THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 8-Speed Auto Or 6-Speed Manual?

View Poll Results: Which Transmission did you get?
228i with 8-Speed Auto 17 9.34%
228i 6-Speed Manual 17 9.34%
M235i 8-Speed Auto 68 37.36%
M235i 6-Speed Manual 80 43.96%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #45
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba83
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO
6M/T......indeed. As mentioned in many prior posts i SOLD my 135i because after a wee bit of time with the paddles i became very very bored with the lack of being connected to my car. I no auto's have there place and are a tad faster than M/T and that lovely blip in between shifts with the auto was nice but still got bored on a daily basis within a half hour of driving.....ALSO
BMW has and so do other auto makes with hesitation when the car is driven in auto mode without paddles pulling into traffic at heavy throttle.... It dangerously hesitates when trying to get into FAST moving traffic and almost got me hit a few times..This is not so when in paddle shifting mode but in auto it really sucks and is dangerous pulling out quickly..I have warned my son about this many times as he now has my car .I have read that many folks have the same issue... Yea, i am old school as ALL my cars except the BMW 135i have been M/T and i ONLY bought the BMW with paddles because of a bum knee...Now the knee is well and can't wait for the M2 with M/T to be released so i can join back in the fun...Till then my Miata is keeping me entertained...actually very well entertained as it's a blast to drive on the twisties. M/T for the very big win in my book. !
I agree with you mostly but a bad manual will make you hate the car even if it is great in all other areas, i had to get rid of my cts-v with a manual because it felt like a tractor (cheapened the driving experienced) .
As will a bad automatic. Ever own a 2 speed gm power glide car or a rambler flash o matic ? I have.
      04-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #46
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Well figured coming into this thread would've helped me with making my decision easier. Def not but it's good to hear all the different views on the 8at/6mt.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #47
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
As will a bad automatic. Ever own a 2 speed gm power glide car or a rambler flash o matic ? I have.
I remember our 69 Chevy Impala with Powerglide. I don't remember it ever being in the wrong gear!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #48
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO89 View Post
Well figured coming into this thread would've helped me with making my decision easier. Def not but it's good to hear all the different views on the 8at/6mt.
You can't make a decision based on forum posts.
All you can get is personal opinions and experiences.
You really have to go and test drive the cars, and really test drive them for longer than just a few minutes and preset course most sales people want to guide on.

My opinion is based on my experience with a bad AT, so my opinions come from that. I try to post more open mindedly because one can't judge the whole trans or brand on just one experience.

I still think the ZF AT is fantastic and very worthy of trying even by die hard MT drivers, which I am part of, or was, and now am?
Anyway, if the AT in my 335i worked as it was designed to work I'd be MUCH happier and be able to enjoy my BMW more.
But as it is I stopped enjoying soon after the trans started performing oddly, and that was within a few months.

Dealer with the dealer tech's is a BS experience.
We don't have real mechanics or tech's these days.
If there is a customer complaint they hook it up to a computer and if the computer doesn't find any faulty, then they say the problem doesn't exist.
It's not that my trans doesn't work, it just doesn't work as it should, and that won't throw a code.

I'm really going to be adamant about fixing this trans when I get to the dealer this week. I've been too polite and accepting of their "no problem found" BS. I'm the one making payments not them.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #49
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
It's not that my trans doesn't work, it just doesn't work as it should, and that won't throw a code.
If it is any consolation it is a sporty car so smoothness isn't #1 priority. Look at Galardo, Vanguish etc: they had much rougher shifting transmissions. Also your automatic 8-speed will still be smoother than what 80% of the population driving a stick can achieve. Anyway, good luck resolving the problem. And if you can't: just drive like bat out of hell which should worsen the initial problem over time so at some point it can no longer be ignored by the dealer. After all that's what M235i is for, isn't it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #50
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
If it is any consolation it is a sporty car so smoothness isn't #1 priority. Look at Galardo, Vanguish etc: they had much rougher shifting transmissions. Also your automatic 8-speed will still be smoother than what 80% of the population driving a stick can achieve. Anyway, good luck resolving the problem. And if you can't: just drive like bat out of hell which should worsen the initial problem over time so at some point it can no longer be ignored by the dealer. After all that's what M235i is for, isn't it
I think he's referring to a 335?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #51
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11 View Post
We bought our 14 235i two weeks ago with the auto 8 speed and now we are ordering our second 235i via ED and I'm torn about getting another auto or the 6 speed manual.

what say you all?
6MT!

You need one of each - then we can have the ultimate comparison test!

To the OP - I got a 6MT M235
      04-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #52
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Both trans have there + and -....comes down to what YOU really want and all the rest is just opinions..But if you want to be locked in ALL THE TIME to your car CONNECTED all the time than the M/T is the way to go. I used to feel maybe i would like a auto for a change(Hence the 135i) when driving manuals all these years had me questioning that it might be nice to be able to put the car in auto and not have to worry about shifting.....And at times the auto was great for this, but after a very short time it left me...my left leg, my right hand on the shifter left out of the equation...and the paddles did not make up for the loss. With manuals you are part of the trans, part of the equation that your body physically is controlling with your leg and right arm....there is a feeling of satisfaction that only ROWING through the gears with your right hand on the shifter and your left leg controlling the clutch that can not be felt with paddles and never will....That said my friend who ownes a high end car dealership Interstate Motorsports here in NJ with Ferrari's etcetc questions why i would still want a manual shifter....As i could not tell it better i have a retired 70 year old Rutgers professor who shops in my store and raves about still being able to shift his 328i 6/M/T.....he is so proud of still being connected to driving through his MANUAL gearbox and like me know's that it's only a matter of time till they are gone,,that M/Tare a dying breed...MAkes me want a M/T even more and the M2 that will be parked in my garage will most likely be a lifer for me...My last M/T ????? LOL..maybe hopefully they will still make them in the years to come, but i doubt it..But i will have mine ready to go for my remaining years on this planet..LOL and it will be a glorious M2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      04-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #53
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Both trans have there + and -....comes down to what YOU really want and all the rest is just opinions..But if you want to be locked in ALL THE TIME to your car CONNECTED all the time than the M/T is the way to go. I used to feel maybe i would like a auto for a change(Hence the 135i) when driving manuals all these years had me questioning that it might be nice to be able to put the car in auto and not have to worry about shifting.....And at times the auto was great for this, but after a very short time it left me...my left leg, my right hand on the shifter left out of the equation...and the paddles did not make up for the loss. With manuals you are part of the trans, part of the equation that your body physically is controlling with your leg and right arm....there is a feeling of satisfaction that only ROWING through the gears with your right hand on the shifter and your left leg controlling the clutch that can not be felt with paddles and never will....That said my friend who ownes a high end car dealership Interstate Motorsports here in NJ with Ferrari's etcetc questions why i would still want a manual shifter....As i could not tell it better i have a retired 70 year old Rutgers professor who shops in my store and raves about still being able to shift his 328i 6/M/T.....he is so proud of still being connected to driving through his MANUAL gearbox and like me know's that it's only a matter of time till they are gone,,that M/Tare a dying breed...MAkes me want a M/T even more and the M2 that will be parked in my garage will most likely be a lifer for me...My last M/T ????? LOL..maybe hopefully they will still make them in the years to come, but i doubt it..But i will have mine ready to go for my remaining years on this planet..LOL and it will be a glorious M2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one of the best statements I have heard in a long time. Well said sir!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #54
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M235i 6MT

Do the manual transmissions still come with a Eco pro mode since the driver is deciding when to shift?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #55
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I believe so they just indicate when you should shift for best economy.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #56
JaF22MPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwhamc
I believe so they just indicate when you should shift for best economy.
Ok cool, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #57
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Hey guys

I'm ordering an M235i in a month or so, and I'm a bit torn on the transmission...I've always driven M/T and I love it...I love the engagement, hell and toeing, etc, but I was actually thinking of having the auto this time cause it's so high praised...

I though reading this thread would help, but it didn't...I know you guys will send me testdrive both, but that's not possible where I am! I drove a 2 series with a manual, and it's pretty typical bmw, though I found the travel a bit too much for what I'm used to (mazda 3 with M/T)...I've had a manual BMW 1 series before, and drove BMW's quite some times and I know the manuals always have that feel, and it's something you can't hate if not adore after getting used to...

My auto desire has much to do with it's general praise, but I'm afraid I'll regret it over that "connection" you get with manuals...

I find it kinda funny that the europeans are turning to auto and many americans to manual...anyway, I have a few doubts for the auto owners:

1 - which is more reliable? I guess manual, but is the auto something to worry about on the long run?

2 - I know all about heel and toe, changing gears fast, doing burnout, burning the tires as I pull away at a light, but can I do that with the auto (apart from the first 2 things of course)? How?

3 - I really trust a couple auto journalist, like Chris harris, and he loved the zf8, and that's a big reason why I'm leaning for it, but it seems some people regret having the auto, but (maybe) none regret the manual...do you find this true too?!

Thanks...sorry for the long post
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #58
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
Hey guys

I'm ordering an M235i in a month or so, and I'm a bit torn on the transmission...I've always driven M/T and I love it...I love the engagement, hell and toeing, etc, but I was actually thinking of having the auto this time cause it's so high praised...

I though reading this thread would help, but it didn't...I know you guys will send me testdrive both, but that's not possible where I am! I drove a 2 series with a manual, and it's pretty typical bmw, though I found the travel a bit too much for what I'm used to (mazda 3 with M/T)...I've had a manual BMW 1 series before, and drove BMW's quite some times and I know the manuals always have that feel, and it's something you can't hate if not adore after getting used to...

My auto desire has much to do with it's general praise, but I'm afraid I'll regret it over that "connection" you get with manuals...

I find it kinda funny that the europeans are turning to auto and many americans to manual...anyway, I have a few doubts for the auto owners:

1 - which is more reliable? I guess manual, but is the auto something to worry about on the long run?

2 - I know all about heel and toe, changing gears fast, doing burnout, burning the tires as I pull away at a light, but can I do that with the auto (apart from the first 2 things of course)? How?

3 - I really trust a couple auto journalist, like Chris harris, and he loved the zf8, and that's a big reason why I'm leaning for it, but it seems some people regret having the auto, but (maybe) none regret the manual...do you find this true too?!

Thanks...sorry for the long post

1. reliability shouldn't be much a factor in choosing an automatic or a mt. unless your planning on keep it for a decade, i doubt you'll run the zf8 to the ground, unless you're driving like a total douche.

2. you can do everything you listed here….. but why would you want to do a burnout..? With modern cars now a days, autos can do just as much as MT can.

3. don't be a follower and get where your heart leans to. go with what satisfies you. I've driven both auto and m/t and the zf8 is quick and great. but i would never settle for an auto no matter how good it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #59
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
1. reliability shouldn't be much a factor in choosing an automatic or a mt. unless your planning on keep it for a decade, i doubt you'll run the zf8 to the ground, unless you're driving like a total douche.

2. you can do everything you listed here….. but why would you want to do a burnout..? With modern cars now a days, autos can do just as much as MT can.

3. don't be a follower and get where your heart leans to. go with what satisfies you. I've driven both auto and m/t and the zf8 is quick and great. but i would never settle for an auto no matter how good it is.
X2. You will regret not getting the manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #60
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Just got mine tonight with the manual. I did consider the 8spd and thoroughly enjoyed my test drives in it. However, I just can't leave the 3 pedal setup. I love using my feet, might be a soccer thing.
only driven a few traffic filled miles. Felt good so far, still finding my ideal seating position.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:55 AM   #61
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
6M/T......indeed. As mentioned in many prior posts i SOLD my 135i because after a wee bit of time with the paddles i became very very bored with the lack of being connected to my car. I no auto's have there place and are a tad faster than M/T and that lovely blip in between shifts with the auto was nice but still got bored on a daily basis within a half hour of driving.....ALSO
BMW has and so do other auto makes with hesitation when the car is driven in auto mode without paddles pulling into traffic at heavy throttle.... It dangerously hesitates when trying to get into FAST moving traffic and almost got me hit a few times..This is not so when in paddle shifting mode but in auto it really sucks and is dangerous pulling out quickly..I have warned my son about this many times as he now has my car .I have read that many folks have the same issue... Yea, i am old school as ALL my cars except the BMW 135i have been M/T and i ONLY bought the BMW with paddles because of a bum knee...Now the knee is well and can't wait for the M2 with M/T to be released so i can join back in the fun...Till then my Miata is keeping me entertained...actually very well entertained as it's a blast to drive on the twisties. M/T for the very big win in my book. !
I was in your boat on the 135i DCT. I had hesitation in auto and manual mode. Almost 2 seconds at times.

This made me want to go back to manual every day. Then I really pestered the dealer a bit. I believe I had to ask them to update to the latest system integration level. I even sent them a TSB on it. They dismissed it at first and then actually looked at it when I pushed them.

So now the car does not hesitate. I feel like I have a lot more control over throttle and engine breaking. I don't yearn for a manual as much any more. However I will get an MT before I can't ever drive an MT. At the rate this is going we may have MT cars in a decade. The problem with this update is that gear kickdowns are really slow after the update. Overall the car is much more driveable.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #62
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

I initially ordered a 6mt as the no-brainier choice, as I've enjoyed the mt in my GTI after driving an automatic prior to it. Then I thought a little about it and switched the order to a zf8. I don't live in a city with major traffic issues, but the commute is still rather annoying in an mt. I enjoy some weekend drives, but it's not enough to compensate for the other days of the week. I view it from the more practical side, where a zf8 is a free option and the one that's been thoroughly praised by the British magazines. Better gas mileage just adds the cherry on top.

Ohh, and the clutch on my GTI blew up after 55k miles, shredding the flywheel and costing 2.5k in repairs. Don't believe that an mt is any more reliable than an automatic. If I was buying an m3/4 where I'm actually receiving a hefty discount for the mt, and had a second car, then a manual would be a more justifiable choice.
Appreciate 0