? Does that let the car restart as soon as you take the foot off brake if you do stall? Could be useful for the Mrs to get more comfortable with the manual, I hope so anyhow, the WRX did not seem to be an easy one.
Appreciate 0