THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Matching dampers for M Performance springs

01-31-2024, 05:14 PM   #1
toaster_strudel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i RWD ZF 8HP

Matching dampers for M Performance springs

I have an M235i RWD with the M Performance springs and EDC. While the springs help mitigate roll and don't ride appreciably worse, I'm wondering if the slightly loose, unsettled feel would be improved with passive dampers, since I can't imagine that the stock EDC would be perfectly matched with the increased spring rates. I only drive in sport suspension mode, so comfort isn't a huge priority for me. Would it be worth it to code out EDC and install the matching M Performance damper kit, since that should ideally be matched to the springs? If anyone has experience with this swap or with the passive M Performance dampers, impressions would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:37 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster_strudel View Post
I have an M235i RWD with the M Performance springs and EDC. While the springs help mitigate roll and don't ride appreciably worse, I'm wondering if the slightly loose, unsettled feel would be improved with passive dampers, since I can't imagine that the stock EDC would be perfectly matched with the increased spring rates. I only drive in sport suspension mode, so comfort isn't a huge priority for me. Would it be worth it to code out EDC and install the matching M Performance damper kit, since that should ideally be matched to the springs? If anyone has experience with this swap or with the passive M Performance dampers, impressions would be much appreciated.
I believe the MP coilover kit is identical to KW v3 dampers (spring rates may be different between the MP and KW v3 kits). Having the ability to independently adjust R and C damping will allow you to dial it into the performance or comfort level you want. One huge downside to the MP coilovers is KW will not rebuild them and BMW won’t help you out either (you’ll get a replacement damper if it’s still within the warranty period but I believe it has to be installed at a BMW dealer to get the warranty). However, this is definitely a better option than MP springs on stock struts/shocks.

The MP springs are probably 10-15% stiffer than stock. For a damper, that’s a small change in stiffness so the stock dampers should have no problem controlling the higher rates especially with EDC. I doubt you’ll run into any damper reliably/longevity issues because BMW won’t lower the car too much relative to stock so the dampers will be fine. Non-edc damper kits can have a better comfort level yet match, or better, the performance of the stock EDC dampers with MP springs.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 05:24 PM   #3
toaster_strudel
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply! I believe the MP coilover kit you're referring to is only available for F8X cars - the one I linked is just a set of non-adjustable dampers that mount in the exact same way as the stock ones do, with the divorced spring and damper configuration. I have no idea which manufacturer is the supplier for these. For the F22 M235i, BMW offers two MP options as per the installation instructions:

1. (My current setup) MP springs + bumpstops with the stock EDC dampers and no additional coding.
2. For passive cars, MP springs, bumpstops + the dampers I linked.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that if I coded out EDC to switch to option 2, that kit would likely exceed the stock EDC dampers in terms of damping quality? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster_strudel View Post
Thanks for the reply! I believe the MP coilover kit you're referring to is only available for F8X cars - the one I linked is just a set of non-adjustable dampers that mount in the exact same way as the stock ones do, with the divorced spring and damper configuration. I have no idea which manufacturer is the supplier for these. For the F22 M235i, BMW offers two MP options as per the installation instructions:

1. (My current setup) MP springs + bumpstops with the stock EDC dampers and no additional coding.
2. For passive cars, MP springs, bumpstops + the dampers I linked.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that if I coded out EDC to switch to option 2, that kit would likely exceed the stock EDC dampers in terms of damping quality? Thanks again!
I glossed right over your links. Sorry about that. I have a f22 M240ix and I did not know the F22 M235i M Performance Suspension Kit existed. I’d have to do some research on the kit before I can answer your questions. Nevertheless, a kw v3, or even better an Ohlins R&T kit, would improve handling and improve comfort relative to the stock edc setup. I installed MCS 2WR dampers with F/R 500/800 lbf/in spring rates on my wife’s M240ix and the ride is so much better. It’s actually impossible to convey it thru words, you must experience first hand. She is so spoiled now! She now wants all of our cars to have MCS setups!

Last edited by M3SQRD; 02-11-2024 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2024, 09:12 PM   #5
toaster_strudel
Registered
Rep

My curiosity got the better of me, so I ordered the kit and had it installed.

Since the original EDC struts had around 63k miles on them, this isn't an exactly fair comparison, but I believe the new dampers are a substantial improvement versus the stock EDC dampers with the M performance springs. They feel firmer, yet more settled over bad pavement and less harsh during sudden impacts. Although this could be placebo, there also seems to be less dive under braking and pitching over pavement undulations. This leads me to believe they have a more properly digressive damping curve. The comfort doesn't seem meaningfully diminished.

I would recommend this strongly as an OEM+ configuration as long as you're willing to forego the adaptive suspension functionality.
Appreciate 0