THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum I kind of hate the speedo on the 2-series...

02-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #67
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
(not sure where the other poster read that a needle register fasters because once I see the number, I know, no figuring out exactly which tick mark it is near).

the truth is that all modern speedometers are very close if not downright spot on. I should also point out that many judges have ruled that the GPS speed readings are not as reliable as the actual speedometers and certainly not as good as what the police use to detect speed, i.e., radar/laser, etc.
To point 1: My point was that with a needle, you don't have to look down and "see" anything; your peripheral vision picks its relative position up. Speed isn't a metric that changes rapidly, so an alphanumeric readout for it isn't a great ergonomic detriment in a consumer road vehicle (as shown in the RX-8) and can be considered a benefit (as demonstrated in first-gen MINIs, in which BMW added a digital speed readout to the center tach for 2006 models because of consumer demand and safety concerns regarding the center-mounted analog speedo). With respect, angelbones: I've studied ergonomic and functional design (once professionally) for many years; my experience goes well beyond "reading" something.

To point 2: Correct, in that a GPS speed reading is technically an actual and predictive average with a fairly long refresh rate and window of spatial error, while a speedo reading is a real-time electromechanical measurement with refresh rates in milliseconds (same for lasers, when conditions are ideal). However, GPS technology doesn't have padding built in for those who don't appreciate (and heed) accuracy, and does automatically account for things that an electromechanical speedo can't (wheel/tire size, for one) because of how it measures. Taken together, those factors make GPS more accurate for steady speed readings, when the GPS is accurate from 10 feet and under (I did read that somewhere).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #68
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Can't be as bad as the amg speedo on the a45... The proportion is ridiculous BUT they have digital speedo as well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #69
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

I also thought the cluster was one of the weakest points on the car. Small but still important.
      02-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #70
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
I, too am biased by coming from an RX-8, so my brain may be "retrained" to a degree.

In my view, current speedometers, with their compressed displays and non-standardized orientations, are much more difficult to read than digital speedos. This is especially true when going from one car to another since 45 MPH is not going to be the same orientation in most cases. I find myself looking more than once to establish my speed when I use our Honda minivan, Mazda3 or a rental car. For my tach, temp gauge or pool pump's pressure gauge, the analog dial is much easier to process as I am in range or out of range; there are not multiple close points I'm trying to distinguish. The functional range of the 2er's speedo is only 90 degrees of the 260 or so it covers (15-75 MPH), so the difference between 25 and 35 is only a few degrees.

I'm contemplating adding an OBDII sourced display in the pod to augment the meager gauges. The display would be electronic, but the format would be analog for temp and digital for speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #71
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
I, too am biased by coming from an RX-8, so my brain may be "retrained" to a degree.

In my view, current speedometers, with their compressed displays and non-standardized orientations, are much more difficult to read than digital speedos. This is especially true when going from one car to another since 45 MPH is not going to be the same orientation in most cases. I find myself looking more than once to establish my speed when I use our Honda minivan, Mazda3 or a rental car. For my tach, temp gauge or pool pump's pressure gauge, the analog dial is much easier to process as I am in range or out of range; there are not multiple close points I'm trying to distinguish. The functional range of the 2er's speedo is only 90 degrees of the 260 or so it covers (15-75 MPH), so the difference between 25 and 35 is only a few degrees.

I'm contemplating adding an OBDII sourced display in the pod to augment the meager gauges. The display would be electronic, but the format would be analog for temp and digital for speed.
You can have the P3 gauge display the speed from the OBDII port along with tons of other things.

Thats mine showing the coolant temperature
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #72
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Can't be as bad as the amg speedo on the a45... The proportion is ridiculous BUT they have digital speedo as well...
what's wrong with that? I like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #73
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
To point 1: My point was that with a needle, you don't have to look down and "see" anything; your peripheral vision picks its relative position up. Speed isn't a metric that changes rapidly, so an alphanumeric readout for it isn't a great ergonomic detriment in a consumer road vehicle (as shown in the RX-8) and can be considered a benefit (as demonstrated in first-gen MINIs, in which BMW added a digital speed readout to the center tach for 2006 models because of consumer demand and safety concerns regarding the center-mounted analog speedo). With respect, angelbones: I've studied ergonomic and functional design (once professionally) for many years; my experience goes well beyond "reading" something.
Fair point about the peripheral vision. Doesn't change my preference, but you make a valid point.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #74
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
You can have the P3 gauge display the speed from the OBDII port along with tons of other things.

Thats mine showing the coolant temperature
That's an option I'm considering, but I'm going to wait until I get the car to see what sight lines are like.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #75
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

I agree with the folks that think BMW should have added a digital speedo some where in the cluster, for me it easier to read quickly. I will miss mine on my current GTI.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #76
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Buy heads up display if you are such a driver who cannot do without or don't buy BMW.
      02-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #77
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

I really don't see the problem with the gauges. I do like the contrast of the needle in the audi gauges, but having driven a BMW the past 5 years I feel very comfortable with the orange cluster. I like that at 90 degrees you are at 80 mph instead of having a more condensed gauge (Audi). If you care enough you should be able to code the digital speedo which should solve the problem. If that is not enough for you then make an appointment to see an eye doctor. The orange is classic BMW, but you could always get an M and have white gauges.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #78
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelL View Post
I agree with the folks that think BMW should have added a digital speedo some where in the cluster, for me it easier to read quickly. I will miss mine on my current GTI.
There is digital speed... it's just no so easy to add it....

Name:  2015-02-24_2159.png
Views: 1062
Size:  128.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #79
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
It has a digital readout. How is that unreadable?

As far as I know the digital is only when setting or altering the cruise, but looking at that I have a real hard time glancing and the speedo when driving and knowing my speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #80
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post

As far as I know the digital is only when setting or altering the cruise, but looking at that I have a real hard time glancing and the speedo when driving and knowing my speed.
I think that digital speed can be enabled through coding.
Appreciate 0