THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

01-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #529
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer View Post
So obviously the 2 series is a great car and I am massively happy with the M235i that I picked up earlier this week.

However, one thing that is irritating is that the fuel warning/reserve light goes on with a quarter of the tank remaining. That means that I have to drive around for the next week with it on.

Annoying!

What's your number one pet peeve with your 2 series?
Have it coded for I come on closer to empty. Problem solved.
Attached Images

01-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #530
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Pulling the door handle twice to get out. WAY over-thinking things there...
The Germans don't trust you on the first pull! On the second pull they know for sure that you want to exit the vehicle.
Attached Images

02-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #531
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

That used to cheese me too (and my passengers) until I had somebody on here point it out as being able to unlock the door with the first pull. I've lived in enough big cities that I don't like my doors to auto unlock at 'park', so it is actually simpler to pull twice than to both unlock and open (especially now that I have the pattern down - passengers still need a reminder). I think you can set preferences to unlock the doors in park, or not lock them at all, and then it is just one pull.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #532
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Plus $12 shipping and handling. I did this as one of my first mods and even with the over priced shipping it was worth it.
I got it for $7.95 from Turner; no tax and no shipping.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #533
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redontheline
Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Plus $12 shipping and handling. I did this as one of my first mods and even with the over priced shipping it was worth it.
I got it for $7.95 from Turner; no tax and no shipping.
Yeah I'm picking mine up from sun tomorrow think $6 out the door.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #534
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Way more likes than dislikes with the car.

Certainly the double pull to get out isn't necessary, but acceptable. A lot is a matter of getting accustom to the car.

The one thing I wish it had was a digital speed read out option. My 2015 Mini S has it and at a glance I can tell how much over the limit I am.

So there is one annoyance, and maybe it's just because I cannot find out how to change it.

Using the Nav to find a destination, and reach it. Turn the Nav off, look down at my instrument cluster and see an Arrow appear where my fuel economy and ODO info was display. Push the button on the turn signal arm, get the info back, but then switches back to the arrow. Only way I found to clear it is shut the car off for a few minutes and then restart.

Fortunately I know where I'm going most of the time, so this isn't huge, but still annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #535
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Love the car

But seriously BMW......couldnt you have just givien us a button to turn all the damn nannies off?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #536
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Using the Nav to find a destination, and reach it. Turn the Nav off, look down at my instrument cluster and see an Arrow appear where my fuel economy and ODO info was display. Push the button on the turn signal arm, get the info back, but then switches back to the arrow. Only way I found to clear it is shut the car off for a few minutes and then restart.

Fortunately I know where I'm going most of the time, so this isn't huge, but still annoying.
Ugh, this. I get this too. How do you get this darn arrow to go away?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #537
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Love the car

But seriously BMW......couldnt you have just givien us a button to turn all the damn nannies off?
Ummmm....there is. It's called DSC Off. Hold down the traction control bottom for about 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #538
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Ummmm....there is. It's called DSC Off. Hold down the traction control bottom for about 5 seconds.
Yea....go into sport mode/sport plus to firm up suspension and improve throttle response and disable it and DTC comes on......

I wonder if BMW should have Sport, Sport + and Sport ++ aka DIE NANNIES!!! modes

In classic german mode they've taken something that should be simple and made it hard
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #539
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Way more likes than dislikes with the car.

Certainly the double pull to get out isn't necessary, but acceptable. A lot is a matter of getting accustom to the car.

The one thing I wish it had was a digital speed read out option. My 2015 Mini S has it and at a glance I can tell how much over the limit I am.

So there is one annoyance, and maybe it's just because I cannot find out how to change it.

You can get the digital speed reading with coding. If you're not comfortable doing the coding yourself, there are businesses that can do it for you remotely. I had CodeMyCare do mine and highly recommend them. They did a few things for me, including activation of Enhanced Bluetooth. All in, I think it was about $250. Well worth it to me for everything completed and if I lose the coding due to a reset by BMW when I get it serviced, they recode it at no additional charge.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #540
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I love my stripped down 2 series RWD 6MT...except for 2 doors.

The car needs a 4 door option ...

Waiting for the 2019
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #541
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Isn't the 3 series essentially a 4-door 2 series? They are so close, at least to me, that I can't see why they would go through the trouble to try to create something that splits the diff (only 5" diff in wheelbase between the 2 and 3, so a 4-door 2 would slot in the middle of that?). I guess I'm biased, as I've only put people in the back seat a handful of times.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #542
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
Isn't the 3 series essentially a 4-door 2 series? They are so close, at least to me, that I can't see why they would go through the trouble to try to create something that splits the diff (only 5" diff in wheelbase between the 2 and 3, so a 4-door 2 would slot in the middle of that?). I guess I'm biased, as I've only put people in the back seat a handful of times.
Drive them back to back then see where you stand on that statement.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #543
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd agree here. BMW has already chopped, sliced and diced their offerings for the market into so many little pieces that adding a 4-door 2 Series Gran Coupe really makes no sense to me, especially in light of their recent statements about the need to consolidate their offerings, as opposed to expanding them. I had the opportunity to spend some time in a 328 loaner and it really didn't seem all that much larger than my 2er. Granted I didn't explore it's acceleration and handling to the limit but in a day-to-day commuting environment it also wasn't much different than my car. If I needed a 4 door sedan or better yet a wagon, I'd happily look at a 3 Series but I'd definitely want the 335/340 version. No matter how nice the 2 liter four is, I love the sound and feel of the BMW straight six.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      02-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #544
kevinf
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Yeah I used to be annoyed by this too. There was someone who said the arrow remains in your instrument cluster so that if you are trying to find parking or someting like that where it will be a bit further from the destination, the arrow can tell you the direction where your destination is (if that makes sense).

The only way i have gotten rid of it is to program one of the 1-9 shortcuts as a shortcut for stopping/starting guidance. I press it twice (once to start guidance again and another time to stop) and this will get rid of the arrow.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50
      02-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #545
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you mean that the 3 series doesn't feel nearly as sporting as the 2, then I know just what you mean, but to me this seemed mostly a function of tuning, given how similar the chassis dimensions are. I can't imagine how you could add 2 doors w/o also adding the weight and size that would bring the 2 up so close to the 3 that it seems simpler to just improve the 3's dynamics.

But I must admit, a 4-door 2 would not ever have occurred to me, so I may be just missing the point somehow. I think I've seen you post that you have a deposit down on one if/when - what are your thoughts on what it would add?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #546
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
You can disable the arrow from the iDrive settings.
      02-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #547
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
If you mean that the 3 series doesn't feel nearly as sporting as the 2, then I know just what you mean, but to me this seemed mostly a function of tuning, given how similar the chassis dimensions are. I can't imagine how you could add 2 doors w/o also adding the weight and size that would bring the 2 up so close to the 3 that it seems simpler to just improve the 3's dynamics.

But I must admit, a 4-door 2 would not ever have occurred to me, so I may be just missing the point somehow. I think I've seen you post that you have a deposit down on one if/when - what are your thoughts on what it would add?
OK so leaving my current 235 xDrive convertible out of the discussion because it's heavier and the chassis dynamics aren't as good by nature of what it is, but comparing to my 235 coupe...

I've driven a 340 sport / track package for about a week. GF has a 328 that I drive at least a few times per week, and dad has the Dinan sport wagon that I bought him. So while I don't drive a 3-series every day, I have enough experience in just about every variant you can get to have a good feel for it. I will also add that I borrowed a 435 GC from the dealer for a week when I was seriously thinking about one and really liked it, maybe better than the 340 sedan. But I don't think it's worth the price premium. Handling dynamics and looks though go to the GC IMO. I also like that it's different than the sedan which you see all over the place.

All that said here's where I'd think the 2 GC would win. The 3 has gotten bigger and bigger, to the point where it's about the same size as the 5-series I grew up driving. I don't think the 2 GC needs to get a whole lot bigger compared to the coupe to work. If you need to put adults in the back seat every day not the best option. But I think the handling will be better, the car will be lighter (at least some) and the driving dynamics and weight distribution will be better. Lower to the ground, tires closer to the corners, etc. I think it's a real winner if you love the coupe but just can't make it work. I take my dog in one of the other cars typically because it's easier to get him in the back. That or small kids, easy to get in and out. I also really like the hatch back style for utility of throwing stuff back there. In the looks department it's going to be pretty awesome too.

The current 340 if properly equipped is a very, very nice car. On US roads, if we are all honest with ourselves, that's about as much as you need. Just think the 2 GC will be closer to the smaller 3s of the past that we all love, with a modern power plant and all the bells and whistles. So assuming you don't need the extra back seat room and can work with the 2, while I think the 3 is very very good I have hopes that the 2 GC will be great.

My car shopping habits are also a bit unique, so take what I want and what I am looking at with a grain of salt. I plan to keep the convertible, always have access to dad's wagon or whatever he is driving (in the last year that has included a Macan, Allroad and now the BMW) and will keep his last car whatever that is. GF will have the sedan or possibly a GT next (crap by comparison but she's a realtor so there are major benefits for her). So really I am not so much looking for the "best car" but trying to fill gaps in the portfolio. Which is why with everything else I'd look to an M2 GC or even RWD 240 GC, but if I had my car and just my car I'd get a 240 xDrive and call it a day.

Last edited by BEM-S4; 02-13-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      02-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #548
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2 vs 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Here Here, Plus 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #549
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
You can disable the arrow from the iDrive settings.
Thanks, I'll have to check the manual and see if I can find the section that discusses it. Seems like when something pops up in the car that needs explaining or a way to change it, trying to find the answer in the car menu owners manual or the print version is pretty difficult.

Had similar problems with the 2015 MINI (BMW) and finally it took a visit to the dealer to figure out how to do something. Funny thing was, when I showed him what I was doing to make the change, he'd never seen that before (and the menu options my method displayed)..so he learned something also.

Dunno know if its a European to maybe a German thing, but approaches to designing menus and selections seem to be less intuitive than the U.S. stuff.
Not trashing it or saying it worse or better, just different. In much the same way when a German counts using his fingers, "1" starts with the thumb while in the U.S. we tend to start with the index finger and end with the thumb. however, I digress.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #550
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD1953 View Post
I love my stripped down 2 series RWD 6MT...except for 2 doors.

The car needs a 4 door option ...

Waiting for the 2019
I should have added that I do quite a bit of "driving the six grand kids around"(2 or 3 at a time).

Two extra doors while shifting/clutching through the gears would be nice on days I take the 2er coupe out !

And yes...the 3 series "seems a bit to big" as a 2nd auto...I have a MB 350 ML for a "big rig to drive around".
Appreciate 0