THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum cyclists: seasucker talon vs bmw roof rack

02-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
glaukopes
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

cyclists: seasucker talon vs bmw roof rack

TL;DR
My main question is how long does it take to install and remove the BMW roof rack, and is there any concern at all about wear and tear on the car, the paint, or the mounting system if it is repeatedly installed and removed?

My primary goal is that I want something that doesn't reduce gas mileage or create extra wind noise or look bad when I'm not actually transporting my bike. Therefore, I am thinking I will try to put my bike in the trunk with the seats folded down as much as possible. However, for the times when I need to pack other luggage or something like that, I think I will also need an external solution as well.

The advantages of the seasucker talon are that it's cheaper and appears to be almost instantly removable with almost no fear of damage to the car.

The advantage of the bmw roof rack is that it looks better and might be a bit more secure. There's no way it can be as quickly removable as the seasucker, but I suppose there's a chance it might be almost as quick to install.

Anyone have any experience with the BMW roof rack? How long does it take to install and remove it, and is there any concern at all about wear and tear on the car, the paint, or the mounting system if it is repeatedly installed and removed?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Edit: Nevermind I thought I was still on the F30 section. *facepalm*
      02-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukopes View Post
TL;DR
My main question is how long does it take to install and remove the BMW roof rack, and is there any concern at all about wear and tear on the car, the paint, or the mounting system if it is repeatedly installed and removed?

My primary goal is that I want something that doesn't reduce gas mileage or create extra wind noise or look bad when I'm not actually transporting my bike. Therefore, I am thinking I will try to put my bike in the trunk with the seats folded down as much as possible. However, for the times when I need to pack other luggage or something like that, I think I will also need an external solution as well.

The advantages of the seasucker talon are that it's cheaper and appears to be almost instantly removable with almost no fear of damage to the car.

The advantage of the bmw roof rack is that it looks better and might be a bit more secure. There's no way it can be as quickly removable as the seasucker, but I suppose there's a chance it might be almost as quick to install.

Anyone have any experience with the BMW roof rack? How long does it take to install and remove it, and is there any concern at all about wear and tear on the car, the paint, or the mounting system if it is repeatedly installed and removed?
To answer your question any way, it takes about 5 minutes to install or remove the BMW rack. It is just four screws that screw into the roof of the car.

There is very little chance of damaging the car when installing the rack.

I take mine on and off all the time. This is my third BMW with the current mounting arrangement and they all mounted pretty much the same. I never had a rack that became loose though they tell you to tighten the bolts every 100 miles or so. On a long trip, I tighten them once a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

The Seasucker takes less than 5 minutes to mount and less than two minutes to remove (there are some good vids on the Seasuker web site. Does not scratch. I have used it on my 428, my 228 and Chevy Volt. Just put a towel on your roof when you are mounting the bike into the rack in the event you slip so that you do not mar the roof. The Seasucker is quit minimal compared to other bike racks and you can put it in the trunk immediately after use. Just do not open the sun roof with the Seasucker attached. . Thanks for the excuse to show off my pretty blue car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep

So here are the pictures.... thought I had them on that last post..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
pete1713
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The bike isn't too shabby, either.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
BMW rack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
glaukopes
Rep

I thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone who finds this thread in the future wants more info for their own decision making process.

I went with the seasucker talon for two reasons. First it seemed like it would be quicker and easier to put on and remove, and I wanted to minimize the amount of time that a roof rack spent marring the good looks of my car. Second it was cheaper.

Previously all of my bike-hauling trips had been local, and based on that experience I think the seasucker was the best choice. However, after two out-of-town race weekends, I really wished I had a more secure rack that didn't have to be removed all the time.

Since I haven't tried both yet, my conclusion isn't certain. But based on my experience with the seasucker talon, I would say it's the better choice if all your bike trips are local day trips. But if you're going out of town, staying overnight, etc. the BMW roof rack would probably be better since I assume you could more comfortably just leave it installed overnight at the hotel or in the parking lot at the race venue etc. Removing and re-installing the seasucker every time you park the car over the course of a race weekend gets to be a real pain, and how good my car looks sitting in the parking lot really isn't my highest priority when I'm focused on my triathlon.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I'm always of the opinion that the rear wheel is so easy to remove on modern bikes that I prefer to store them internally w/ seats folded down. Granted, R&MT's bike is larger...may have to remove the seat which may be more of a pain...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I fold the seats and put a blanket down then put my 29er and road bike in. Very much hate wind noise so I'd rather take the 5min to take the wheels off.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukopes View Post
I thought I'd give a quick update in case anyone who finds this thread in the future wants more info for their own decision making process.

I went with the seasucker talon for two reasons. First it seemed like it would be quicker and easier to put on and remove, and I wanted to minimize the amount of time that a roof rack spent marring the good looks of my car. Second it was cheaper.

Previously all of my bike-hauling trips had been local, and based on that experience I think the seasucker was the best choice. However, after two out-of-town race weekends, I really wished I had a more secure rack that didn't have to be removed all the time.

Since I haven't tried both yet, my conclusion isn't certain. But based on my experience with the seasucker talon, I would say it's the better choice if all your bike trips are local day trips. But if you're going out of town, staying overnight, etc. the BMW roof rack would probably be better since I assume you could more comfortably just leave it installed overnight at the hotel or in the parking lot at the race venue etc. Removing and re-installing the seasucker every time you park the car over the course of a race weekend gets to be a real pain, and how good my car looks sitting in the parking lot really isn't my highest priority when I'm focused on my triathlon.
The BMW rack locks when it is on the car. It is 100% secure. We go on several bike tours each year and use the rack to transport the bikes to the start. I have never had a problem. The rack stays mounted to the car while we are out touring and return a week or so later.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #12
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep

I have both Seasucker and BMW, so I feel like a flicking expert . I quit using Seasucker as the rear cup made a fog mark on the roof which I had to have repaired.
The locking and very solid BMW system is the way to go. With a little practice you can have it off or on in 5 mins, no sweat. Now that I know both racks well, I would pick BMW even if the paint fogging issue had not occured. The selling point is that with the BMW, nothing touches your painted surfaces...NOTHING.

I also use the Thule 528 bike carrier with the BMW system. It has a really nifty front fork lock .... Just twist a knob and key lock. Check it out on the Thule web site.

Message me if you want a really good deal on a lightly used Seasucker!

Last edited by RobTaylor; 06-20-2015 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
[QUOTE=RobTaylor;18125008

I also use the Thule 528 bike carrier with the BMW system. It has a really nifty front fork lock .... Just twist a knob and key lock. Check it out on the Thule web site.
![/QUOTE]

The BMW bike holder locks the same way. Actually I have been told that the BMW rack and accessories are made by Thule.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
I fold the seats and put a blanket down then put my 29er and road bike in. Very much hate wind noise so I'd rather take the 5min to take the wheels off.
Could you fit 2 bikes in there?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If I am carrying only one bike, I fold down the seats and put the bike in the trunk. If I have two bike, I use my BMW rack. I couldn't fit two bikes in the trunk.
Appreciate 0