THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The Interior on these cars is absolute junk

Closed Thread

04-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #67
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
I don't think it's got to be like that. Just saying it's not as common as you think. Definitely happens on several models, I've seen these complaints even on the M4 forums but to put it into perspective, various other manufacturers have these issues as well. I had a IS350 that had a driver's side door unbearable creak as well as top of dash. Also, there were numerous 2nd gen IS recalls for melting dashes. Yes, your read that right! Dashes that would start melting and sagging like crazy. Never happened to me but Google it to get an idea. Also my girls CT200h has rattles coming from the rear seats so I don't think this is a BMW inferiority issue.
I mean its just a physics issue. Whenever there are plastic bits, glue, etc involved. At some point in time you will get things to loosen up. Coupled with the fact the 2 series is a bit stiffer, things can come undone. It also depends on how the car is kept, the heat ranges etc.

Like if you live in a varying climate where you have a big contrast between daytime heat and nighttime heat, the constant contraction and expansion of materials will absolutely lead to more rattles etc.

I used to notice the rattles more when its cold. No manufacturer or car is really immune to this, except some of the extremely high end brands where the thing is made by hand. (Rolls Royce).

I mean my soon to be inlaws have an ML350, and a 535, both of those rattle. My coworker had a lexus RX330, that was a giant rattle box. That guy now has an Audi TTS, brand spanking new, and boy, the rear hatch rattles, the seats rattle, there are unknown rattles behind the dash.

Hah over the few years ive been chasing rattles in my Z3 also. That's a whole other bag of fun. A car that's 17 years old with 200k on the clock, degrading plastic all sorts of places. Always a treasure hunt.

In my opinion there is a tolerable amount of creaks and rattles. If it occurs once in a while, under only certain conditions. I am cool with it. If it is happening all the time, then I will address the issue.

And while I had posted about this in the past (the rattles and squeaks in my 2), and they are annoying. But a minor annoyance is all they are. In the grand scheme of things, I love my 2, and in fact I had a loaner for a little bit longer time recently (brand new 330), drove it for a while etc. When I got the 235i back, I realized how much more fun this car is.
      04-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #68
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito310 View Post
Sounds like a lot of your problems are from having the "dealer" remove and reinstall things and not doing a good job at putting stuff back to how it should thus causing even more noises.

Before I installed my M Performance Electronic Steering wheel I too was having the creaking and popping noises coming from the bottom of the steering wheel. This as it turned out was a very simple fix. The entire trim piece is held on with a total of three screws. Two of which are under the airbag and one which is on the back of the wheel towards the bottom. It's just a matter of giving these three screws a tightening. Once done I can assure you that the noises you hear from the wheel will be gone. The noise from the steering column is from the two pieces not being properly clamped together. Again, this for me was fixed when I installed my new wheel as I had to take all this apart.

As for the other noises you hear... I can't really help you there as my car doesn't have these.
I noticed the screw behind the wheel. I'll try and give that a good tightening.
As for the other parts, I don't feel mechanically-inclined enough to start tinkering around the airbag (a section of cars I know nothing about), unless it's an easy spot to find?

thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #69
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Which, apparently, you were too lazy or POed to do yourself for the potential benefit of all of us?
Huh?

Quote:
Look: Your original post stated, based on your experience and yours only, that ALL 2 Series interiors are subpar regarding materials and fit and finish. That is simply not the case, and as the thread now bears out (despite my point later about the bias of forums), the majority of owners have not had near the issues you've had.
Except that most have had atleast one of my issues. I just happen to be the unlucky owner that is experiencing most, if not all the issues others have.

Quote:
What you should have done, OP, was state your issues and ask if anyone else had similar instead of going on a vulgarity-speckled rant about how 2 Series BMWs suck inside. They do not ...
Yup. Did that. Been doing that. Even have gotten PM's from people with the same issues as me asking if I've been able to get them resolved. The amount of threads, posts, and PM's on the subject of interiors drove me to my frustrated opinion.

Quote:
Your context, and your rant, was inappropriate and incorrect. So you were refuted by myself and a few others. learn from that, and get over it.
On what planet did you refute me? All I'm seeing is people going back and forth on their particular issues (which I've experienced in my 2 series aswell, atleast for the most part).

Listen, I love BMW's. That's why we're all here. But I'm not going to glorify an obvious flaw that seems to be a recurring issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #70
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
I had a IS350 that had a driver's side door unbearable creak as well as top of dash. Also, there were numerous 2nd gen IS recalls for melting dashes.
Hold the phone.. I've got a '07 Camry that has a dash that got sticky a couple years ago.. It's sticky as can be.. I've been ignoring it since I've got so many miles on it... I'm at 250K miles now.
      04-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #71
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Built in this plant..

Nice, thanks for posting the video.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #72
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xojustin View Post
I noticed the screw behind the wheel. I'll try and give that a good tightening.
As for the other parts, I don't feel mechanically-inclined enough to start tinkering around the airbag (a section of cars I know nothing about), unless it's an easy spot to find?

thank you

It's not hard at all. You just need to disconnect the negative end of the battery and proceed with steps 1-3 in this thread. In step 2 you don't even have to unplug anything since you'll have access to the two screws you need to tighten. Just simply tighten the two screws and the push the airbag back into place and your done.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1204092
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #73
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Except that most have had at least one of my issues. I just happen to be the unlucky owner that is experiencing most, if not all the issues others have.
Thank you for proving my point.

Quote:
Yup. Did that. Been doing that. Even have gotten PM's from people with the same issues as me asking if I've been able to get them resolved. The amount of threads, posts, and PM's on the subject of interiors drove me to my frustrated opinion.
Again: proof, please. The responses on this thread do not bear this out. One lousy rattle does not equal a "crap interior", as you so ineloquently state in this thread's subject line. Context.

Quote:
On what planet did you refute me? All I'm seeing is people going back and forth on their particular issues (which I've experienced in my 2 series aswell, at least for the most part).
In this post, this post, and this post. Others did in this post, this post, and this post. And that's just on the first page. Oh, and on this planet, too.

Quote:
Listen, I love BMW's. That's why we're all here. But I'm not going to glorify an obvious flaw that seems to be a recurring issue.
Thank you for proving your bias. I don't love BMWs; that's not why I'm here. I like the 2 Series. I own one. And, so, I'm here.

I've owned 14 cars and five motorcycles in my lifetime, and my 2 Series is well above average in terms of rattles, materials, and fit and finish. So: I'm not glorifying whatever this perceived issue is. To put it in a cliche: the consensus here is par for the course, man. Your particular case is not. But the consensus is.

You know what else? I'm an ex-journalist and critic who deeply understands the line between a real issue and a perceived one, both in terms of an individual arbitrary judgment and an empirically and objectively demonstrated one. I understand semantics. With a subject line such as "The Interior on these cars is absolute junk", which very plainly states that you believe ALL 2 Series interiors are crap, you plainly don't.

Good day.
Appreciate 3
Tpeterson156.50
M235iguy167.50
      04-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #74
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for proving your bias. I don't love BMWs; that's not why I'm here. I like the 2 Series. I own one. And, so, I'm here.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is what you seem to enjoy the most as there is no getting through to you. The fact that you're an ex-journalist somehow makes you think you have a right to attempt to talk down to me, as if us non-journalist plebs can't possibly understand the point you're making.

Also, your links where you refuted me is you stating your OPINION, nothing more. Futhermore, I am not retired like yourself and don't have all day tracking down links. There's a fucking search bar. Use it.

And upon driving into work today and hearing two of my noises getting worse and another rattle starting to develop, YUP, I will stick to my original word that the interiors on this car are shit.

Oh look another person PMing me with their issue! But yeah, I must be the only one with interior noise issues, huh?

Last edited by xojustin; 04-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #75
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Arguing for the sake of arguing is what you seem to enjoy the most as there is no getting through to you. The fact that you're an ex-journalist somehow makes you think you have a right to attempt to talk down to me, as if us non-journalist plebs can't possibly understand the point you're making.

Also, your links where you refuted me is you stating your OPINION, nothing more. Futhermore, I am not retired like yourself and don't have all day tracking down links. There's a fucking search bar. Use it.

And upon driving into work today and hearing two of my noises getting worse and another rattle starting to develop, YUP, I will stick to my original word that the interiors on this car are shit.

Oh look another person PMing me with their issue! But yeah, I must be the only one with interior noise issues, huh?
Keep assuming, pal.

Not retired. Just successful in my chosen profession(s).

Not opinion. I (and others) have stated why in previous posts.

And I do have every right to talk down to you because you talked down to EVERYone in your original post with unnecessary, unwarranted, and exaggerative generalization and vulgarity. Because of that, everyone in this forum has a right to talk down to you.

And, so ... reported.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #76
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

If anything else, it is entertaining reading this guys attempt to justify his car to the 2 series entire lineup. Oh! I just got another PM about how great the interior is on the 2 series...
      04-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #77
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I do have every right to talk down to you because you talked down to EVERYone in your original post with unnecessary, unwarranted, and exaggerative generalization and vulgarity. Because of that, everyone in this forum has a right to talk down to you.

And, so ... reported.

Report me for having an opinion that others share, makes sense. God forbid someone says something about a car you fanboy over. So does that mean I get to report you for being a complete dick?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #78
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
If anything else, it is entertaining reading this guys attempt to justify his car to the 2 series entire lineup. Oh! I just got another PM about how great the interior is on the 2 series...
Seriously? Get a room.

Sorry that I'm not adding to the fanboy circle jerk and that seems to upset you, m235iguy(sweet name, bro).

There's a lot of "I don't have these issues so they must not exist or you have a lemon" going on from you and it's ridiculous. I don't have to justify jack shit about anything, just literally calling it how I see it.

People that are too afraid to explain their issues that happen to agree with me on this thread in fear of getting reemed by asshats like yourself so they PM me.

Apparently that warrants you to laugh to yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #79
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seriously? Get a room.

Sorry that I'm not adding to the fanboy circle jerk and that seems to upset you, m235iguy(sweet name, bro).

There's a lot of "I don't have these issues so they must not exist or you have a lemon" going on from you and it's ridiculous. I don't have to justify jack shit about anything, just literally calling it how I see it.

People that are too afraid to explain their issues that happen to agree with me on this thread in fear of getting reemed by asshats like yourself so they PM me.

Apparently that warrants you to laugh to yourself?
      04-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #80
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Report me for having an opinion that others share, makes sense. God forbid someone says something about a car you fanboy over. So does that mean I get to report you for being a complete dick?
Might want to reread the forum rules.
      04-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #81
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If being a dick is out-ing abject exaggeration with empirical fact and consensus, not being afraid one iota of backing statements up (a skill developed over many years of being a music critic), supplying such facts and backup when prompted or asked, not using inappropriate language in my arguments, and admitting when I might be or am wrong ...

... yeah, sure. I'm a dick. Try to report me based on that and see how far you get. What you'll likely do is put me a step closer to becoming a mod -- which, by the way, I've been before on other forums.

I'm going to step away at this point. 2 Series interiors are fine. I hope you get your car's issues sorted. My parting advice would be to learn how to be realistic, as well as to learn how to suppress your frustration to communicate clearly and effectively.

#KeepingItReal
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #82
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Might want to reread the forum rules.
Get a life, bud.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #83
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If being a dick is out-ing abject exaggeration with empirical fact and consensus, not being afraid one iota of backing statements up (a skill developed over many years of being a music critic), supplying such facts and backup when prompted or asked, not using inappropriate language in my arguments, and admitting when I might be or am wrong ...

... yeah, sure. I'm a dick. Try to report me based on that and see how far you get. What you'll likely do is put me a step closer to becoming a mod -- which, by the way, I've been before on other forums.
Oh man, an ex-music critic AND a former forum moderator?!

Excuse me, sir.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #84
aelarson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Oh boy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #85
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I hereby withdraw my previous suggestion to buy a Benz.

Suffer with your 2.

🍿

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
M235iguy167.50
Closed Thread