THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW configurator really irritates me !

02-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #1
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

BMW configurator really irritates me !

Really, it's enough to put one off buying a BMW !

I'm trying to configure, on the French BMW site, an M235i. I can't have the colour I want unless I downgrade to a smaller engine; if I want 19" wheels I have to take the standard 18" wheels (and do WHAT with them ?) and purchase 19" ones from the BMW Performance options, along with new tyres. Yet, on the 4 series I see that one can configure 19" wheels from the outset for just € 1200 (whereas it would cost me 3 times that just for the wheels, and that's WITHOUT the tyres).
So, with the 2 series BMW are profiteering as well as encouraging waste - not very cool for a company which apparently cares about the environment.

If I want a performance exhaust, I can't just configure it. No, I have to buy the exhaust afterwards and waste the original exhaust. It doesn't make any sense at all because I'm convinced that BMW would make more profit by encouraging purchasers to order extras at the time of purchase by offering fitment and lower prices.

The configurator is also missing various models. For example there's a 225d coupe, but no 225d convertible. And finally I'm forced to tick my choice of lease before saving the configuration when I only want to purchase outright.

What is the matter with these guys ? Is each product manager free to set prices and conditions as he wants ? Do they have a competition to see who can produce the most complicated and restrictive options lists ? Will we soon have to choose between a front wheel drive M2 equipped only with an Eco+ mode and available only in 565 permutations of grey; and a rip-snorting rear wheel drive 1.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel available only in Valencia Orange ? Will we be forced to buy a super-silent single tailpipe equipped M2 and have to spend € 10,000 to buy a proper 4 tailpipe sports exhaust ? Whereas that very same sports exhaust will be available as standard on the 1.5 diesel. When will the M2 come with 1" wide wheels as standard, I wonder ? When will it be available with 3 wheels only ? Aaaargh !!!!! Where, oh where is that fabled teutonic logic ?
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

They definitely make more money by making you pay for the original and then buying the M performance part too. I wish it wasn't so because it'd be better for all of us, but better for us isn't more money for BMW!

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

The M2 build configuration will more than likely be identical to the other M's. Or maybe, not.
      02-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

M performance parts are optional equipment.

The 19" wheels are standard factory equipment on a 4 series.

The exact same is true if you were to buy a 4 series and wanted the 20" M performance wheels. They are a dealer or port installed upgrade and you'd be under the same circumstances.

In the past, M performance parts weren't even available on the web, they had to be specified from the catalog and put together by the dealer. M performance parts are aftermarket, just like if you went out and bought a set of wheels or exhaust off any other internet site.

It would be great if the performance exhaust was a factory option, but I have to imagine the M performance parts run their own division with their own P & L and will continue to do business that way.
      02-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
They definitely make more money by making you pay for the original and then buying the M performance part too. I wish it wasn't so because it'd be better for all of us, but better for us isn't more money for BMW!
Basically what he said...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

The M235 does not need 19's
As a matter of fact, a bunch of us are running 17's for track and/or winter purposes. It makes sense that they are not offered as a standard factory options.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I agree that 17's are best for the snow, but those 19's look awfully sexy.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I agree that 17's are best for the snow, but those 19's look awfully sexy.
Actually, 17s are best for snow, ride, acceleration, braking, handling (assuming a proper tread width), fuel economy, all based on reduced rotating mass.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Will we soon have to choose between a front wheel drive M2 equipped only with an Eco+ mode and available only in 565 permutations of grey; and a rip-snorting rear wheel drive 1.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel available only in Valencia Orange ? Will we be forced to buy a super-silent single tailpipe equipped M2 and have to spend € 10,000 to buy a proper 4 tailpipe sports exhaust ? Whereas that very same sports exhaust will be available as standard on the 1.5 diesel. When will the M2 come with 1" wide wheels as standard, I wonder ? When will it be available with 3 wheels only ? Aaaargh !!!!! Where, oh where is that fabled teutonic logic ?
LOL!!!!!!!!!! This is like a great stand up routine! It's hilarious because it's true. A lot of this makes no sense at all. Yet, we keep on posting about, reading about, living, breathing and loving BMW's. We're all sick!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Really, it's enough to put one off buying a BMW !

I'm trying to configure, on the French BMW site, an M235i. I can't have the colour I want unless I downgrade to a smaller engine; if I want 19" wheels I have to take the standard 18" wheels (and do WHAT with them ?) and purchase 19" ones from the BMW Performance options, along with new tyres. Yet, on the 4 series I see that one can configure 19" wheels from the outset for just € 1200 (whereas it would cost me 3 times that just for the wheels, and that's WITHOUT the tyres).
So, with the 2 series BMW are profiteering as well as encouraging waste - not very cool for a company which apparently cares about the environment.

If I want a performance exhaust, I can't just configure it. No, I have to buy the exhaust afterwards and waste the original exhaust. It doesn't make any sense at all because I'm convinced that BMW would make more profit by encouraging purchasers to order extras at the time of purchase by offering fitment and lower prices.

The configurator is also missing various models. For example there's a 225d coupe, but no 225d convertible. And finally I'm forced to tick my choice of lease before saving the configuration when I only want to purchase outright.

What is the matter with these guys ? Is each product manager free to set prices and conditions as he wants ? Do they have a competition to see who can produce the most complicated and restrictive options lists ? Will we soon have to choose between a front wheel drive M2 equipped only with an Eco+ mode and available only in 565 permutations of grey; and a rip-snorting rear wheel drive 1.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel available only in Valencia Orange ? Will we be forced to buy a super-silent single tailpipe equipped M2 and have to spend € 10,000 to buy a proper 4 tailpipe sports exhaust ? Whereas that very same sports exhaust will be available as standard on the 1.5 diesel. When will the M2 come with 1" wide wheels as standard, I wonder ? When will it be available with 3 wheels only ? Aaaargh !!!!! Where, oh where is that fabled teutonic logic ?
I hear you and feel your frustration. I wish I could get the M235i in Valencia Orange !!! And, I wish I could select my wheels as well !
      02-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #11
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

What would be great, in addition to a fully functional online configurator, is to get a credit on standard parts if ordering M Performance upgrades. They keep the standard parts, provided you don't also want those to store or for future replacement or perhaps as a backup, and you get a chunk towards the upgrade. Less waste, less unwanted storage and money towards what you really want. Seems like a win all around as they get to move products from their M Perf catalogue and the buyer doesn't have to deal with eschewing unwanted parts.
Appreciate 0