THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics audio question--USB input

10-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #23
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Be aware that the internal HDD transcodes your music files down to 256kbps. Better off just to play off the USB stick.
Not with FLAC files.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Not with FLAC files.
Explain, please. This is the first any of us have heard about this.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #25
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Sorry to pile on in here, and if the OP would rather I take this to a new thread I certainly can...

Has anybody figured out how to get the system to properly handle VA/Collection type albums? My USB-o-music (all AAC, approx 192kbps) does not work in what I'd call an acceptable manner. It seems to index correctly (I assume voice command would work although I haven't tried it), but it doesn't like collection / various artist albums. The "Artist" listing is filled with one-track artists from VA albums. Super annoying; my typical mode of music access is to pick an artist I want to hear, and then pick one (or more) of their albums; ideally the Album listing at that point is sorted chronologically, because I never remember album names but I tend to remember ordinal position (my mind is weird). It's hell to scroll through an Artist list that is extra-large due to the system's apparent inability to grok the compilation concept...

Hoping maybe someone has found a way to deal with it. Maybe it just doesn't like AAC? The files weren't created with iTunes (originally ripped with dbPoweramp as FLAC, later converted to Apple Lossless, and from there the lossy AAC was generated).

I have all of the files organized in a folder tree in a way that I can deal with them, but I'd like to be able to use the proper indexed / "Artist/Album/Track" navigation style if I can.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Not with FLAC files.
Are you saying that FLAC files are not transcoded down to 256 kbps when imported to the HDD? I'd love to see the source for that because it's not the common understanding around here.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #27
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Are you saying that FLAC files are not transcoded down to 256 kbps when imported to the HDD? I'd love to see the source for that because it's not the common understanding around here.
I backtracked and found Troppo 's post about it, which is at the end of this thread. It appears that if one loads files from a USB drive to the HDD, compression to 256Kb may not happen like it does when a CD is burned to the HDD. Thing is, "they sound very good" isn't exactly proof.

The only way to really test this is with a wiped music HDD and a USB drive with about, say, 25GB of high-quality files. If the HDD, 20GB of which is dedicated to music files, does not load all of the files, then it's safe to say the files are not compressed by iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #28
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

An update of sorts. I had the Bavsound stage one speakers installed (center, side, rear, but not subwoofers). This made for another improvement (the first being when the HK amp was switched out for the Bavsound/Bimmertech). I am now trying to figure out how to either import a DSP tuning for a 2018 F22 with Bavsound speakers or create my own (preferably without destroying the new speakers in the process).

The amp I got is the 82, not the newer 86, and so it has an auxiliary input, but the installer (Aktiv automotive) and Nelson at Bimmertech are still trying to see if there is a way to replace the USB-only setup with the USB-plus-AUX setup that the F22s used to have and to wire that into the head unit. I will report back on what they tell me.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #29
cjsansom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Sorry to pile on in here, and if the OP would rather I take this to a new thread I certainly can...

Has anybody figured out how to get the system to properly handle VA/Collection type albums? My USB-o-music (all AAC, approx 192kbps) does not work in what I'd call an acceptable manner. It seems to index correctly (I assume voice command would work although I haven't tried it), but it doesn't like collection / various artist albums.
First off, 192k? YUCK! Step up to 320k or better yet lossless. I mean c'mon, storage space is dirt cheap and plentiful now.

OK, now that I have that out of my system, how many VA album tracks do you have? Seems like even if it were 100, I would just start manually editing their ID3 tags. Just as an example SwiftMedia makes 'Music Tag Editor', but there are tons of apps (phone and Mac and PC) that will let you edit any songs ID3 info.

It really wouldn't take very long and your super annoying problem would be solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #30
cjsansom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
ctemkin
Good lord. This is why I detest Bimmertech........................................ ......

This is plainly to represent the deficiency of the new model being used, which is the loss of the analog input.......................................

Bimmertech has a history of misrepresenting its products. Sorry to see it still hasn't learned its lesson.
You 'detest' Bimmertech? A little strong don't you think? I also love the 'conspiracy theory' that Bimmertech was 'knowingly' and selectively arranging product pictures to 'cover up' the loss of the analog input.

First off I'm pretty sure Bimmertech would allow you to 'return' the amp due to your mistake. And yes I mean YOUR mistake.

Did you read ANYWHERE in the documentation on BimmerTech that the amp included analog aux in? Or did you just assume it because of what you saw it in a picture?

If your answer is the latter and not the former then I seriously warn you to stay out of fast food restaurants. You will seriously loose your shit when you see the difference in the food they give you vs the pictures they show.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsansom View Post
Quote:
ctemkin
Good lord. This is why I detest Bimmertech........................................ ......

This is plainly to represent the deficiency of the new model being used, which is the loss of the analog input.......................................

Bimmertech has a history of misrepresenting its products. Sorry to see it still hasn't learned its lesson.
You 'detest' Bimmertech? A little strong don't you think? I also love the 'conspiracy theory' that Bimmertech was 'knowingly' and selectively arranging product pictures to 'cover up' the loss of the analog input.

First off I'm pretty sure Bimmertech would allow you to 'return' the amp due to your mistake. And yes I mean YOUR mistake.

Did you read ANYWHERE in the documentation on BimmerTech that the amp included analog aux in? Or did you just assume it because of what you saw it in a picture?

If your answer is the latter and not the former then I seriously warn you to stay out of fast food restaurants. You will seriously loose your shit when you see the difference in the food they give you vs the pictures they show.
Here we go kiddies
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
cjsansom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Here we go kiddies
I know. I was weak. I gave into my baser instincts on that post. I should have 'helpfully' suggested he spend another $15 on this and $6 on this and give him the feature he's looking for.

Sorry
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #33
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know. I was weak. I gave into my baser instincts on that post. I should have 'helpfully' suggested he spend another $15 on this and $6 on this and give him the feature he's looking for.

Sorry
For future reference: Do not comment on that which you know little to nothing about.

If you feel so inclined, do a search for my S/N and "Bimmertech". Read about it.

For more future reference: Bimmertech changed the content of its website not once, but twice immediately following issues I pointed out to it on this forum.

I work in corporate retail; part of my job is to make sure things my company does, says, and shows are legal and representative of the product(s) involved. I know my stuff. Bimmertech, apparently, still doesn't.

Finally: Enjoy your Chipotle.

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #34
cjsansom
Private
Rep

Oh God

Quote:
I know my stuff.
You know your stuff??? You could learn to use a search engine to solve your 'unsolvable' issue.

MEC AUX IN With that module the BimmerTech amp will look like your precious picture.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #35
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know your stuff??? You could learn to use a search engine to solve your 'unsolvable' issue.

MEC AUX IN With that module the BimmerTech amp will look like your precious picture.
Dude, do I have to spell it out for you? Fine:

The issue isn't the solution. The issue is Bimmertech's incomplete and misleading product information that forces a consumer to come up with a solution.

One of the most important rules in business-to-consumer marketing is to do everything you can to make a business transaction as easy as possible for a consumer. Why? Two reasons:
- So the consumer doesn't walk away from the product before buying, and
- So the consumer doesn't have to solve issues after receiving the product, which makes a consumer look far less favorably on the business.

Bimmertech only understands point #2 as a reactionary step -- something it's partially forced to do because the majority its products are marketed and sold with so little practical thought, it has to solve issues after the product's been released. It's had to do that several times with the Bimmertech amp -- partially because of my feedback, and partially because of others'. That Bimmertech hasn't learned to get its steez together even after all of that is a bad sign for the business, particularly as it related to selling products internationally ...

... Which, by the way, it does quasi-legally as best I can tell, but that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

So, Mr. n00b, again: Do not comment on that which you know little to nothing about.

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      10-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #36
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
One of the most important rules in business-to-consumer marketing is to do everything you can to make a business transaction as easy as possible for a consumer. Why? Two reasons:
- So the consumer doesn't walk away from the product before buying, and
- So the consumer doesn't have to solve issues after receiving the product, which makes a consumer look far less favorably on the business.
I would add the following:

Smooth transaction + accurate complete information (easy to use product) = happy customer who can install and use product without further assistance from company. Customer calling tech support for help / clarification / whatever = money coming out of company's pocket.

Think about it. You spend $1K on an amp or whatever and install it no problem, works exactly as described and you can do it all on your own. Wonderful. Company keeps whatever margin they made on the sale. You start calling in for help guess what - that person answering the phone to talk to you is not doing so out of the goodness of his or her heart. They're being paid, by the hour, to help you when the whole problem could have been avoided per Viffermike's points in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #37
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
First off, 192k? YUCK! Step up to 320k or better yet lossless. I mean c'mon, storage space is dirt cheap and plentiful now.

OK, now that I have that out of my system, how many VA album tracks do you have? Seems like even if it were 100, I would just start manually editing their ID3 tags. Just as an example SwiftMedia makes 'Music Tag Editor', but there are tons of apps (phone and Mac and PC) that will let you edit any songs ID3 info.

It really wouldn't take very long and your super annoying problem would be solved.
First, this is 192Kbps average and it's AAC/MP4. Quite a bit better than MP3. Second, I challenge you to ABX 192 vs something higher in a car. I highly doubt that 99% of the population can tell the difference, even with a good set of headphones. I keep the originals as lossless after ripping, and then can generate whatever lossy format I want for portability. Smaller files means more can fit in a buffer, and it's easier on mobile device batteries (iPhone/etc).

Everything multi-artist is already correctly tagged as VA / Compilation, and what I can't understand is why iDrive seems to be ignoring it. Even more weird is that the behavior when the music is on an iPhone is different from when it's put on a USB stick.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.

Last edited by ZPrime; 10-30-2017 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #38
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Just found this thread as I was looking into whether or not the 2018 M240i with HK audio has an Aux input. I pick mine up on an ED in May so just planning for the next few months. Below are points I have summarized from from the thread (after filtering out the heated discussions):

1) No Aux input

2) Bavaudio has switched amps provided in their package to the Match PP86DSP which DOES NOT have an Aux input as standard

3) Match DOES have a MEC Aux input module available (https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ux-in-pp-86dsp)

4) Folks are uncertain as to how to switch from "car" to "aux" input on the amp

5) Match also sells something called the URC.3 which appears to allow for switching amp inputs... (https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/b...essories/urc.3)

6) Sounds like you need access to Match's software to designate functions on these accessories to do what we are looking for them to do.

7) This will NOT solve the "mute audio for nav directions" request, however, WILL give you direct input to the amp that can be switched between sources in order to run audio from some output device that can provide lossless audio and NOT have it go through a secondary DAC

Now, this whole solution, to me, is not perfect as it is not complete integration into the idrive system, however, it appears to be an option depending on how far you want to go.

I have just finished building a little box (2" x 4" x 1.5") with a Raspberry Pi Zero W, pHAT DAC, and a card to allow both operation from a LiPo battery and charging of the same to run Lossless audio from an analog out. This box runs on Volumio from a 64GB micro SD card and connects to my iPhone via a wifi network to act as a controller through the Volumio app. I have stored my music on the SD card.

Half of this is just to see if it can be done, however, in the end, doing all of the above, I SHOULD be able to connect this little box to the Aux In on the Match amp and select it via this URC.3. The DAC in this box will be better than any BMW internal DAC I would assume (and likely better than any Apple DAC built into their phones or ipods). I will be able to control the audio playback via my phone (while not driving, of course).

So, first question to all...do you see any reasons why it should not work with these pieces together?

Second question (and a pretty basic one considering), will I be able to run the AUX amp input but control volume from the iDrive head unit or will I need to use the manual knob on the URC.3 and/or iPhone Volumio controller app?

I know, a lot of work for what may not be a significant gain in audio quality, however, its more of a "can I do it" thing now!
Appreciate 0