THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

03-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #177
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-BM35i View Post
Will do ! Not sure which tune to install 1st....what fun
Anything you can share with us at this point?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #178
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
AlexGT chaddy74
How is it going? recorded any fun videos yet?
Hey ROBNYC , not yet bro, I was on a business trip last week... but, on Saturday I went to the exhaust shop to install my ER catted downpipe... that little tube combined with the RaceChip made my car a beast , now I'm actually having traction problems when I step on the gas to the floor, the car loose traction so easy man.... I hope it gets better traction when my new tires (I upgraded to 19' wheels and tires) past over 600kms of driving. I'll keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #179
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Anything you can share with us at this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Hey ROBNYC , not yet bro, I was on a business trip last week... but, on Saturday I went to the exhaust shop to install my ER catted downpipe... that little tube combined with the RaceChip made my car a beast , now I'm actually having traction problems when I step on the gas to the floor, the car loose traction so easy man.... I hope it gets better traction when my new tires (I upgraded to 19' wheels and tires) past over 600kms of driving. I'll keep you guys posted
I finally went on and posted the Graphs received them late here's the thread
Dinan vs Racechip on the same X3 28i (N20)
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1098282

Hahaha congrats Alex, I am getting Intercooler & Chargepipe before Catted DP and then Intake but have to find out and see which one for N20 will fit the X3 too most makers have 0 for my X, and I can't look into the X5 because its all 35i/50i lol.

Would love to see some before and after videos man start uploading on youtube =)

rustyminded you see RaceChip w/ SupportingMods + PerformanceMods is going to be fun to see how it matches JB4 =P (No cheating on E85 wires though)

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #180
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
I finally went on and posted the Graphs received them late here's the thread
Dinan vs Racechip on the same X3 28i (N20)
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1098282

Hahaha congrats Alex, I am getting Intercooler & Chargepipe before Catted DP and then Intake but have to find out and see which one for N20 will fit the X3 too most makers have 0 for my X, and I can't look into the X5 because its all 35i/50i lol.

Would love to see some before and after videos man start uploading on youtube =)

rustyminded you see RaceChip w/ SupportingMods + PerformanceMods is going to be fun to see how it matches JB4 =P (No cheating on E85 wires though)
I don't have before videos unfortunately Rob I just have one where I compare the OEM exhaust with the MPE... but we can use that video for you to see (hear) the difference with the ER downpipe once I take a video this weekend

The Wagner Performance Intercooler was the second thing I installed after the MPE and before doing any more performance mods btw, you should upgrade your IC too

Now about the intake, I would suggest to test a drop in filter either from K&N or BMC before thinking on a $500 investment
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #181
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
were you able to get readings on the same car with box unplugged (stock) ?
Quote:
I don't have before videos unfortunately Rob I just have one where I compare the OEM exhaust with the MPE... but we can use that video for you to see (hear) the difference with the ER downpipe once I take a video this weekend

The Wagner Performance Intercooler was the second thing I installed after the MPE and before doing any more performance mods btw, you should upgrade your IC too

Now about the intake, I would suggest to test a drop in filter either from K&N or BMC before thinking on a $500 investment
Oh yes i want the IC for sure, not too crazy about the intake yet since I rather do ChargePipe with the IC. I would not spend $500 on intake lol.

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #182
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Just ordered my RaceChips Ultimate controller today. Service with the car went well yesterday and worked enough overtime this weekend to pay for new add-on. Will post my reactions and comments next weekend after it arrives and installed; else I will do like the Dinan Stage 1 and return it back for a refund.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #183
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2Comp

Quote:
Just ordered my RaceChips Ultimate controller today. Service with the car went well yesterday and worked enough overtime this weekend to pay for new add-on. Will post my reactions and comments next weekend after it arrives and installed; else I will do like the Dinan Stage 1 and return it back for a refund.
Excellent... Can't wait for your feedback...

I haven't installed mine as yet...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #184
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Just finished installing the RaceChips Ultimate on my M235i tonight. The harness kit is excellent and even easier to install than any others I have used (BMS, aFe, Dinan). The plugs are basically the same as the BMS and aFe, but the big difference is you don't have to worry about which plug goes to which MAP sensor in the car! I was confused by this in the instructions not indicating which plug to use on the appropriate MAP sensor so I gave them a phone call (immediate answer). As explained by RaceChips USA over the phone, you don't need to worry about which plug to use, the ECU piggyback box sorts the signals out automatically for you. Now that is really idiot proof for sure.

After I completed the installation I left the reset plug into the end of cable and gave the car a quick start to check for engine codes or issues; wasn't 100% sold that you can plug the cable into either MAP sensor. No codes, and no errors, so I unplug and removed the reset plug and plugged the RaceChips Ultimate computer in. Started up the car and took it for my usually 1 1/2 mile loop test around the neighborhood.

Now I have tried 3 other piggyback units on my M235i and each one of them deliver more noticeable power with the aFe being the best of the 3. No bullshit! The RaceChip Ultimate is by far the most torque I have experienced yet. I know you have read from others that "It's the Bomb" and "It breaks traction just after throttle tip in", but I can tell you that they are right on the money. With car in Sport mode I was spinning the right rear wheel through the first 3 gear shifts. It was wet outside, but I never felt torque like this before in the car!

Will take the car out again on a dry day this coming weekend and see how my impression fairs. As of now, it is by far the best piggyback I have tried. Makes me wonder if I change the settings even higher what it would feel like, scary. If I wasn't getting rid of the car next year I would consider adding the limited slip differential just to keep the traction even instead of the one wheel spins I'm getting right now in the rain.
Appreciate 4
      03-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #185
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Update to one higher setting and watch what happens !! It will blow your mind how fast the car becomes
Quote:
Just finished installing the RaceChips Ultimate on my M235i tonight. The harness kit is excellent and even easier to install than any others I have used (BMS, aFe, Dinan). The plugs are basically the same as the BMS and aFe, but the big difference is you don't have to worry about which plug goes to which MAP sensor in the car! I was confused by this in the instructions not indicating which plug to use on the appropriate MAP sensor so I gave them a phone call (immediate answer). As explained by RaceChips USA over the phone, you don't need to worry about which plug to use, the ECU piggyback box sorts the signals out automatically for you. Now that is really idiot proof for sure.

After I completed the installation I left the reset plug into the end of cable and gave the car a quick start to check for engine codes or issues; wasn't 100% sold that you can plug the cable into either MAP sensor. No codes, and no errors, so I unplug and removed the reset plug and plugged the RaceChips Ultimate computer in. Started up the car and took it for my usually 1 1/2 mile loop test around the neighborhood.

Now I have tried 3 other piggyback units on my M235i and each one of them deliver more noticeable power with the aFe being the best of the 3. No bullshit! The RaceChip Ultimate is by far the most torque I have experienced yet. I know you have read from others that "It's the Bomb" and "It breaks traction just after throttle tip in", but I can tell you that they are right on the money. With car in Sport mode I was spinning the right rear wheel through the first 3 gear shifts. It was wet outside, but I never felt torque like this before in the car!

Will take the car out again on a dry day this coming weekend and see how my impression fairs. As of now, it is by far the best piggyback I have tried. Makes me wonder if I change the settings even higher what it would feel like, scary. If I wasn't getting rid of the car next year I would consider adding the limited slip differential just to keep the traction even instead of the one wheel spins I'm getting right now in the rain.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #186
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:

How happy I am that I'm not the only one that felt this! Good to know the RaceChip is working that well for you Delnari !

I'm having problems with traction too, more torque and lighter wheels for me, bad combination maybe?

Now, do you have Downpipe installed? If you don't put that and you'll be more amazed than you are right now, I can assure you that. I've gotten 402HP readings on my ScanGauge II since I installed the DP in combination with the RaceChip (at default settings)
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #187
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the good words AlexGT and chaddy74. I will probably bump the settings from the current default setting of "B" to "D" over the weekend. Back to driving my motorcycle to work this week so I won't be behind the wheel until then. No downpipe installed, just the aFe intake and M Performance muffler. If the torque increases much more it maybe too much for the open differential to really enjoy it. Will post my results this weekend.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #188
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
From RacingPowerSports with the forum member discount ?

Quote:

I agree the surge of Torque is unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
Update to one higher setting and watch what happens !! It will blow your mind how fast the car becomes
Yes 1 more after lets say 50 miles if you feel the need for it

Quote:
How happy I am that I'm not the only one that felt this! Good to know the RaceChip is working that well for you Delnari !

I'm having problems with traction too, more torque and lighter wheels for me, bad combination maybe?

Now, do you have Downpipe installed? If you don't put that and you'll be more amazed than you are right now, I can assure you that. I've gotten 402HP readings on my ScanGauge II since I installed the DP in combination with the RaceChip (at default settings)
Post some ScanGuage II pics I want to see how it looks

Quote:
Thanks for the good words AlexGT and chaddy74. I will probably bump the settings from the current default setting of "B" to "D" over the weekend. Back to driving my motorcycle to work this week so I won't be behind the wheel until then. No downpipe installed, just the aFe intake and M Performance muffler. If the torque increases much more it maybe too much for the open differential to really enjoy it. Will post my results this weekend.
Don't skip C, always go up by 1 test for 50 miles and go for it. I know some jump right into whatever number but its always good to drive those 50 miles in stock so your car adapts and learns etc better safe than sorry
You got obdlink or scangauge too ?

Post some video guys of stepping on the Accelerator with RaceChip =D

Appreciate 2
      03-10-2015, 10:51 PM   #189
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Delnari
This is an awesome review, the RC sounds like the ultimate... Lol
If traction is an issue then that is a problem indeed... Need bigger tackies then but the m performance rim ones are crazy expensive... Plus the Std Mag rims are great looking as is

I'm keen to hear how it is in the dry weather!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #190
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

From RC Germany head office below-reply to my query on the quoted performance figures on therei Eur website-

'
The race chip is inserted between the ECU and fuel injection.

Normally, the engine control unit sends the data directly to the injection system. With the Race chip data from the engine control unit are intercepted and optimized depending on driving conditions.

In addition, the Race chip is active only when you need the power.

To shut down and consequently motor sparing.

With RaceChip we change the values of the vehicle, the injection, the injection quantity, injection time and the injection timing can be optimized. Also the boost pressure will increase to max 0,2 bar. This optimization results in an increase in output and a fuel economy.

The values indicated on our website are calculated maximum values are reached. Not every vehicle reaches these values as it is also dependent on the tolerance of the vehicle series.

Our chip is mainly active in the acceleration and pulling phase. The working range is approximately 1500-3500 r / min.

The speed limit does not change normally.

We supply the chip with a basic setting for your vehicle.

With this starting point, you have a power increase of about 18-20%, this is the best compromise between fuel economy and more power.
'
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:03 PM   #191
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

18 to 20 percent... Massive
I'm sure the tyres are in for some smoking...
Can you imagine on Max settings...it'll be like the m4... If codes don't Appear on Max then I'll be amazed
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #192
M2-BM35i
Private First Class
Rep

Hi guys. A quick question-

Have you found your performance exhaust to become much louder with the rc?

and have the exhaust flap sounds become much louder on gear changes?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:52 AM   #193
mikezulu18
Private
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M235I MT

I'm feeling like I want to give this a shot. Who was the member that was saying we could pm for a discount code or discounted price? Delnari's review sold me since he has tried every piggyback for this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #194
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezulu18 View Post
I'm feeling like I want to give this a shot. Who was the member that was saying we could pm for a discount code or discounted price? Delnari's review sold me since he has tried every piggyback for this car.
ROBNYC can hook you up with a discount. I went directly through RaceChip so I could take advantage of the full warranty they offer when purchased directly. You can save $79 through the discount though. I read on the 3 Forum where a early user had trouble installing the cables correctly and RaceChip USA gave initial help, but after a while they referred them to a policy of buying direct gives extended warranty services.

Last edited by Delnari; 03-11-2015 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #195
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys. A quick question-

Have you found your performance exhaust to become much louder with the rc?

and have the exhaust flap sounds become much louder on gear changes?
The exhaust is as loud as it is with or without the upgrade. To be honest the M235i is a very quiet interior and if you disable Active Sound through coding you would not hear very much at all. This car is way different than my WRX were you could feel the upgraded exhaust given the cars lack of installation.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #196
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezulu18 View Post
Big hi5 to Delnari he has definitely brought the light to the M235 folks. My buddy TShoot has also tried every tune for the 535 and he has Racechip for the past 2-3 months.

Quote:
ROBNYC can hook you up with a discount. I will directly through RaceChip so I could take advantage of the full warranty they offer when purchased directly. You can save $69 through the discount though.
RacingPowerSports is an official USA Dealer to RC-Germany and yes he has given me the code to provide to forum members for $600 flat deal , RC_USA site is also official USA Dealer to RC-Germany and their price is $679 (was lowered recently) but do not offer discount and both dealers have warranty.

Quote:
From RC Germany head office below-reply to my query on the quoted performance figures on therei Eur website-
'
The race chip is inserted between the ECU and fuel injection.

Normally, the engine control unit sends the data directly to the injection system. With the Race chip data from the engine control unit are intercepted and optimized depending on driving conditions.

In addition, the Race chip is active only when you need the power.

To shut down and consequently motor sparing.

With RaceChip we change the values of the vehicle, the injection, the injection quantity, injection time and the injection timing can be optimized. Also the boost pressure will increase to max 0,2 bar. This optimization results in an increase in output and a fuel economy.

The values indicated on our website are calculated maximum values are reached. Not every vehicle reaches these values as it is also dependent on the tolerance of the vehicle series.

Our chip is mainly active in the acceleration and pulling phase. The working range is approximately 1500-3500 r / min.

The speed limit does not change normally.

We supply the chip with a basic setting for your vehicle.

With this starting point, you have a power increase of about 18-20%, this is the best compromise between fuel economy and more power.
'
Some vehicles come in 10-12% power increase, the 18-20% is probably for the M235 and 550/X5 50i (V8)
Going to Dynojet end of the month will see if baseline to stock setting to other settings runs.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #197
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Hi Delnari
This is an awesome review, the RC sounds like the ultimate... Lol
If traction is an issue then that is a problem indeed... Need bigger tackies then but the m performance rim ones are crazy expensive... Plus the Std Mag rims are great looking as is

I'm keen to hear how it is in the dry weather!
I have the M Performance Style 405 forged 19" wheels... I think that is one of my problems now, I did the comparative numbers and I drop 2 lbs on each wheel and tire on the front and 4.2lbs on each on the rear! So with Racechip giving so much torque and in addition of the ER catted downpipe, lighter wheels made my car loose so much traction it gets scary sometimes.

So my advice is, stick with the OEM wheels if your doing Racechip and Downpipe upgrade
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #198
Guyhim1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

I installed my RC about two weeks ago so here is my short review:
Installation was straight forward ( honestly the hardest part was to unlock the sensors)
I let the car sit for 20 min prior to disconnecting anything. i put the unit on the top right under the black plastic cover - it sits great and not moving.

first start- no CEL or issues.
first drive- took around the block on the way to the highway- did not notice a big change but there is a million stop signs in my block .
Noise- can def hear the whistle/air suction more ( i have an aFE as well)

on the highway -first drive on the highway - nice difference in acceleration biggest change that actually got me by surprise was when i floored it at around 40MPH and the car jumped forward !

200 miles on it now- No issues at all. very happy with it
i send a email to paul from RC regrading upping the map after i found a gas station that sells race gas so now i can mix to get higher octane. He is super responsive and customer service is great. he is looking into what mix i should do and what map to use to maximize the chip .

Right now i am using 91 octane and AFE intake. i am waiting fir dinan to finally release their S2 Power kit and see whats that all about , although it will prob be around the 5-6K
Appreciate 4