THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum I kind of hate the speedo on the 2-series...

08-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #45
asm777
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
when i had an A4, i could just leave the little LCD in between the tach and speedo on the digital speedo mode.

I wish BMW had that on the little info LCD as an option. its one thing i miss about my audi (everything else i'd say was worse... haha)
+1 that not having the digital speedo on the BMW is my biggest gripe compared to the Audi and Mercedes DIS screens.

Had my hopes up when I learned that you can code the digital speedo... got it done last night... but all it does is let you see the digital speedo as one of the options when you toggle the BC button so it's the small font on the 3rd line that can be your MPG, miles till empty, etc. =/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #46
m1cism
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm777 View Post
+1 that not having the digital speedo on the BMW is my biggest gripe compared to the Audi and Mercedes DIS screens.

Had my hopes up when I learned that you can code the digital speedo... got it done last night... but all it does is let you see the digital speedo as one of the options when you toggle the BC button so it's the small font on the 3rd line that can be your MPG, miles till empty, etc. =/
Yeah the digital speedo is crappy. At the end of the day, BMW may not have the best gauge cluster. Mercedes always had the best for me
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #47
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Speedos on BMWs sold in Canada are the absolute worst as they only have KPH markers and no MPH markers which makes car trips into the U.S. a pain-in-the-arse...
      08-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #48
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm777 View Post

second this. Huge disappointment with BMW's speedo and the BC Display speedo is just pathetic.

On the other hand, I've already loved Mercedes' digital speedo. Can't understand why BMW couldn't/wouldn't make it better.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #49
1Mike1
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

I don't know why no one else has commented but how hard do you push your car to only get a range of 170 on a full tank?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #50
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerrackham View Post
The M235i cluster is rather disappointing for a luxury car.
ENTRY LEVEL luxury car
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #51
335damn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You can code it to remove the correction....to display real speed

KOMBI 3000 BC_V_KORREKTUR aktiv nicht_aktiv
Pikcachu,
So, is that line of code that you posted only to remove the speed correction for the analog needle or does it include adding the digital speed display? If not, what code adds the digital speed display?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #52
Propanelgen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_White_and_2 View Post
Pikcachu,
So, is that line of code that you posted only to remove the speed correction for the analog needle or does it include adding the digital speed display? If not, what code adds the digital speed display?
That would be BC_DIGITAL_V_KORREKTUR
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #53
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I miss not having a HUD, I had it in my 435 and I loved the way I could always see what speed I was doing
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #54
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

The M235 speedo isn't the worst I've seen. The increments are easier to read than my Carrera, but the Carrera also has a digital speedo which I wish the BMW had. Actually, I wish it had gauges such as oil, water, etc. I find this omission pretty pathetic for the Ultimate Driving Machine.

02-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #55
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I have no idea why a digital speedo is not standard on the 2 Series (or all cars for that matter). It was standard on my 2012 MINI and I miss it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #56
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerrackham View Post
The M235i cluster is rather disappointing for a luxury car.
It's not a luxury car.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #57
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_White_and_2 View Post
Pikcachu,
This is for digital speed...

KOMBI 3000 BC_Digital_V nicht aktiv aktiv

it's on the cheatsheet also here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749

You get something similar to this below the clock time

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #58
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Ford Focus view is awful BMWs view is one of it's great selling points.
      02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #59
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

:: rolls eyes ::

Ergonomic studies consistently demonstrate that traditional needle gauges are quicker and easier for the brain to process than digital alphanumeric readouts. The biggest takeaway from these studies: your peripheral vision can track spatial relationships such as needle position, but it cannot decode language -- which alphanumeric characters are an example of. This is the reason why most F1 cars still have a row of LEDs to indicate RPMs -- the single most critical piece of engine information needed by race drivers -- on the top of the telemetric sheering wheel.

Those Audi gauges that everybody here seems to hate are actually great ergonomically because the needle color is different from the graduation (meaning, the tick marks and numbers that indicate scale and range) color, which makes the needle position easier for your brain to process. IMHO, that's the BMW gauge's glaring weakness: needle color is the same as graduation color. (FYI: Your peripheral vision can process color, but not as color -- it considers it contrast, which is fundamentally a spatial element.). All needle-gauge graduations help with is a secondary check of a metric by your senses; most of the time, your brain doesn't need them to process what the needle position is telling you because your brain remembers their placement relative to the needle in your peripheral vision.

All HUD displays do is reduce the time needed for your senses to process information that your brain still needs to decode. That's why the military adopted them in the 1970s -- when things like knowing as soon as possible when a missile was barreling down on hindquarters could mean soldiers living or dying and a multibillion-dollar aircraft surviving an attack -- and why they're considered a safety feature now.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #60
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mike1 View Post
I don't know why no one else has commented but how hard do you push your car to only get a range of 170 on a full tank?

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #61
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ergonomic studies consistently demonstrate that traditional needle gauges are quicker and easier for the brain to process than digital alphanumeric readouts. The biggest takeaway from these studies: your peripheral vision can track spatial relationships such as needle position, but it cannot decode language -- which alphanumeric characters are an example of. This is the reason why most F1 cars still have a row of LEDs to indicate RPMs -- the single most critical piece of engine information needed by race drivers -- on the top of the telemetric sheering wheel.

Those Audi gauges that everybody here seems to hate are actually great ergonomically because the needle color is different from the graduation (meaning, the tick marks and numbers that indicate scale and range) color, which makes the needle position easier for your brain to process. IMHO, that's the BMW gauge's glaring weakness: needle color is the same as graduation color. (FYI: Your peripheral vision can process color, but not as color -- it considers it contrast, which is fundamentally a spatial element.). All needle-gauge graduations help with is a secondary check of a metric by your senses; most of the time, your brain doesn't need them to process what the needle position is telling you because your brain remembers their placement relative to the needle in your peripheral vision.

All HUD displays do is reduce the time needed for your senses to process information that your brain still needs to decode. That's why the military adopted them in the 1970s -- when things like knowing as soon as possible when a missile was barreling down on hindquarters could mean soldiers living or dying and a multibillion-dollar aircraft surviving an attack -- and why they're considered a safety feature now.
You are correct, sir!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #62
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
My mother-in-laws A4 Allroad is horrid, unreadable in my opinion.

I like the 2 series speedo, but I'm a canuck.
It has a digital readout. How is that unreadable?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #63
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
I don't think expecting the speedometer to actually display the correct speed is too much to ask.
Virtually every speedo in the world reads fast by 3-5. Check with GPS app.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #64
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

Since I usually drive 80 or 90 everywhere I've never noticed
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #65
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Hmm, no. I think that the 2 series is just pretty clearly an inferior design.

A speedo should make it easy to see your exact speed at any given moment. This one doesn't do that.

Kind of surprising from zee Germans.

Yes, digital speedos really are the way to go. I loved the one on my RX-8.

Agreed that the RX-8 speedo was great. I could see my speed immediately and process it immediately (not sure where the other poster read that a needle register fasters because once I see the number, I know, no figuring out exactly which tick mark it is near). Of course, seeing it rev to 8000 rpm while doing whatever speed when shifting was a joy.

The last 4 cars I owned had a digital speedo so it was a disappointment when I got my Bimmer. I would agree that having HUD would help (tremendously).

As one whose one of my jobs it is to check the validity of speedometers, the truth is that all modern speedometers are very close if not downright spot on. I should also point out that many judges have ruled that the GPS speed readings are not as reliable as the actual speedometers and certainly not as good as what the police use to detect speed, i.e., radar/laser, etc. I had considered getting a GPS to make a HUD-like device, but I knew that the speed was only getting be an estimate and no more. Still might get one, but if I get a ticket, I'm not going to be telling the officer they're wrong because my GPS says so and so, not what your radar says.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #66
samtnel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Alpine White

My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Speedo is also off because of varying wheel diameter with tire wear.

Anyway, I like the BMW Speedo, it is clean and easy to read. The Ford thing is busy and hard to glance over with too many numbers of differing fonts, lots of brain power spent on deciphering all these useless details.
Appreciate 0